If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Original Manchester Metrolink Trams starting to be withdrawn

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by DJH, Apr 21, 2012.

1. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

They need to get a few of these.....Zenfolio | Simon Whittingham Photography | Trams of Lisbon

2. houghtonga

houghtonga Member

Chartered Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Many of the classic Vienna trams from the 1960s were sold on when they were withdrawn in 2009 ish and I found a number of them are now running in Sarajevo in 2011 and still in their viennese livery - I suspect there may be a second hand market somewhere for the withdrawn vehicles.

3. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Probably limited for custom made mancunian ones.
    When will we learn in the UK that COTS products are much cheaper to buy and maintain longer term and have a higher resale value than homemade/handmade custom stuff because we can't be bothered to standardise.

4. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    To awaken an old thread all the T68s are now either stored or in the case of 1011 already met the scrap torch. 2 of the later batch I understand are around but only for a short time.

In terms of preservation none have yet been preserved. One option if it's not possible to preserve a whole tramcar would be preserve a cab end.

If it were possible at MoSI 1015s cab end in a TV gallery (as it featured in the 50th film scene) or the opposite end to Hector could work.

5. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Surprised Bury Transport Museum isn't interested in at least part of one.. It is the most prominent of Bury's transport, and the first new tram project in the UK since the war..
    Then again it hasn't done much for its class504 predecessor either, so let's not get too many hopes up.

6. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    Harsh comments do not help anyone. Some work has been done on the 504 set from what I understand. The difficulty is finding alternative practical uses for former electric sets and coaches often fall down the queue for funds.

To follow up I have since looked and bought a book on the Manchester LRVs that have now all but been withdrawn.

http://www.britishtramsonline.co.uk/news/?p=6740

A very interesting book (in my opinion) and proceeds support a very good cause. I'm not linked in any way with its production but it is a very good read. I obtained my copy from Ian Allan near Manchester Piccadilly Station but I imagine it may be available elsewhere. In terms of preservation according to this book there are plans that the prototype bodyshell is to be fitted out with withdrawn parts from the T68 fleet at the Manchester Transport Museum.

A number of T68s are currently awaiting removal for scrap at the depots so there is still (if limited) time for a section of tram or an entire one to be preserved. Two T68As are still in service on the Bury line although this is only until works at Victoria are finished.

Duncan

7. charterplan

charterplan Member

A friend who is at Metrolink, told me that he has seen one of the new yellow ones on the pit and its corroding very badly, and wont last half as long as the old ones, but yet the trains lasted 40 years plus, but not only the trams, but the track will need to be replaced too,so that will mean more disruption one day. Still think that its a white elephant,and waste of money.

8. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Back in 1991 The new trams were supposed to last 40 years too..

9. charterplan

charterplan Member

They won't last that long by what he told me, as he looked underneath while on the pits, and the corrosion was very bad.

10. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    To be fair though it was expected that they would be refurbished in a similar manner to what has happened on the Underground in London. (Why A stock and C stock lasted so long) That was cancelled on cost grounds. A major issue with the old trams was the all steel construction with eager salting of roads in manchester which the trams crossed.

I'm curious about the M5000 reports given the car bodies are aluminium!

Duncan

11. charterplan

charterplan Member

The chassis is Steel, tho, and that is what is corroding badly, buses was the same ,apart from older stock, hence their 13 year lifespan, but most was overhauled every 4 years, but with the trams in Manchester they don't seem as good.

12. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    A farewell event is being planned for the next May Bank holiday.

Since the last update 1001 has already gone along with a few others.

Preservation wise the prototype 1000 bodyshell was preserved some years ago and MoSI have somewhere half of the mock up tram used in a certain soaps 50th.

A few places have also claimed seats to use within their museums.

There are rumours one tram may get preserved but I would be interested to hear if there is any substance to said rumour.

Duncan

13. charterplan

charterplan Member

The Museum of transport have a Metrolink tram in their lower hall, Its just one end, which was used as a model at the arches near piccadilly station, its without the electronics in the cab, but is complete with the doors working. and was the T68 prototype numbered 1000.

14. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    Charterplan thanks for the clarification on 1000

15. DJH

DJH Member

Graduate Engineer
    To bring this up to date the farewell event gets underway today. 2 trams are also set to be preserved.

Duncan