If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Owning a four wheeler

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by sir gomer, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Forest Rail

Forest Rail New Member

Hammer wielder!
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If you haven't got your heart dead-set on steam (though I realise this in the steam section...)there are any number of seemingly unloved and derelict industrial diesels lurking in sidings and headshunts at many railways about the country. Might be worth approaching them?

2392 likes this.
  2. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    They don't and I did say 'might'. They do have track so there is always the possibility that at some future date they will want to do something, whatever that something is, involving a loco and their present limits aren't really appropriate for anything much bigger.

3. Alan Kebby

Alan Kebby Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    At the risk of sounding like ‘City of Truro fan’, Hollycombe could potentially be added to that list.

Their standard gauge line has fallen out of use because ‘Commander B’ needs expensive boiler work. However if someone turned up with a working 0-4-0 ST, who would accept a minimal hire fee, then it might give the impetus needed to get the line running again.

4. Wagoniester

Wagoniester Member

Just spotted on TractionAds - Andrew Barclay for sale; I believe this is the one in the museum at Ribble?
    [​IMG]

5. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

Since tiny locos will always be of limited use, and therefore low priority, to the majority of heritage railways I’m so glad there are, nevertheless, individuals and small groups still willing to restore and maintain them. And hopefully have some fun. Thank you all.

jnc, ragl, Forest Rail and 3 others like this.