If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

P.S Lincoln Castle

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by mulligatawny, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    No Stan - To take over the ship we would have had to move her from where she currently is.

Our consultant's costs were :-

1 A pontoon at £700k

2 To float her off the pontoon we would have needed to double the entire hull below the waterline - another £700k.

Those figures did not include the cost of removing and then replacing the superstructure to get her below the fixed span road bridge, or finding a berth - any berth - where she could have been kept pending identifying, funding and implementing any long term restoration.

I trust that satisfactorily explodes your misconception that the nasty PSPS was just dreaming up figures to give you another reason to browbeat them after your previous disagreement with some decision taken years ago.

The society was dealing in facts when the decision was taken - unpalatable and hard to accept given that the result probably condemned the ship - but we do not have £1.5m and it would have been suicidal as well as contrary to Charity Law to put all the other projects in which the society is involved at risk by behaving as if we did. if I had been sitting round the Council table that day I would have agreed with them.

It can be hard living in the real world - you should try it sometime

2. stan the man

stan the man Member

Mr Gradwell you do not even know me so please do not tell me what world I live in.

Thanks

Stan

3. stan the man

stan the man Member

Very sad pictures on the Lincoln Castle website now destruction is underway.

Even sadder its been allowed to happen.

Stan

4. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Stan

What would you have done ?

you have consistently criticised the PSPS in the face of Frank's reasonable explanations . How he has kept his cool under the provocation you have offered is to be admired

Not once in this thread have you offered an alternative and viable solution that didn't involve someone doing it for you

5. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Be that as it may Martin but unlike many on this forum Stan has restored something with his own hands and money.

6. Guest

Occasional

But nevertheless he can't and won't understand why those in charge of a Registered Charity with limited resources, and almost limitless responsibilities now, took a prudent view to stand back, but nonetheless encourage the local presence, who have eventually suffered a rebuff that may well have come our way if we had gone ahead.

Preservation at that level requires more than competence with a spanner and a welding torch. It needs legal, professional and financial skills - and good business brains too. Those brains - in multiple, together took the only sensible route.

7. stan the man

stan the man Member

For what its worth I am passionate about steam ships and I find it extremely sad how this vessel has been destoyed, also for whats it worth I have personally made large contributions over the years to many ship preservation societys so I do put my money where my mouth is.

Perhaps a few folk on here need to realise that the way things are going other than the wonderful PS Waverely we will not have any other paddlers that are capable of plying the seas.

The PSPS have done and still do sterling work but mistakes have been made. I am well aware of the continued struggled waverely has to remain active (and that why I will be spending my hard earned ££ sailing on her in the next couple of weeks) but the PSPS were really PS Lincoln castles last chance, when they turned her down that spelt the end for her. The PSPS may have had their reasons but thats all by the by now.

Also for the record (like many folk who read these pages) I have personally spent well in access of 100K in restoring my own projects not to mention many 1000"s of hours doing so (not for financial gain either) but merely for my own and others pleasure.

As for Franks comments I give as good as I get.

Stan

8. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    It is a tragedy that the Lincoln Castle was lost.

However it seems to me that serious cash was needed to give her an assured future, much more than than just a few bob here and there and to raise something in the region of £1.5m just to secure her was asking too much of a very limited enthusiast community.

Bear in mind the annual appeal struggle to keep the Vulcan XH558 in the air with all the public exposure that gets and you can see it was just not going to happen to poor old Lincoln Castle, with a much lesser public profile.

9. Guest

Occasional
    But at least my posts are in cogent English

10. stan the man

stan the man Member

My skills are out there with spanners and tools in restoring things not sitting behind a keyboard.

Will you be on the Waverley whilst she is down on the Thames? perhaps if so you can give me some English lessons!

Stan

11. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Just out of interest do you post all this on Shipping forums?

12. stan the man

stan the man Member

No because in most other shipping forums the general consensus is the Lincoln Castle should have been saved and that its a disgrace that something that was quite easily capable of being restored has been destructed.

Stan

13. Martin Perry

They would seem to be a more logical place to discuss the matter and raise support rather than a railway forum (though I agree that there iis some commonality))

14. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Reading some of the material on the ship the concensus seems to be that the Hull was a basket case with many pin holes sealed with concrete and a vessel deliberately beached on slag to try to allow for repairs which when explored further were not practical

15. Guest

Occasional
    And that Martin is the honest truth.

I don't know how many times that I have to write on here that the hull needed doubling before the MCA would allow the vessel to be floated and that for the work to be done she would have to be pontooned - hence the £1.5m to start......

If you don't have £1.5m you can't - and we didn't

16. stan the man

stan the man Member

For those who stomach it there are now some pretty depressing pictures on the Lincoln castle website and it appears that the engines have not been spared the destruction (lets hope initial reports are wrong).

Theres also some rather interesting comments on the facebook links.

Stan

17. Guest

Occasional
    Martin P - By the way - this forum is called National Presevation and the section we are posting on is called Everything Else Heritage

This forum may be all but monopolised by those who devote all their time to steam machinery that runs on rails, but its very name and topics made available for discussion indicates the wider intentions of its founder and the wider outlook of some of the forum members.

In any case - to get really picky - what could be more relevant to this forum than a three cylinder LNER steam machine? If this was 4771 being cut up there would be bloody revolution and Colin Johnson would probably be swinging from the yard arm right now - a fate that in my view he richly deserves!

18. Martin Perry

I was not implying that it should not be discussed, I just thought that Stan might have found more support on a shipping forum rather than on here.

19. stan the man

stan the man Member

Very well said Frank.

Stan

20. Guest

Occasional
    Whaaaa Stan and I agree!

Must go and get some fresh air - a week on Blackpool front with the trams should do it