If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Oswestry Update

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by ilvaporista, Aug 13, 2010.

1. weltrol

weltrol Part of the furniture Friend

Blooming heck! I've been photographed!

mdewell and pmh_74 like this.
  2. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
  3. Wychcan

Wychcan New Member

Congratulations to everyone involved on your great achievement, look forward to a visit next time I get over to the UK.

4. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Great achievement. The quality of the pw really stood out. The new station really looks the part and what a difference from the view of Weston not so many months ago. I think that may be the first time I've seen a 3 carriage formation on the CHR.

Many congratulations to all at Oswestry.

brmp201 and ilvaporista like this.
  5. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Just when I thought I'd got a handle on happenings south of Oswestry comes this:

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news...ail-line-in-oswestry-gets-on-the-right-track/

Can anyone remind me ..... is the ironwork in store for Oswestry's platform roofing for just the main platform, or is there enough for t'other side too? Or is there a bay platform north of that impressive station building?

There's a definite sense of the pace picking up!

echap likes this.
  6. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    That image is based on Gobowen where the canopies are still in place, or at least pre COVID they were... The bay at Oswestry has been filled in and half of it is now the bus/coach pull in.
    The iron work and columns I have not seen for a while, the last time I asked the opinion was that replacing the canopy on the station building was an ultra long term project. On the down platform it is highly unlikely that a building on the scale of the previous one will be built. However there is a desire to put back the canopy in some form.
    Honestly we are talking of many years before that happens.
    The community rail scheme news is interesting and as ever I will watch what happens.

On other news B955055 Standard Brake Van has had further panelling replaced.
    IMG_20220519_200947453_2.jpg

echap, 87004, Johnme101 and 4 others like this.
  7. weltrol

Queen's Platinum Jubilee starts TODAY on our railway!
    Regular hourly services from Oswestry to Weston Wharf start at 11am. From as little as £5 - Pay on the day or book at: www.cambrianrailways.com

[​IMG]

8. weltrol

[​IMG]

TODAY we are running our Queen's Platinum Jubilee heritage steam and diesel services from 11am. Why not take a train ride with us from Oswestry to Weston Wharf. All day tickets from just £5 - book in advance or pay on the day. http://ow.ly/vGh950JopXx

30854, Johnme101, echap and 1 other person like this.
  9. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    The latest Steam Railway No 533 has a more in depth article about CHR and the future plans.

30854, echap and weltrol like this.
  10. NBDR Lock

NBDR Lock New Member

Visited on the Sunday morning whilst in the area a couple of weeks ago. The volunteers on duty were all very friendly and the place had a distinct air of hope about it, as I remember from SVR, GCR, etc., in the '70's. The ride was pleasant once out of the suburbs and the work that has been done at Weston is little short of magnificent, sadly we were too early for the brewery folk to be up and about. Back at Oswestry, the station building will look better when the covering of scaffolding is removed and I assume the next priority will be completion of a run round facility. I was intrigued by the ancient cast crossing on display under the running in board and spent some minutes trying to decipher the lettering on it. The most I could get was 'Ransomes', but the rest was illegible. Can anyone provide any more details please?

30854, Copper-capped and Bluenosejohn like this.
  11. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    295404294_515745623684241_8766087268127189037_n.jpg A nice picture lifted from the CHR Facebook page. Have you been for a trip? Don't forget the evening Brewery Specials. We have been able to organise a P. Up in a brewery!

30854, echap, Bluenosejohn and 3 others like this.
  12. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    Gosh, time goes by so quickly. It's now November.
    The season has gone well overall and the ride between stations is proving attractive to customers.
    For regular updates please sign up to the official CHR newsletter on the website.

https://cambrianrailways.com/chr/news-letters/

Next year will see the relaying of the third road through Oswestry station. Work has recently started on laying the ballast bed for the point and moving component parts into position.

The latest newsletter has pictures and further details.

13. weltrol

[​IMG]
    Santa Specials
    Well, it’s been a very busy year but it really has flown by! It feels like we only just had our grand opening weekend, and now we’re getting ready to welcome Santa to our grotto at Weston Wharf.

It’s a well known fact that Santa absolutely loves trains, so Weston Wharf station really is a great place for him to settle down to welcome children and parents alike, and with each child receiving a present and a cookie, and of course mulled wine and mince pies for the grown ups, it’s sure to raise everyone’s spirits!

Now, we all know Santa is pretty clever with his time management, but even he needs to slow down a little, especially when he’s talking to the excited children (he always does enjoy a good chat), so to keep things cheery, we will be helping him out by decorating the station and arranging entertainment for everybody who is waiting.

We’ll be adding more information about what we have planned as they develop, so keep checking back to this page to find out what we have in store!

We will be operating trains to visit Santa in the last weekend of November, and the first 3 weekends in December.

The listing below shows the available times. Due to the capacity of our trains and the available space at Weston Wharf, there is a limit of 70 participants on each departure. If a time is listed below in green, there are still spaces available for that train. Any times shown in red are fully booked.

Train Times
    Select a date from the calendar below to view the available tickets for each day, and to place an online booking.

Days shown in green have tickets available, and days shown in red are fully booked.

« Previous month November 2022 Next month »
    Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su

ticketing powered by pretix
    Prices
    Tickets are a fixed price for both adults and children.

Included in the price is return train travel, a present, cookie and soft drink for each child, or a more grown up drink and mince pies for the adults.

Entertainment will be arranged at Weston Wharf, and we will be providing a marquee just in case the weather decides to be difficult.

Weekend of November 26th/27th

£12 Per Person

Weekend of 3rd/4th, 10th/11th, and 17th/18th December

£15 Per Person

14. weltrol

Cambrian Heritage Railways are Regional (Wes Midlands) and National award winners at the Marsh Charitable Trust 2021 Awards. An extremely proud moment but a position CHR wouldn’t be in without the fantastic team at CHR. Thanks to everyone who has contributed over the years to make CHR a success. Here is to the future!

15. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Decent mention on C5 Days out with Susan Calman the other day.

echap likes this.
  16. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

17. echap

echap New Member

Church Volunteer
  18. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    Have a look at the Christmas advert for Oswestry. It gives the usual John Lewis, M&S etc a good run for their money..

Oh and Weston station looks pretty good as well..

19. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    What a great video! A fine advert for Oswestry and the CHR.

20. echap

echap New Member

Church Volunteer
    Wow. Really impressive.

ilvaporista likes this.