If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Pacers: The End

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by DismalChips, May 24, 2018.

1. Cartman

Cartman Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I think that, for short distances, they are passable. Maybe they could be just used on fairly short turns on purely off peak times until they are replaced. I remember similar moans about 1st generation DMUs at about the time pacers were introduced

2. 30567

30567 Well-Known Member Friend

I completely agree they are poor on long journeys especially on jointed track. We turned up at Leeds to go to Morecambe ten days ago to find no train for the 1018 and a platform alteration. I talked to the crew--- they didn't know anything. I talked to the despatcher--- Neville Hill was one unit short this morning, everything has been shuffled around, this one is coming from Knottingley at 1025. Yes you've guessed it , a Pacer. Not great, though I must say the windows are good for scenic routes and for tall people the seat pitch is far from the worst.

Question is---- what are Northern to do? There are unit delivery delays from Spain, there are electrification delays from NR, there is a more ambitious timetable to fulfill. In my opinion, for routes like the Leeds--Knottingley---Wakefield-- Knottingley--Leeds circuit or Lancaster--Morecambe, they are OK. Certainly they are better than an emergency thinning out of the December timetable. If they have to run till May instead of Dec, no big deal.

Cartman likes this.
  3. Cartman

Cartman Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    On good track they're not too bad, Alderley to Piccadilly is a decent turn for them, it's smooth welded rail, not hugely overcrowded and only about a 30 minute run.

4. Ploughman

Ploughman Well-Known Member

Ex a lot of things.
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I see elsewhere that there was a move of 3 units to Worksop yesterday, - 142016/022/025
    3 more are due from Heaton tomorrow.