If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NVR Wagon Group Updates

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by B17 61606, May 21, 2015.

1. big.stu

big.stu Member

Software Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I thought we were saving 92 for something special - when we reach the magic ten...

2. big.stu

big.stu Member

Software Engineer
    A double helping of Wagon Updates, firstly the opens and civils brake van, then something a little more unusual....

<https://www.facebook.com/nvrwagongroup/posts/1047836585406315>

"Last week saw Phil and Colin all but complete the external painting of both the Southern Open and the Shock Open. All that is needed to complete these is the new floors and lettering, before a fitness to run exam to get them back into traffic. Tim was also about and did a bit more work on the railways Brake Van B954024 to keep things moving along."
    open-chassis.jpg open-interior.jpg open-nofloor.jpg brakevan.jpg

And now for something a little bit different...

<https://www.facebook.com/nvrwagongroup/posts/1047840348739272>

"Tim was busy yesterday away from the railway in recovering a grounded body that has been gifted to Nene Valley Railway. It was a bit of a challenge to get out, but hats off to the skill of the driver from B.C. Wiles and Sons in the lifting. Once moved the original number was discovered on a previously non-accessible panel, showing a Western origin number W65567. This body will be restored and used for storage."
    vanfit-w65567.jpg vanfit-crane.jpg vanfit-lorry.jpg vanfit-unloaded.jpg

Apparently not many people knew it was there - it's not (yet) in the RHR wagon database...but it is already on the Wagon Group website...

...which is a cunning way to announce that after a rather prolonged hiatus, updating the website has now been taken on by myself and I have started by refurbishing the wagon pages to provide location and status information on all of the wagons (can't guarantee 100% accurate yet, but working on it), and also intend to provide an up-to-date photo of each wagon as well (these will be added as they become available). While FB will remain the primary location for progress reports as and when they happen, we will provide progress summaries on a less frequent basis on the website (starting with a major item to cover the last couple of years or so!). Further work will hopefully document our various freight experiences and charters (past and future) and possibly even some of the items we have to sell from the Wagon Group (mugs, D-plates, shed plates).

[Edited to add link to website: https://nvrwagons.wordpress.com/ - apparently mobile app users don't always see the signature where it lives]

Tomorrow we're off to collect some kit from ELR - more on that later...

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  3. big.stu

big.stu Member

Software Engineer
    Unfortunately, Pannier 6430 has been recalled to Llangollen, so there will be a change of locomotive for the Wagon Group's Freight Driving Experience on 5th July. It will either be Austerity 3193 or 92 Squadron - I'll confirm which as soon as I know!

I think the booking link has changed too, so it is now here (places still available for both morning or afternoon): https://nvr.org.uk/product.php/93/g...7_-7LzF4Q0-0VQYj0UYVU9XTmxU4XUQ9wX5cKzOpOc9hc

4. big.stu

big.stu Member

Software Engineer
    Sunday saw several Wagon Group volunteers on a trip to ELR to collect some useful equipment which we have purchased from them - some wagon jacks and vacuum cylinders. Stu & Josh drove up in the borrowed van while Tim, Phil & Colin travelled up by car. Amazingly, we arrived first in the van, so admired City of Wells sat in Bury Bolton Street waiting to take out the dining train while we waited for the others.
    IMG_2051.JPG
    We then relocated to Bury Baron Street to meet Nigel and load our purchases on to the van. Nigel then gave us a tour of the stock sidings and workshops at Baron Street - a very impressive setup, and a lot of rolling stock impressively kept out of the view of the paying customers, thus avoiding the classic linear scrapyard issue.
    IMG_2061.JPG IMG_2095.JPG IMG_2097.JPG IMG_2098.JPG
    After a very pleasant lunch under the canopy on the platform cafe tables and some purchases at the second-hand model railway stall we headed back to Wansford to unload our goodies.
    IMG_2102.JPG IMG_2099.JPG
    And finally back home - 12 hours door-to-door and 7+ hours driving!

We are extremely grateful to Simon at Teversham Motors for the loan (FoC) of the garage van enabling us to keep the transport costs down to just the fuel :) If you live in the Cambridge area, perhaps you might consider using them for your servicing/MOT needs...

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Johnme101 and Bluenosejohn like this.
  5. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    A photo charter is the plan but slow progress on that front since the Tornado incident.

6. big.stu

big.stu Member

Software Engineer
    Yeah, I know... :(

7. big.stu

big.stu Member

Software Engineer
    Sunnieboy likes this.