If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Oswestry Update

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by ilvaporista, Aug 13, 2010.

1. timmydunn

timmydunn Member

Trains and data
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    What's the plan at Llynclys - because at the moment, it looks like the privately owned station is a physical barrier to joining the two lines up. Will the lines be operated separately, or is it intended to restore/deviate and connect them back up as a through-running route?

2. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

The house used to be owned by ken ryder but I think it was sold. Last time I visited I asked the same question but was told the owner wanted £5, 000 per year to go through I think. Not sure if any of this has changed since.

3. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
  4. osrail

osrail New Member

Website updated today / the other day.

Got an exhibition coming in July and there is also a lot more work being done on the up platform with a water tower on the way...

Osrail - Railways around Oswestry - Pictures and News.

dont forget to like my facebook page -by CLICKING HERE if you click subscribe it will let you know when ever there are any updates.

5. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Any updates from the Tanat Valley at all ?

Is there a grand plan for Oswestry Station . It's great to see it finally starting to look like a station again

6. osrail

osrail New Member

It will ultimately be 2 x 12 coach platforms with a bend at one end and 3 roads in the centre! cant think of many if any preserved railways that have a 3 road through station? the aproach from the south to the platform is very steep and curved so it will provide some fantastic approaches by engines especially if we can put some weight behind them...

also due to the main line connection and the length of the platforms surley incoming charters from the mainline can not be ruled out. the only problem is we dont have any turning facilities yet but there is potential for triangles at several places on the line.

Not been down to the TVLR for a good few months but when ever i do some progress always seems to have been made, they are focusing on the north end of the line at the moment as they wont be able to afford a TWOA to cross over Cefn lane and under the A495 for a few years yet.

7. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Just had a browse of the Tanat Valley LR website and the latest news is from 3 years ago. I drive that way when heading to Portmadoc and think it's a terrific place for a railway line. Shame the railway's website doesn't give much of an impression about what is going on (if anything?).

8. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    I would be interested in visiting the Tanat Valley some time this year to view the DMU vehicles and would offer a donation etc if trains were not running for the privilege if volunteers were on site.

With the website being three years out of date have they ceased operations while work continues on site? (Rutland Railway Museum style?) Or are there any form of public open days planned that I could visit on?

I have no idea of the situation so any clarification from anyone more involved would be welcome.

9. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    I think that most if not all of the DMU stock is al Llynclys where some units are in operation.
    The link below gives operating days. However note that the operating stock now also consists of a loco hauled train as well so it's best to check before visiting what will be in operation.

Cambrian Heritage Railways - Llynclys Services

The Tanat Valley is not normally in operation as it is an ongoing project, financed and run privately but still an important part of the overall scheme. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon to give more details information.
    Adrian

10. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    I believe there is more DMU stock at Tanat (5 Class 107 vehicles) than Llynclys (4 Class 101 vehicles) but I have both sites on my list to try and visit. Thanks for the clarification on Tanat, perhaps I should try and arrange for a private visit if they're not open officially?

11. osrail

osrail New Member

very true. it is worth noting that the majority of trains running from Llynclys this year will be Diesel hauled consisting of Diesel Shunter 11517, TSO Coach E4965 and Shark Brake Van DB993854. as the regularly used DMU sets will be getting some much needed cosmetic attention after quite a few years of being exposed to the elements down at Llynclys.

12. HY_4273

HY_4273 New Member

Editor
    I've just posted details about two forthcoming special events in the 'Events' section.

1: Football Programme Day on Sunday, June 9: http://www.national-preservation.co...westry-june-9-2013-oswestry-shropshire.50296/. In short, it's a celebration of the link between railways and football - something different :)

2: Cambrian RailEx - Oswestry Model Railway Show on Sunday, July 21: http://www.national-preservation.co...-show-july-21-2013-oswestry-shropshire.50302/ . Something else a little different - the first railway show in Oswestry since the 1970s.

Hope it's of interest :)

Gareth Evans,
    Press Officer,
    Cambrian Heritage Railways http://www.cambrianrailways.com

13. osrail

osrail New Member

I have updated my page today folks! photos on the continuing restoration of the station area at Oswestry and a small article on a fun day held the other week.

www.osrail.co.uk

dont forget to like my facebook page!!!

https://www.facebook.com/osrail

Dan

14. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    Looking even better, thanks for taking the pictures

15. ilvaporista

C.Eng
  16. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    More tracklaying to close one of the gaps
    http://www.cambrianrailways.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=93&start=60

The platform is now at its full length to take 11 coaches.... Perhaps a bit of an overkill at this moment but it's impressive.
    2013 has been a year of solid progress building up funds and quietly getting things done.
    2014 looks to be even better, so keep watching, or even better come and join in the fun.

TommyD likes this.
  17. ilvaporista

C.Eng
  18. ilvaporista

C.Eng
  19. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

The track was there a few years ago - presumably it was lifted to allow the crossing to be put in. Was there no obligation on the part of the developers to put the track back?

20. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    There has been a new crossing put in to access the new medical centre (part of the old railway works) which is already laid ready with new double track. That was done as part of the development. The linking piece in question was taken up and is being put back with newer materials. After that, on the other side of the crossing there is some track to lay to link up to the rest of the Northern part. The major push is to get the legal side sorted out as without that there can be no operations crossing a public right of way. Oswestry, like most other railway sites, has roads at either end of the station. Once that is done all manner of things can happen and be unlocked, bridges, crossings, connections etc.