If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

P.S Lincoln Castle

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by mulligatawny, Aug 5, 2010.

1. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm guessing it's this one

Keith

2. stan the man

stan the man Member

Thats the one, thanks for posting the link.

JimS

3. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    So........if the PSPS don't intervene, and there are several suggestions/reasons in this thread why they won't/cant..it will all be their fault if scrapping takes place?

4. stan the man

stan the man Member

Basically yes!

5. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Basically ********!

Who is this contributor to come on here and repeatedly accuse the society of being wrong for not spending money it hasn't got, and thereby putting its existing collection of supported vessels at risk?

I too would love an ideal world - but we haven't got one!

The PSPS is absolutely right to stand back - BUT - it has NOT abandoned the Lincoln.

The independent LCPS (with PSPS tacit support) has the funding needed to meet the Council bond for them to accept a new owner instead of the Johnson Family - but the owners WILL NOT now sell. They are dead set on demolition. Show me the sense in that.

The ongoing demolition is at the hands of the owners - not the preservationists - GOT THAT???

6. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Anyone asked the owners why they are so keen to destroy it ?

7. Guest

Occasional
    Just about everyone in Grimsby and Hull - and they have been soundly rebuffed. The family may be fed up with the ship - but why destroy it???

8. Kingscross

Kingscross Member

Has anyone tried to get some kind of statutory preservation for the ship? Although vessels are not normally listed, I can think of some exceptions to that rule - including the Cutty Sark.

I assume that given it operated as a pub for some time it will have an 'address'. This being the case there is nothing to stop the council serving a building preservation notice on it. A BPN is effectively a temporary stop order which gives the building (or boat in this case) official protection while English Heritage assess it for listing.

Even if the listing fails, the BPN would buy the potential preservationists more time.

PM me if anyone wants further advice - I work for English Heritage.

9. stan the man

stan the man Member

Mr Gradwell.

The PSPS were offered the ship for nought, they turned it down, the ship is being being scrapped. PSPS could tried harder and worked with other parties to try and save the PS Lincoln Castle before hastily rejecting the offer.

Please do not be so rude in future.

GOT THAT????

Stan

10. Guest

Occasional
    Mr S - whoever you are.

I live in the real world, one where head rules head, and not heart.

It has been explained to you time and again why the PSPS came to their decision as to direct involvement - basically it required the immediate commitment of £1.5m, and that merely a down payment, which the society does not have; and which would have immediately put the stewardship of KC, Balmoral, Waverley and The Maid, at risk. What is your problem with that? a grudge about some other decision years ago that you also did not like. It is well known that I am no slavish follower of PSPS policy - but on this one - they got it right

You seem fundamentally unable to grasp that financial reality, an inability I find difficult to comprehend, as you are a skilled restorer - but if you cannot grasp reality, then there is nothing more to be said to you.

The facts have been set out before you - a local group was in place to take over the cause as soon as the PSPS made whatever decision, but the owners refuse to enter into a dialogue. Would they have continued to talk to us? There is unfortunately no listed building process for ships afloat, and the Johnsons have authorised the scrappers to go ahead.

That is the current context and it ain't going to change just because soemone is dummy spitting and rattle chucking.

11. stan the man

stan the man Member

Each to their own Mr G.

Your entitled to your opinions and I am entitled to my own, lets leave it that shall we whilst the unnecessary destruction of what could have been be one of the more viable ship restorations goes ahead and the whole saga of Lincoln Castle will be over.

Please note I do, have and will continue to support the Waverley.

Stan

12. taliesin1999

taliesin1999 New Member

The Lincoln Castle Facebook site has pictures of the structure of the ship being demolished - it would appear to be all over now. Interesting to read some of the comments on that site concerning the role played by the council - the £60,000 bond always appeared a bit fishy, suspect they were keen all along to have the ship scrapped.The only surprising thing really is that we are all still surprised when this sort of thing happens - we should get used to local authorities and developers destroying our heritage and replacing it with soulless shopping centres and industrial estates.

I imagine that the PSPS were aware of the political as well as financial obstacles and sensibly decided not to get involved, but yes it is a crying shame and if it is true that the owners are members of the PSPS then at the very least that membership should be revoked.

Ryde, Lincoln Castle, the lovely Manxman - it has not been a good year.

Peter Hayward

13. POTTER

POTTER New Member

retired.
    Sadly, this is the case in many areas of "preservation".
    My family was involved in a business for 150 years. 10 years ago, faced with the ownership of delapidated buildings, I reluctantly sold-out to a trust whose remit was to restore the listed buildings for future generations. This they have done...
    However, a new trust has been formed specifically to re-instate the artifacts and working traditions of our (pottery) craft. The present owners REFUSE to negotiate a selling price, so we are "dead in the water". I suspect that the buildings will end-up as offices...

As Frank says..." The ongoing demolition is at the hand of the OWNERS...not the preservationists..."

Looking forward to a couple of sailings on Waverley while she is down south.

Phil H.

14. joiner

joiner New Member

Retired Joiner
    The latest pics of the demolition

newlin.jpg newlin1.jpg

15. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    A Sad loss, a sorry story. But, not the only one, unfortunately. It has happened in various places to other objects/buildings as well!

Are there lessons to be learnt here?
    I think that there are....

16. stan the man

stan the man Member

A very sad and totally uneccesary end especially to what was a preserved ship and one which could have had a bright and active future.

Lincoln Castle was very badly let down.

Lets hope at least her machinary is saved.

Stan

17. Guest

Occasional

I would agree about the machinery - but its a bit pointless without the main context

18. stan the man

stan the man Member

Whether she was preserved or commercial venture this vessel could have had an active future and its a disgrace she has been destroyed.

I just cannot beleive that a perfectly salvagable British Paddle steamer is being broken up in 2010.

Someones ass needs kicking for this!

19. Guest

Occasional
    Stan - I give up!!!

No-one could find, or fund, that viable future which you describe - hence why the best that could have been sought was simply a mothballing operation - and it is that which was costed at £1.5m by the PSPS - not restoration. That was estimated at around £10m additional cost - and even with that spent there was no visible business plan, or berth, in prospect to sustain her.

The LCPS were prepared to take the gamble that if they paid the Grimsby Council bond that they could find a more economic means of mothballing pending some stabilisation of the ship - but then the owners turned toxic.

I'm sorry - but facts are facts. If preservationists cannot gain control of the ship you can't blame anyone other than the owners for her eventual fate.

Its a tragedy - oh yes - I agree on that. But there is nothing that any of us can do about it despite good legal and business brains giving it their best shot over this last five months and more.

Lincoln Castle and Manxman - both are the victims of businesses with no concept of social responsibility. Just look at the obnoxious protestations of Peel Development's planning manager over the last few days about how they have gone as far as they can with adopting amenity and heritage protection concepts in their plans for Wirral Waters - precis that to "knocked a few stories off a few skyscrapers" which had no doubt been set up as sacrificial offerings in the first place - a well known ploy!

20. stan the man

stan the man Member

1.5 million to moth ball?

Are you sure or is it just a play on numbers to make the refusal more acceptable?

I guess though to be fair the PSPS supported waverely is already running on a very thin knife edge (thinner than some folk may realise) so any ammount of expenditure could have been too much.
    Just a pity she could have not been purchased and layed up until such times that funding and full preservation was viable. I dont particularly care what you think but I beleive Lincoln Castle could and indeed should have had a viable future.

Still its all over now until the next time...

Stan