If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

NRM Serviceable Locomotives

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by lil Bear, Jan 16, 2019.

1. toplight

toplight Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I am sure it is the case with the NRM that is has basically decided not to bother running any of its stuff in future apart from perhaps Flying Scotsman or other locos that are effectively externally managed and done. It is open that they want to get rid of the workshop facilities and just have a servicing place so locos visiting York and belonging to other organisations can be serviced there ready for the return trip. It gets some visiting steam but at no cost or risk to them.

There has been no investment in personal to restore stuff to working condition and if the case with the Deltic is correct then maybe they are trying to put off volunteers doing so too.

One thing though that is pleasing about the NRM is their drawing service to get old drawings seems to be getting better and better and I have ordered drawings myself on several occasions.

2. guycarr360

guycarr360 Part of the furniture

In the case of the Deltic, they have a leaking liner, that will eventually leak past the piston, towards rod bearings, crankshaft etc...

Much better to have the expertise to safely remediate the issue, than have demic on their hands.....

3. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Nat Pres stalwart

Layabout
    No I do not currently volunteer

4. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

At one time the NRM had someone with the job title CME. Does it still?

5. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Agecroft No2(?) was operational at MoSI, but has reportedly moved to York.

6. ChuffChuff

ChuffChuff Member

CEO
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Just to present an alternative view..... The NRM is a museum, not a running line or a source of locomotives for (in reality commercial) heritage lines. It takes government money (as well as e.g. lottery money) and has an obligation to show return value. If the preservation scene is doing well with showing the public running locomotives, it's hard to argue a return for the NRM effectively doing the same. However, the Drawing Service is something that nobody else can do, so it's valuable for the NRM to focus on that and do it well. I think this is why most running NRM locomotives are done with loans to outside groups. If those groups can prove they have fund raising capabilities, it's not viable for the NRM to spend money on the same thing.

7. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    The NRM have been part of a lot of agreements in the past that involve other organisations putting up the cash to do x y and z to their locos or rolling stock.

They get a lot of bad press from enthusiasts who aren't always aware of the details of such deals.

As others have said, they are a museum, not a rolling stock provider, so it's my opinion that we should just be thankful of what has been loaned out and steamed in the past for our enjoyment. Anything we see running is a bonus surely?

Sent from my HTC U Play using Tapatalk

weltrol, mdewell, oddsocks and 6 others like this.