If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NVR Wagon Group Updates

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by B17 61606, May 21, 2015.

1. big.stu

big.stu Well-Known Member

Software Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Another couple of days effort on the joint wagon group / miniature railway shop/ticket office - another day will probably see the externals complete and a start on the internals...

The rear 'doors' are not intended to open so just panelled over and will be made to look plausible on the outside.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

2. big.stu

Software Engineer
    A great evening spent at the railway for a freight photo charter with 45596 'Bahamas' around Wansford station. As I was working rather than participating, just a few snaps from the phone camera, but I'm sure more will appear over the next day or so from those who were much better equipped...

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Johnme101 likes this.
  3. big.stu

Software Engineer
    The shop/ticket office van body is done. The combined efforts of the Wagon Group (under our leader Handy Hobman) and the Wansford Miniature Railway guys have turned this:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
    into this:
    11.jpg 18.jpg 17.jpg 16.jpg
    Job done :)

smasher, mdewell, ghost and 4 others like this.
  4. big.stu

Software Engineer
    Today the hoppers at Peterborough NVR received some more TLC from members of the wagon group. Phil, Cliff, Jason & Paul got stuck in with the chassis black and bauxite brown while Josh & Stu prepped some more panels before joining in with the painting and Tim put his signwriting skills to use on a couple of the hoppers.

8.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

5. big.stu

Software Engineer
  6. big.stu

Software Engineer
    This is actually our second weekend session of 2022, I'm way behind on updates, but here's the latest and I'll try and fill in the rest over the weekend..

https://www.facebook.com/nvrwagongroup/posts/1757037644486202

"Saturday saw a good number of the Wagon Group turnout to work on the box vans on the civils siding out beyond Wansford signal box. More specifically, we were reverting the modifications made to the vans by the film company which had hired them for a filming job. When they initially returned, we had been asked to keep them in the modified state for further potential filming, so we used some polythene sheeting to make the gaping holes in the side weather proof. Now we now they are no longer required for further work, we could set about putting them back to how they should be.
    Unfortunately, the film crew had taken a lot of shortcuts, so the first job was to remove any remaining bolts, screws or pieces of planking they had just left in place and cut around. Stu set about attacking all the metal work with the battery angle grinder (very useful when stuck out in a siding a long way from mains power) while Jason removed the polythene sheets and Steve organised cutting down the pre-painted planks to be just a few inches oversize (which hindsight showed to be a good decision!). Phil attacked the ground down bolts with hammer and chisel, while Josh tried his hand at various jobs, prefering to supervise the stove in the brake van! Tim, Jason & Gareth removed the various partial bits of planking left behind and sorted a few other issues left for us by the film crew.
    Once the planking slots were clear, the replacement outer planking was slid in to place being fed in at the doors until they reached the corner of the wagon. This involved a lot of persuading with wooden blocks and big hammers. Once in place they were then drilled and bolted to the metalwork. Once the outer planking was secured, the inner planking could be reinstated. Finally the angle grinder reappeared to remove excess length of fixing bolts. B771300 was completed, and B761751 had the outer planking put in place, and a further working party will finish fixing them in place later in the week.
    With great forethought, Tim lit the stove in his brake van when we arrived onsite, and by lunchtime it was far too hot to sit in the brakevan to eat lunch without the doors open. Amazing how much heat those little stoves kick out!"

(I've knocked out a couple of photos from the update to keep within the 10 photos per post limit here on NP.)

1. B771300 with missing planks and plastic sheeting to keep the weather out (B761651 was in the same state).
    2. Big hammers, chisels & punches.
    3. Tim screwing things up.
    4. Josh & Jason having fun.
    5. Lunch break in the rather too warm & cosy brake van.
    6. Some planks slid in easier than others...
    7. Tim screwing things up (again!).
    8. Wagon work by torch light.
    9. B761651 with new outer planking in place.
    10. B771300 completed with outer and inner planking all back in place.
    IMG_7719.jpg IMG_7737.jpg IMG_7739.jpg IMG_7756.jpg IMG_7762.jpg IMG_7766.jpg IMG_7774.jpg IMG_7781.jpg IMG_7778.jpg IMG_7785.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  7. big.stu

Software Engineer
    Diesel freight driving experience with Class 14 traction on sale now: https://nvr.org.uk/product.php/297/freight-driver-experience-2022

Usual deal - half day sessions (8 participants per session), morning or afternoon with light refreshment and briefing beforehand and then two round trips of the line. Each participant gets a footplate turn on each round trip. When not on the footplate, travel in the brakevans and experience the fun of an unfitted freight! £150 per person.

2022-04-22 NVR WG FDE.jpg

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
  8. big.stu

Software Engineer
    Right, time to catch up on a whole load of stuff, so let's start with the biggie - as of the start of 2022, the Wagon Group is now based at the Peterborough NVR end of the line, hosted within the RailWorld compound.

There are a whole host of reasons which have led to this, not least the problems of having to work within the general engineering area/sheds in Wansford yard without a dedicated space. Whilst that's not a huge issue in itself (and was usually under cover!), it was problematic if we had a wagon jacked up and off it's wheelsets for any length of time (and being a small team we can't always complete major jobs in a single session or even weekend), and our stores/tool van was not particularly close to where we were generally working. After some internal discussions within the group, the boards of NVR and RailWorld were approached with a view to relocating the Wagon Group to the siding(s) in RailWorld. Having reached agreement all round, we have set about tidying up the sidings area and renovating the grounded van body which was in fact the home of the original Wagon Group 1.0 (we even found a whole stack of wagon related goodies still lurking in the depths of the van!).

The ultimate aim is to build a goods/freight area centred around PNVR/RW, possibly even including a restoration workshop in the form of a goods shed - but that is very much a long term aspiration at the moment.

It is hoped that this is a triple-win for everybody involved:

The Wagon Group have a permanent dedicated base with their own siding area to work in and a stores/workshop/mess van immediately adjacent to the work area.

RailWorld will benefit from a tidied sidings area, ongoing activity within the site, and educational content produced around the wagons we maintain (and over time that will include work on other wagons within RW).

NVR gains an additional visitor attraction at the PNVR end of the line - an attraction which we intend to grow over time.

More detail in the article reproduced below :)

P.S. At time of writing there are only four morning slots left on the Class 14 Freight Driving Experience day on 22nd April: https://nvr.org.uk/product.php/297/freight-driver-experience-2022/45b2c0f1ed5a811d91e33ea8cbdad03f

1.jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  9. big.stu

Software Engineer
    As part of the new start at RailWorld, we have instigated regular fortnightly working sessions, which will usually alternate between Saturdays & Sundays to keep the peace within various members' households ;)

Jumping back out of order, the first session took place on 2nd January and involved a comprehensive clearance of the RailWorld sidings and around the grounded box van we will be using as our base.

https://www.facebook.com/nvrwagongroup/posts/1748087592047874

"NEW YEAR, NEW START
    What an awesome day it was today at Railworld as we began to make ourselves at home.
    Almost all of the wagon group were in attendance for some vegetation clearance and beginning to tidy the grounded van body, which was the home of the previous wagon group.
    The sidings have been taken over by years of buddleia and the wagons there have been unloved for a while. Today all that changed and by the close of play a massive difference could be seen with all areas now accessible from beneath the buddleia forest.
    Exciting times ahead!!!"
    1.jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg 6.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg

Bluenosejohn, smasher and Johnme101 like this.
  10. mdewell

mdewell Well-Known Member Friend

UK & Ireland Heritage Railways Webmaster
    Hi Stu, Will anyone be updating the https://nvrwagons.wordpress.com/news-blog/ website with this news?
    Or is that website now defunct (Last News update appears to be 2 years ago).

11. big.stu

Software Engineer
    Next on my list :) But I'll get this thread up to date first...

Bluenosejohn and mdewell like this.
  12. big.stu

Software Engineer
    Before we pushed on with sorting the new base at RailWorld, we needed to finish the rectification work on the wagons, which had been modified for filming work, ready for our first use of the rake for a freight driving experience in April.

https://www.facebook.com/nvrwagongroup/posts/1767332430123390

"Another great day yesterday putting the vans back together after their filming job at Didcot last year.
    There were no trains running, so the group were free to get into the sidings and the first job was to paint the new bolts from last session on completed vans B771300 and B761651. Tim found a little mouse and moved it to the safety of undergrowth away from Kestrels!
    Next, everyone headed up towards the tunnel to repair B768248. Old bolts were chopped out, new planks slid in, then new fixings were attached. Finally the internal boards were refitted and everything painted.
    The vans are now back in one piece ready for this seasons running commitments. All that remains is to re-fit the D-Plates which were removed for filming and to white the brake handles (which the film company painted black). These little jobs will be attended to asap."

Photos of the rake being finished off in the civils siding:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

13. big.stu

Software Engineer
    Photos following on from previous post with work on B768248 in the Oundle siding:

4.jpg 5.jpg 7.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 18.jpg

14. big.stu

Software Engineer
    I'll condense the posts covering all of the stores/workshop/mess van work over February and March in to a single update here:

https://www.facebook.com/nvrwagongroup/posts/1775771059279527
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=355706036180628
    https://www.facebook.com/nvrwagongroup/posts/1786299644893335
    https://www.facebook.com/nvrwagongroup/posts/1795120217344611

And here are a selection of photos showing stages of renovation on the van, which included new doors, panel repair work, new door threshold to improve security, a rub down and repaint.

The interior has also undergone significant refurbishment and reorganisation, although that is still a work in progress.

4.jpg 4.jpg 1.jpg 8.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 2.jpg 10.jpg 1.jpg

15. big.stu

Software Engineer
    And finally, following a midweek shunt to turn the hoppers (bringing the unpainted sides to the platform side) and bring the Banana Van (Wagon Group museum) and one of Tim's conflats (for restoration) down to PNVR, we spent Mother's Day prepping and painting hoppers.

https://www.facebook.com/nvrwagongroup/posts/1805523402970959

"The sun was shining so we were at Peterborough working on the hoppers.
    With the hoppers having been turned last week there is just one side on each hopper to restore and the insides to paint before they can go back into the running rake. The first job was to clean off the flaking paint and prepare the surfaces for painting. Two of the hoppers were fully cleaned back and as much painting done before we had to call it a day."

I couldn't help having a bit of fun while taking the lettering off one of the hoppers ;)

1.jpg 4.jpg 2.jpg 7.jpg 5.jpg 9.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg 14.jpg

16. big.stu

Software Engineer
    Pah - get everything up to date, then while I'm busy celebrating turning another year older, Tim, Phil & Trish move things along!

https://www.facebook.com/nvrwagongroup/posts/1806950769494889

"Whilst on a bit of a roll from Sunday, Tim, Phil, and his wife Trish, did a bit more work on the hoppers today.
    One more hopper was prepared for painting by Tim, whilst Phil and Trish carried on with outstanding painting from Sundays session.
    By close of play three out of four hoppers had their bodies and underframes painted. There are just small bits of detail to paint (like lettering, handrails, and bearing covers), to complete these hoppers, once the fourth one is painted to the same level.
    All four will then have the insides painted and replica wagon plates added before fit for traffic."

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Johnme101 and Bluenosejohn like this.
  17. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

Excellent progress and having the new base at Rail World will be very useful in the future. The Shop/Ticket office van body certainly looks very smart inside and out!

big.stu likes this.
  18. big.stu

Software Engineer
    Sadly the diesel crisis in the South/South East made life difficult for us to get to last weekends work session, but the guys put in a good effort without us!

https://www.facebook.com/nvrwagongroup/posts/1814491282074171

"Another good days work on the hoppers at PNVR.
    At the start of the day there was just one hopper to tackle until all four were painted, so Tim set to work rubbing down the body, whilst Phil, Jason, Cliff and Gareth tackled cleaning up the chassis.
    Tim then moved on to a bit of lettering and finishing touches, whilst the rest of the team got on with painting the body and chassis of the last hopper.
    By close of play all four were looking great, with just a bit of lettering and detailing to finish the external repaint job."

If you are still thinking about having a go on the Freight Driving Experience day on 22nd April, get in quick - just two places remaining in the morning session...

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

19. big.stu

Software Engineer
    It's been a busy week for the Wagon Group with an evening prepping the rake, a sold out freight driving experience day, and then a regular working session all in the space of five days! I'll have to split the reports across messages in order to squeeze all the photos in...

https://www.facebook.com/nvrwagongroup/posts/1822643447925621

"We’re all ready for tomorrow….
    Last night the wagon group were burning the midnight oil to get the rake oiled and inspected ready for the first driving course of the year.
    Every axle box was opened for a pad exam, with springs, brake gear, draw gear, and bodywork also checked. A bit of white paint was touched up too.
    Tim popped back today to write the inspection dates on the axle boxes and added the finishing touch of some wagon labels.
    The rake was then brought into the platform ready for the morning."

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 11.jpg

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  20. big.stu

Software Engineer
    Finishing touches the following day and the rake being brought in to Wansford ready for Friday...

9.jpg 10.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg

Bluenosejohn likes this.