If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NYMR 40th Anniversary Spring Steam Gala 3rd - 12th May 2013

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by rickd, Feb 14, 2013.

1. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It is perfectly possible - the crossing is likely to be manned, but guards also have general instructions to ensure people can safely change trains. From the Pickering bound platform, you go round the back of the Signal Box, not straight on to the crossing.

Steven

2. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    By all accounts the Gala got off to a good start today. Plenty of LNER action with 60007, 61264 (as 61002 Impala), 62005 and 69023 all in action, as were 45407 and 825. 61306 turned up late afternoon to add to the interest.

3. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    61306 now facing ? Goathland?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. wazza588

wazza588 Member

Seen this footage taken at Battersby:
    so facing smoke box first out of Grosmont unless turned upon arrival....
    Looking forward to a good day tomorrow!

R

5. Bean-counter

6. Bean-counter

I wasn't sure how easy uploads were now - much easier seems to be the answer!

A couple from the anniversary train last Wednesday - K1 waiting to leave Whitby and the surviving founder members (from the left) Michael Pitts (Still a Director), Charlie Hart and "father of the NYMR" Tom Salmon (it was Tom who called the first meeting), all seated after being presented with commutative plaques at Ruswarp Station, where Charlie worked and in the village where that first meeting was held at Tom's house.

Trust Chairman Murray Brown (R) and General Manager Philip Benham (L) complete the carnation wearers!

Steven

7. cksteam

cksteam New Member

8. pete12000

pete12000 Member

An excellent day, a good turn out of people too, had a good run with 61264 to Battersby, was good to see 60007 back working trains too!

61306 Mayflower was booked for one trip only, does anyone know if she's likely to be out Monday? Hoping to make a second visit to the gala

9. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

Overcast for most of the day unfortunately but at least it didn't rain as forecast.

Can't say I enjoyed the experience though, trains late, timetable up the chute star attraction not used until late afternoon!

A few shots on the website HERE

10. Respite

Respite Member

Retired
    Yes I know what you mean, typical gala day really! You could add in the unfortunate need to bank all trains from Levisham due to the fire risk on the Moors, though hardly the railways fault. A diesel on the freight instead of say Lambton No.29 was a sad and curious decision, as was parking the freight at Levisham blocking the shot many were trying to obtain without trespassing. Why couldn't it have been pushed back further out of the way?
    Still the two B1s and K1 are rather good.

11. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

I notice neither 29 or 62005 are rostered next Sat, seems an odd decision for an anniversary gala?

12. worldsteam

worldsteam Member

What about those who booked accommodation believing the gala ran through the week. I didn't expect freights, but I assumed a variety of power, mainly 61306. Wrong - it is difficult to spot much difference to the normal day to day running of NYMR, including D5061. Fortunately I get there Monday in time for the B1, but other days are distinctly average. At least the NYMR is very impressive even when 'average'!

David

13. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    A link to footage of the Freight with K1 and Black haulage.

14. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

62005 is rostered on the Jacobite from Monday the 13th May.

15. wazza588

wazza588 Member

I'll echo that but good effort all the same!
    With the weather forecast completely wrong, the day largely rubbish with only one train in full sun. a few of my efforts can be viewed here: http://richardsteampics.weebly.com/recent-images.html

R

16. Sorge station

Sorge station New Member

A few answers to the above points.
    61306 could only be used for one round trip on saturday due to the need to examine the loco in the morning and over lunchtime so it could be declared fit to use on NYMR metals. No point rostering it in the morning to find it wasn't able to be accepted into traffic.
    25 was used on freights due to a diesel driver being available and no spare steam drivers available at all, mores the pity.
    62005 can't be rostered for next weekend due to it not actually being at the railway, that and 44871 will be departing for Fort William on thursday.
    29 will hopefully be out in traffic next weekend however.
    61306 can only be used on certain days (when the owner can be there). That restricts its use to the 2 saturdays, 2 sundays and bank holiday monday, so no midweek running with it i'm afraid.

Hope that clears a few things up.

17. worldsteam

worldsteam Member

Actually that makes it worse. Look at website, it advertises:

40th Anniversary Festival & Spring Steam Gala

3rd – 12th May
    Then lists the visiting locos. Telling us now, that oh well some of the advertised gala locos cannot work for whatever reason quite honestly is taking the piss. Had I known what you now advise I would have planned my days differently. OK I work around this for this visit, but will be cautious in future.

David

18. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

The loco roster that was being sold on the web site had 61306 down for two round trips on Saturday not one.

19. Steve

Where does it say that every loco will be used every day? It doesn't take much brain power to realise that there are more locos listed than can be used on any one day. Loco rosters were available to purchase beforehand which gave details of what would be out and about ( but, as ever, these are always subject to changing circumstances.) It seems to me that you just didn't want to spend a £1 to buy a loco roster for the day, in which case, with respect, I'd say that it is you who is taking the piss.

20. Steve

It seems that the NYMR can't do right for doing wrong. They were criticised by many for not making loco rosters available beforehand and when they do, they get slated. The fact that 61306 was later than planned in arriving at the NYMR meant a change of plan and simply serves to illustrate why producing loco rosters days or even weeks beforehand is not as simple as some people think. In the week beforehand, 825, 45428, 60007 and 29 were all doubtful starters. Just be thankful that, in the end, they came to the party. Dry weather and crew shortages don't make it easy, either.