If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Northern Belle 2024

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by sgthompson, Mar 30, 2024.

1. Keith Sergeant

Keith Sergeant New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    57313 and 315 passing Brock with today's Northern Belle.

_MG_4372-Edit-2.jpg

nige757, Mick45305, RalphW and 2 others like this.
  2. frazoulaswak

frazoulaswak Member

Retired (at last!)
    West Coast Railways Class 57 No 57313 leads Northern Belle's Settle & Carlisle Steam Special through Helsby Station on Saturday 20th April 2024. The train, diesel hauled from Telford to Carnforth will be steam hauled from there to Carlisle via Shap, returning via the S&C to Preston where diesel haulage takes over for the journey back to Telford.

EOS 5D Mark IV_240420_6400.jpg

Cheers,

nige757, Mick45305, 46223 and 2 others like this.
  3. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    34067 at Singleton Park in Kendal .

ragl, nige757, ribble and 4 others like this.
  4. 46203

46203 Member

_DSC3773-Edit.jpg

Home turf @ Scotby with the return NB, 20.04.24.

5. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    It's been a funny old day, today we had Sunday lunch even though it's Saturday - no I'm not going bonkers, well no more so than usual. The problem has been caused by Sky TV, they moved the kick off time of Mrs W's team's next home match from 3pm today to 12.30pm tomorrow - which means Mrs W and Oswald Jnr wouldn't be at home on Sunday lunchtime and so we had Sunday lunch today. (Loin of pork roasted on a bed of butternut squash - delicious and extremely filling). Anyway delicious though it was it did limit Oswald's options for locations to see the NB, a pity as it was such a nice day.

Someone must be able to think of a good location, what is it, "cometh the hour and cometh the man"? Unfortunately, there was only Oswald left so he headed off to Wilpshire, to the bridge beyond the summit. In the spring sunshine at around 6pm there should still be some sun in the bottom of the deep cutting. The problem with the Northern Belle schedule is that with a diesel on the back it is quite possible to gain time over Aisgill, cut short the generous Hellifield water stop and run before the 17.21 Rochdale Flier from Clitheroe (instead of in the booked path that follows it). So as not to "miss it" it is best to be at Wilpshire 50-60 minutes before the train is scheduled to appear and then check on RTT to see if it has already left Hellifield - it hadn't! After 20 minutes or so waiting in the car Oswald got bored and as it was a pleasant, sunny evening I gathered up my bits and pieces and readied myself on the bridge.

An enthusiastic resident from one of the nearby houses joined me, we chatted. He said that a couple of weeks ago all the residents got letters from NR stating that they intended to carry out some tree trimming. We looked at the trackside vegetation and one or two very small branches (no more than thick twigs) appeared to have been cut from some of the shrubs nearest to the track. A goat could have done more in less than an hour! Maybe they will return and then again . . . The service trains had come and gone and Tangmere had left Clitheroe and was on her way.

No sneaking up today, hiss, hiss, hiss came the sound in the distance, a full minute before Tangmere appeared from around the bend by the old Wilpshire station. Tangmere was working hard judging by the exhaust coming from her chimney but all sounds were drowned out by the hiss, hiss, hiss of the escaping steam, and it was very loud but it added to the spectacle. As the loco came nearer it passed from shadow into sunlight and back into shadow all the while white steam blasting from the driver's side cylinder. It was difficult to say how much the 57 might have been pushing as the train was well beyond the summit as it passed beneath the bridge. 12C (and feeling pleasant), 4E & 32mph (but well past the summit).

6. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

A true 10A loco today with that drain cock.

Romsey likes this.
  7. 30910

30910 Member

Retired
    Tangmere on the 20/04/2024 Northern Belle trip at Shap Wells and Kirkby Stephen:

ragl, nige757, RalphW and 4 others like this.
  8. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Presumably, once whatever gubbins had got into the cock to prevent it from closing properly, clearing it out is not a quick job and has to wait until the loco is back at base.

9. sgthompson

Tobacco manufacturing
    34067 near Sedgwick .

30910, ragl, 62440 and 12 others like this.
  10. 46203

46203 Member

_DSC3783-Edit.jpg

Shortly after leaving Carlisle, 34067 passes under bridge 349 with the return NB on 27.04.24. It was quite dark with rain and a hint of hail - not bad for Spring...

30910, ragl, 62440 and 7 others like this.
  11. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  12. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

Who's that wally in the yellow hat?? :rolleyes:

13. Shep Woolley

Shep Woolley Well-Known Member Friend

Retired
    Northern Belle 10 1 NP.jpg

You hear the sound of approaching steam, the sun is about to make an appearance and then you hear something approaching from the right, the air was about to turn blue and this happens, SR Battle of Britain class No. 34067 'Tangmere' makes an
    appearance with the northbound 'Northern Belle from Covventry to Carlisle with Steve Chipperfield driving, Rob Russell on the shovel and Steve Adams Guard, this crew will work the return to Preston

Northern Belle 10 2 NP.jpg

Determined not to be bowled with the return 'Northern Belle' No. 34067 heads away from Ribblehead and on to Preston

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  14. sgthompson

Tobacco manufacturing
    You’re luck was in
    You’re luck was in this morning mate !!

15. 46203

46203 Member

Ha, it’s a wonder the driver didn’t treat your hat as a caution signal!

iancawthorne likes this.
  16. Oswald T Wistle

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    From habit Oswald usually heads to the summit of Wilpshire Bank, but today it was time for a change, so I headed towards the foot of the bank - Whalley Arches. There is a relatively new housing development that gives limited views of the south end of the viaduct, the field of view is restricted by trees and lamp posts on the adjacent A666. The road is not usually too busy but today, just at my chosen location, was a set of temporary lights that caused the cars to queue and then pass in convoys - ah well. I had just set up my tripod when Jeremy's Midland Pullman headed north across the Arches, it was early having omitted the scheduled Langho stop - again. Oswald was not ready!

Next should be the Rochdale Flyer followed by Tangmere. The service train came and went. Tangmere had left Clitheroe 9E and so would have to stop before the Whalley signal until the service train cleared Daisyfield Jn. After a bit of a wait a column of steam appeared from what looked like a stationary train, a whistle and then shortly afterwards some dark exhaust and movement. The trail of exhaust eased its way through the trees and eventually curved round and onto the viaduct. Now some noise and some filthy clag as Tangmere eased her train across the viaduct. As she disappeared a loud whistle for Billington foot crossing.

This afternoon, I had a couple of assistants, no not Mrs W and Oswald Jnr, but a couple of children from a nearby house, a boy and girl perhaps 2 or 3 years old. They stood a few yards away with their dad and made train whistle sounds - what is not to like. Tangmere put on a show and Oswald enjoyed it - thanks to all involved.

What of the location? Okish, access and parking are good but there are a few visual obstructions and the grassy area is very close to the road which lies between it and the railway. Today there was only a breeze but the spot is very exposed to winds from the SW round thro W to the N. I had a wind shield on the mic of my second camera, but it is not the best and consequently I reduced the volume in a attempt to cut out some of the annoyance.

The NBelle was returning to Coventry and coincidentally Mrs W's team played against Coventry, a nil-nil draw.

kaydee, Paul42, jsm8b and 15 others like this.
  17. Shep Woolley

Shep Woolley Well-Known Member Friend

Retired
    Northern Belle 44871 4 NP.jpg

Ian Riley's Black 5 No. 44871 works the return 'Northern Belle' away from Shotlock Tunnel back to Hellifield and then on to Darlington with Mick Rawling driving (cheers for the wave Mick), Fraser Birrell on the shovel and Steve Adams Guard

Last edited: May 25, 2024
    iancawthorne, ragl, Will RL and 8 others like this.
  18. nige757

nige757 Member

retired
    44871 seen rounding the corner from Mallerstang Edge and up to Aisgill Summit.

Mick45305, RalphW, sgthompson and 7 others like this.
  19. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It’s situations like this when Opentime Trains Maps are quite useful

20. Oswald T Wistle

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    After 3 days of rain in Wistleland it was a pleasure to finally get a dry day. (On Thursday evening when Mrs W and I stood in the drizzle at R&W, it was dry in Clitheroe. In fact looking at all the photos and videos it appears to have been dry everywhere except where Oswald happened to be. At least I have a brolly unlike our PM - what a wally!).

Today's Northern Belle was a bit of an oddball with steam limited to south over the S&C. Most NB "Steam Specials" are diesel hauled to Carnforth, then steam over Shap to Carlisle returning south over the S&C, thro' Blackburn to Preston. At Preston diesel takes over and the steamer heads back to Carnforth. Most of the steam miles are at the head of the train with very few "light engine" miles. Today was mostly LE miles; Carnforth to Hellifield then over the S&C to Carlilse and finally Hellifield back to Carnforth.

So the day was fair, Mrs W went out, Oswald Jnr went out and Diego went out and found himself a sheltered spot in the sun - Oswald was in charge! I didn't fancy the longish drive up to Ais Gill so settled on watching the train somewhere between Settle and Hellifield before scooting over to Giggleswick to watch the loco head back to 10A. I left in plenty of time. My usual route is via Clayton le Moors to the Whalley roundabout on the A59 Clitheroe bypass. Currently there are some 4-way temporary lights at the turning off to Whalley, these have been causing horrendous delays. Today was plan B, go via Wilpshire and onto the bypass at the Langho roundabout only to find that there is now a temporary 30mph speed limit from the Langho roundabout to the Whalley roundabout ("How's that for snooker?!"). The layby on this section of the A59 that is nearest to Whalley Arches has also been closed. (These measures are linked to an access route for construction of a flood avoidance scheme associated with some new housing that is being built - on a flood plain!!)

I eventually arrived at Long Preston and instead of the station decided to try the bridge on A682 Gisburn Road that gives a distant view of the station. I managed to squeeze into a spot alongside a car with an oldish guy asleep (or worse) in the driver's seat. Eventually he woke, grabbed a camera and tripod from the boot and headed towards the bridge. I gathered up my kit and followed him. The location was not the wisest choice as there was plenty of traffic and a blustery east wind, exactly the wrong direction to bring the sound of the approaching train. Ah well, once there, I had to make the best of a bad job. We checked RTT regularly and eventually the train was due, the hoped for sun was "hit and miss" - mainly miss! The train drifted thro' the station, all a bit of a non-event as it always threated to be. However, it is always good to see one of IR's "Fives". 17C & 9L. The best sounds came long after the train had gone, the east wind carried some fine "chuffing" as 44871 drew the train into the loop at Hellifield.

A quick trip over to a deserted and sunny Giggleswick. The tight side would give the loco in sun but the wide side gave the better angles and, with no service trains due, I opted for the wide side. I got myself ready, approach and going away shots. I was joined by a local, well he was from Clapham and had been shopping at Booths in Settle and had done a detour to watch the train - well done, him! The loco appeared in the far distance, running tender first it didn't look like a steam loco, more a black square. It came nearer, wheels clicking on the rail joints, a blast on the hooter for the foot crossing, Mick Rawling leaning out. We exchanged waves and I got a whistle - what a result! Thanks, Mick. Once through the platforms the regulator was opened and the loco chuffed off into the distance - a bit of a timeless scene. 17C & RT and very, very pleasant.

Mick45305, RalphW, sgthompson and 9 others like this.