If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

North Yorkshire Moors Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by The Black Hat, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Correct - the GW Inspection Saloon is booked on the diner this Sunday, taking the length and weight of the train beyond what we normally expect of Class 4 locomotives.

Steven

2. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    And taking it into class 6 territory.

In actual fact, I think that you'll find the Cl4 is theoretically slightly better than a Black 5 for an 8 coach diner. According to my calcs, anyway. A class 5 has a theoretical TE of 25,455 lbf and requires 23,578 lbf TE to drag itself and the train up the 1 in 49 whereas a Cl4 75XXX has a TE of 25,100 lbf and requires 22,656 lbf to drag itself and train. The difference comes because the Cl4 weighs less than a black 5 but the TE's are virtually identical.. When it gets to the 1 in 42 at Darnholme, the locos have nothing to spare. BR figures for a Black 5 don't give loads for 1 in 49 nor speeds of less than 20 mph but, if you extrapolate the curves, you get a max trailing load of 268 tons at 15.5mph, somewhat less than an 8 coach diner at 310 tons fully laden. I don't have figures for the cl4. The difference between theory and practice is due to the fact that the locos are not to spec, having bigger cylinders and smaller wheels and the average torque is higher than the theoretical, in any case.

1 person likes this.
  3. pete12000

pete12000 Member

Thanks for the info'!!

4. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    Saw 75029 last weekend on its 2nd? public outing apparently, seemed to go well!

5. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    75029 has now been reuninted with "The Green Knight" nameplates, observed yesterday working Grosmont - Levisham shuttles alongside D5061.

44871 arrived late Friday and covered the 24 diagram today.

69023 "Joem" at New Bridge, Pickering awaiting collection for SVR, Barrowhill tour.

6. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Anyone got any idea what is running and when over Easter? Id be greatful for the update.

7. Jark91

Jark91 Member

The website has 825, 75029, 44871 and 92214 as serviceable, with 45407 arriving today.

8. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Have the winter p-way/civils work been completed on time, despite the change in the weather? Was looking for an update on the NYMR unofficial site, but nothing since early April.
    May I also ask (if I am allowed to do so) if the Gresley coach damaged in the runaway incident is on the way to recovery?

Thanks.

9. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
    All works completed on time with no delays.
    News was published by me on the said site with photos available on the York Area Group site (link at bottom)
    Basically though the works over the winter were:-
    Beck Hole reclipping.
    Fen Bog reclipping.
    Levisham relay 14 length.
    Levisham rerail through level crossing and redeck the crossing in timber. (Reduced road traffic now the forest drive is closed to through traffic)
    Newbridge relay 12 length.
    Trout Farm renew crossover with new Flat Bottom C in 10 unit.
    Pickering Station Bridge 7 replace bridge with new concrete deck and embed rail in Edilon.
    Rerail Pickering station.
    Newbridge yard loco stabling point rebuild and realign south end of pit road.

I think that is about it.

10. 46118

Many thanks Bryan.

Mercifully you had somewhat kinder weather compared to the big bridge job the other year !

11. Bean-counter

Apologies not been keeping this forum as up to date as when Bridge 30 done - although Bryan took up the task!

On the coach, I don't think work has been able to start yet. A major factor in this has been the extra shunting required to swap vehicles in to and out of the C & W yard due to the work on Bridge 7, meaning that getting through annual examinations and known running repairs has been a challenge. When we started the season with shorter trains, this wasn't just an efficiency drive - that was all that was available!

Steven

12. jimmywest73

jimmywest73 New Member

Thanks for the information. I was trying to find this.

13. 46118

Good to find NYMR TV back --in a revised format-- after an absence of some months. Access via the main NYMR website.

Slight typo on the NYMR website today has 44871 down as a "Standard 4", I wonder if Ian Riley knows he has a "Riddles Black 4"...?

14. 46118

Sorry to find yesterday that the unofficial NYMR forum has gone to registered members only, at least as far as discussions re the NYMR are concerned.

Hmm, two website reductions in two days, is this the start of a trend as far as heritage railways are concerned?

15. 46118

The main NYMR website has a piece about the Spring Gala, and makes this comment: "Services will be running throughout the 7 days along the NYMR 24 mile stretch of line from Pickering to Whitby...." I didn't realise they owned the Esk Valley line from Grosmont to Whitby. Perhaps this was part of the deal when they started running into Whitby?

16. Bean-counter

We don't own Grosmont to Whitby but, as the service is a through sevrice running all but about a dozen summer Sundays, it is very much a case that NYMR services run the 24 miles, just not all of them (50% do on over half the main operating days.

Steven

17. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    I see that 50027 Lion is to leave the railway. A shame in some ways, that it is going given its sizeable nature and quite a machine, but understandable given the Network Southeast machine doesnt quite fit in with the heritage idea the line tries to protray (mind if that is your arguement for it going Repton and the S15 should be on the way out too...).

Of concern is the news that the 50 was tripped to Pickering behind a steam engine, with no diesel available to take it south. Does the line have a diesel shortage given the amount of them there as surely a diesel to do ECS and trip work would be more efficient and save on costs? I ask as its noticed that the line is asking for funds for coal, etc,

18. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    No diesels were available for a couple days as D5061 was stopped for investigation into engine shutting down last Saturday, back into service tonight I hear.

101680 - available.

D7628 - tyres

37264 - various

31128 - Burton on Trent, wheelsets

12139 - Grosmont MPD shunter

08556 - New Bridge shunter

08850 - Pickering C&W shunter

D2207 - stripped for overhaul, but now stopped

D5032 - no new news

19. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    What ever happend to sundays? Upto 6 years ago sunday was Gold day, which also ment all steam but since the whitby's started sunday has become worse and worse every year with the current time table it should be called stay away sunday, as not only is the silver only 6 trains but 2 are diesel and the days is stretched out leaving long gaps with nothing or a diesel running. Why the whitby trains have had such an effect beats me when the railway doesn't even run a whitby train on a sunday, so if anything we should less preasure to keep to the time table. I know the excuse is supposably its going home day for people, well with the time table being as such what else is there to do? Frankly no one is going to book weekend stay either. So I expect in the future years sunday to slip even further to a dmu only day and then nothing no doubt, while almost every other railway line in country managers to run an intensive time table, do doubt with many punters who would have once been NYMR weekend or sunday punters.

20. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    I have similar thoughts on the NYMR's Sunday services. These used to be a full timetable on Sundays. It doesn't seem to fit in with the idea of people having a day out on Sunday. Having asked in the appropriate places, I'm told that Sunday visitors have reduced sustantially in recent years and the present timetable fulfills the demand. I'm not sure whether it is a chicken and egg situation, though, although the fact that NYMR trains cannot run to Whitby on Sundays may have contributed to the situation as a significant number of NYMR passengers have the intention of travelling to Whitby.

Have any other 7 day week heritage railways noticed a similar phenomenon?