If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Northern Belle 2024

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by sgthompson, Mar 30, 2024.

1. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    Doesn’t the driver sometimes get off the footplate and access the lineside phone ( if available) to get in touch with the signalman Ralph ? Seem to remember seeing it on video before today.

2. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes, the signalman will stop the train at a signal that has this sign indicating there is a phone there.

[​IMG]

A signal post telephone. The phone calls direct to the signaller and is for use by drivers of trains held at a red signal in accordance with Module S4 of the Rule Book (GE/RT8000/S4 Section 1.1). However, in an emergency anyone can use such a telephone to call the signaller to report an incident requiring trains to be stopped. A later variation on this sign had a numeral in a circle showing the number of minutes a driver should wait before contacting the signal if this was different from the two minutes shown in the Rule Book.

sgthompson likes this.
  3. Shep Woolley

Shep Woolley Well-Known Member Friend

Retired
    Northern Belle 8 1 NP.jpg

SR BoB class No. 34067 'Tangmere' puts on a show as it works the 'Northern Belle' through Beckfoot and on to Carlisle with Mick Kelly driving, Craig Todd firing and Matt Miller Guard. The crew will also work the return

Northern Belle 8 4 NP.jpg

Hanging on to the camera for dear life in the windy conditions and true to form my personal cloud turns up just at the wrong time as 'Tangmere' works the return 'Northern Belle' over Crosby Garrett Viaduct back to Preston

30910, DWH 2848, Haighie and 12 others like this.
  4. nige757

nige757 Member

retired
    34067 seen at Oxenholme and Waitby Rock Cutting as Storm Kathleen blows in.

30910, DWH 2848, ribble and 7 others like this.
  5. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    Mrs W has a problem with the ORR, not that ORR, but Oswald's Railway Rewards; Mrs W gets the occasional small reward for accompanying Oswald on one of his railway outings, be it videoing or a trip on a train. The reward is often a bottle of sparking wine. Much like the Sunday School Prizes of old, much store is placed on "Good Behaviour and Regular Attendance", best not to dwell on the first attribute, it is the second that it is giving rise for concern. Mrs W was unavailable today, again; this makes it only one appearance in the last 4 outings. She was at football a nil-nil draw, she would have been better coming with me. Or would she, I could certainly have done with an assistant . . .

Despite being very windy the forecast was dry. Once again the Northern Belle was booked for a longish stop at Hellifield (26 mins) and a further 9 mins at Clitheroe. This should give me time to see it at Settle , Helwith Bridge or Horton in R and then scoot over to Wilpshire. Even though it was a Northern strike day, they were bound to run to time for "catering reasons" or so I thought.

Mrs W and Oswald Jnr left for the football leaving just me and Diego (a neighbour's cat) who was asleep upstairs. I got ready and loaded up the car, now just Diego. He was a bit reluctant, after a bit of coaxing and a few sit-downs, a few stretches and a few yawns on the way to the door (the cat not me!) he left, I reckoned it had taken me the best part of 5 minutes. I still had time in hand until, I got stuck behind a slow moving concrete pumping vehicle on the A59, then I was third in a convoy behind a Suzuki that was driven at 25-30mph on the winding A682 between Gisburn and Long Preston (a road that has limits of 50 and 60mph) it was almost 5 miles before it was my turn to pass. Finally on the A65 leaving Long Preston I joined a long tailback behind a slow moving tractor and trailer.

Eventually I reached Horton in R and according to the satnav I had lost 10mins on the journey from home (and a 5min cat delay). A check of RTT showed that the train had already cleared Blea Moor. No time to lose, no coat no tripod just a camera and mic. Up to the north end of the platform, camera on top of a low wall pointing north. hold it in place because of the very strong wind, At least the sun was shining. I waited for about 5mins and then it dawned, the train had gone! Another check on RTT, a quick calculation and I'd probably missed it by less than 5mins. Hey ho! I'm not going to blame Diego, the Suzuki driver, the tractor driver, the train driver (25E) or even myself but next time I'll allow an extra 15-20mins. Out of the wind and in the sun it was a pleasant 16C (17.5C in the Ribble Valley). [Had Mrs W been with me she could have checked RTT en route seen the early running and we could have stayed further south].

Nothing to do but head for Wilpshire. A relatively uneventful journey, once again Whalley Arches were bathed in lovely afternoon sunshine. I parked up near Ramsgreave & W station and checked RTT, b*gger!! the train had already left Clitheroe (38E). I grabbed my bits and pieces and headed for the platform. The wind was blowing directly from behind, there was no chance of hearing Tangmere approach. Suddenly she was round the bend and coming up the straight. The exhaust was translucent grey in the warm evening air, with just a wisp at the safety valves. As she drew nearer the noise of her exhaust became louder, plenty of work from the front. The speed seemed realistic as she passed thro' the platforms, the fireman resting on the cab window. The coaches passed by, looking resplendent and finally 57.313 Scarborough Castle, pushing but not excessively. Soon the train disappeared around the bend followed shortly afterwards by plenty of whistling (I'd already turned the camera off). 16C, 38E & 26mph.

I was home much earlier than expected, before Mrs W and Oswald Jnr but not before Diego. He was first through the door, straight upstairs and 5 minutes later was asleep in exactly the same spot where I had awakened him around 3 hours earlier.

6. John2

John2 Member

The signaller is able to contact the driver using the GSM-R.

7. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

Nothing, Alan. This is what happened - after the train had come to a stand. It is safer to convey important information to a driver who is stationary, rather than to one who is bowling along at xxxmph (especially if he is on a noisy steam loco)
    Yes he does, Ralph, via the GSM-R. In this instance the local signaller was in Carlisle box
    Signal post telephones still very much exist but the preferred means of communication between driver and signaller is via the GSM-R radio fitted to all locos on the network these days. It is much safer than the driver having to go trackside to use the telephone, especially on busy lines.

Peter

35B, RalphW, keith6233 and 5 others like this.
  8. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

I think you will find that the local signaller has the means to get a message to the crew without stopping the train. As I said this is 2024.

9. Big Al

I accept that your knowledge is greater than mine but it really is a nonsense to suggest that GSMR isn't the most sensible way to do it especially when stopping a steam train adds quite a delay and creates unnecessary extra work for the crew. It happened on the WCML for goodness sake.

10. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    Thanks for the detailed information Peter especially when it comes from someone who knows what they’re talking about.

RalphW and Shep Woolley like this.
  11. Walker

Walker New Member

Almost all tocs want their drivers to bring your train to a stand to stand to answer GSM-R calls now. XC drivers are banned from answering calls on the move.
    If I were driving steam and got a contact signaller message on the GSM-R I would bring my train to a stand and call him back. It’s the safest thing to do. Drivers care about conditions to restart the train, they do not concern themselves with delays.

RalphW, acorb and torgormaig like this.
  12. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    There aren't any other ways of communicating with the driver, so I don't know what you suggest. I've never had the pleasure of using GSM-R on the move, but I know from testing and commissioning it on stationary EMUs, it's not the easiest to hear over background noise. It must be impossible in the cab of a steam loco on the move.

13. Big Al

Sorry to create this debate. It just seemed an unhelpful way of communicating and contrary to a few implied criticisms I wasn't talking rubbish. Perhaps someone will explain why the signaller on a returning Belmond trip from Bath. once used the GSMR to contact the driver whilst the train was at speed to warn him that the train was about to be looped so as to allow a late running train from Exeter to pass.

So the right thing does happen sometimes.

14. Groks212

Groks212 Well-Known Member

Given the current situation with WCRC and ORR the last thing I'd expected to see today would be someone with their head, shoulders and arm out of a droplight on a WCRC train. If you look at @nige757's video around 3mins 3o in you can see him waving. If he's a member of staff you'd think he'd have more sense, if a passenger, it is one of the dining coaches after all , then is that a lack of stewarding? Last thing WCRC need right now is more trouble with ORR.

Dave B

15. Walker

Walker New Member

Why are you highlighting it then if you cared about that?

blink bonny and keith6233 like this.
  16. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Thanks for pointing that out Dave,needs to be addressed!

Sheff likes this.
  17. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    Rather than pointing it out on an open forum perhaps a private message to James Shuttleworth might be more appropriate?

18. henrywinskill

James is on the forum he will have seen it and acted on it.

Sheff, 26D_M and Groks212 like this.
  19. Groks212

Groks212 Well-Known Member

If I wanted to highlight it I could have inserted a screenshot. All I've done is commented on a video clip just as any other member of NP can, without expecting to be criticised by you for doing so.

Dave B

Sheff likes this.
  20. henrywinskill

Dave,if the videos hadn't appeared we wouldn't have known about the idiot on the train. Criticizing you is being rather silly.

Big Al likes this.