If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

North Yorkshire Moors Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by The Black Hat, Feb 13, 2011.

1. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    There any specific times on when trains are running past Grosmont on the line towards Battersby? This just to be at Gala events again, with Whitby services running through to Pickering on summer workings...

2. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    Apart from the evening Esk Valley Pullman diners, next booked Battersby workings are expected to be 18th September & 2nd October, unless Steven can tell us any different?

Pickering - Whitby trains are daily apart from the current summer Sundays (until & including
    11th September) when Northern Rail operate into Whitby.

Cheers

3. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Every Saturday in July is scheduled to be an evening run to Battersby from Grosmont - ordinary seating is available on these trains.

Currently expected to be 45407 on the first couple, then probably 44767. I will bring any updates as they occur!

Steven

4. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Thanks Andrew, do they not run on Sundays due to Nunthorpe box which controls the line being shut as there are no Northern services. Id expect that to be the reason for it.

5. Bean-counter

No reverse actually David - when we can run Sundays, Nunthorpe has to open specially!

The Sunday Northern branch service is completely different to the Monday to Saturday service, taking advantage of spare units not needed elsewhere to run 4 train as other days but over a shorter period and leaving a set down at Whitby. This means that the paths we use other days aren't available unfortunately.

This does make for an "easier" day on Sundays - later start and earlier finish, one less loco and fewer crews, but it also at least halves the ticket takings (judging by last weekend)

Steven

6. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    http://www.nymrdiesel.co.uk/

Joem is out tomorrow;

69023 1030, 1430 ex Grosmont, banked by 37264.

Presume that 45428 is Whitby loco and 80072 is Pickering 1100 turn.

Not sure what is on 1130 ex Grosmont......

37264 on 0900 & 1200, 1600 ex Pickering (69023 on rear of 1200/1600).

D7628 on 1000 & 1400 ex Pickering, 1230 ex Grosmont.

D5061 1800 ex Grosmont.

7. Luke Bridges

Luke Bridges New Member

Visited today, and just wondered if anybody knows what happened to the 14:00 at whitby, we were told after a while that it would be 20 minutes late and be topped and tailed, when it turned up it wasn't, then at grosmont, eric treacy left us as it was the only whitby engine running. Not complaining about the railway as i had a fantastic time and will ride again next week. Apparently it was a failed loco ?? Does anybody have any more details ?

8. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I don't know if there were any problems today so i can't answer about loco failures. The Railway occasionally top'n'tails Whitby trains if they are running late to minimse any penaly payments. The running round process at Whitby takes a good twenty minutes due to having to detrain passengers, lock all the doors and the guard to have to walk to Bog Hall sidings with the key token and operate the ground frame. The train has then to be propelled back out to Bog Hall sidings before the loco can run round and then the reverse process completed. Having a loco at either end can reduce the turn round to a quick five minutes. As regards Eric Treacy (45428) coming off at Grosmont, it is quite usual to do this as the norm is to only have one Whitby approved loco in traffic and locos are swapped at Grosmont. Even when there are two Whitby locos available some loco swapping still takes place to make it work.

The Bean Counter may be able to provide more information of what happened.

Edit. Apparently 44767 was failed with a leaking steam pipe between engine & tender (presumably the steam brake?)

9. Bean-counter

Steve's update is about all I have learned.

The 13:10 ex-Grosmont goes on to the Branch immediately after the lunchtime Northern clearing, so the return is not tight agaionst the next Northern needing to enter section (there is over 30 minutes spare). On peak (Gold) timetable, the 14:00 has to do Whitby to Pickering to Whitby to Grosmont, which takes 4 hours 20 minutes and be clear of the branch absolutely no later than 18:35, so the lunchtime one can need topping and tailing to recover time (although the train has still to slot into the hourly Pickering to Grosmont service). On other timetables, like yesterday, the last Whitby train is a different set of coaches and start from Goathland at 16:10. This is why 45428 came off the 14:20 arrival at Grosmont - to be available for this train. Intermediate and peak timetable can be worked with 1 Whitby loco; in order to work properly with 3 steam locos, off peak (Green) needs two Whitby locos. Red and Gold can also work with 2 Whitby locos.

Our Operating Manager has worked out that Grosmont Station has more daily train movements than any other station in North Yorkshire except York!

Steven

10. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Sorry for phrasing it badly, but thats what I expected. When the Sunday service Northern runs isnt operational during the winter, Nunthrope would have to open for you, but given that during the summer is when your most likely to run to Whitby it can seem to make it harder. I guess the alternative is to run to Battersby but this in effect means running on two branches rather than one, so makes it harder to run. Downside to all this however, is terminating at Grosmont on sundays, and the lack of the extra appeal of Whitby, which in turn will reduce people and the money coming in that youve mentioned.

I need to have a trip over there soon....

11. Bean-counter

All being well, especially with the post test run paperwork and tonight's planned spark arrester trial, 44767 should make its return to Network Rail metals on Saturday evening (if not sooner!) hauling the Esk Valley Pullman from Grosmont to Battersby - details: http://www.nymr.co.uk/2011/07/join-...t-to-battersby-each-saturday-evening-in-july/

Q6 63395, Super D 49395, 9F 92214 and 4MT 80072 are all now in service, alongside 45428 and 44767. 825 is undergoing minor repairs but should soon be back.

A couple of pictures taken on the main test run on Tuesday:

Steven

Attached Files:

12. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Is she fitted with OTMR, or is she just going to be an Esk Valley loco for the forseeable future?

Regards,
    Chris

13. kesr

kesr Member

Owner
    I was very fortunate to be on NYMR last week staying in the camping coach at levisham....... I had great time travelling on the line among black 5's and the recent return of 92214.... have many great photos and will post up shortly

14. Bean-counter

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Unfortunately, 44767 will not be ready in time for Saturday evening's diner, which means the train will actually to be Pickering not Battersby. Apologies for this late change. It isn hoped a few last minute jobs will be completed by the middle of next week and hence 44767 should be available for the evening trip to Battersby on Saturday, 23rd July 2011.

Apologies again for any diappointment

44767 is not fitted to OTMR, so is limited to Whitby to Battersby.

Steven

15. Bean-counter

75029's boiler has passed its insurance hydraulic exam today. Steam test planned for next week (out of frames).

Steven

16. Edward

Edward Member

On a more immediately useful note, S15 825 back in traffic after ejector repairs.

17. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Excuse my ignorance, but is it just the lack of OTMR (and presumably NYMR service requirements) that prevent NYMR Whitby passed locomotives going mainline, or is there a specific Network Rail approval for NYMR locomotives exclusively for use on the Battersby-Whitby line or approval for a certain speed limit ?

18. Bean-counter

The requirement for OTMR is a Group Standard, unlike TPWS which is a requirement of an Act of Parliament. The RSSB can grant exemptions from Group Standard and that is what the NYMR has for use of non-OTMR fitted locos between Whitby and Battersby. All mainline approved steam locos have something like 80 exemptions from Group Standards in order to operate anywhere on Network Rail and NYMR Whitby to Battersby locos also. As far as I am aware, no exemption to operate without OTMR has been applied for beyond Whitby to Battersby, definitely not by the NYMR.

Group Standards do not, of course, apply on heritage lines but do on Network Rail. The legal requirement for TPWS has similar scope (but also includes Northern Ireland, which was not privatised) but much more limited exemptions (a few shunters and track machine which can operate only in possessions with TPWS).

The secondary door loco requirement (again a legal requirement) is differently defined and applies to the operation of passengers trains, but any train operating at a maximum speed of 40kph or less is not defined as being a "train"!

NYMR locos without OTMR have a speed restriction of 45mph, being the maximum speed between Battersby and Grosmont (Grosmont to Whitby is less). In a similar way, the Mark 1 ban derogation for NYMR coaches, which applies betweenn Miidlesbrough and Whitby, lists a maximum speed of 50mph as this is the maximum between Battersby and Middlesbrough.

Steven

19. Bean-counter

I have missed saying here that 44767 returned to Network rail metals (I think it would be Railtrack when it last ran) on Wednesday and should, all things being equal, be available for the Battersby Pullman on Saturday. Arangements as last week - non-Pullman seating available at the rear, with or without catering offer.

Steven

20. Bean-counter

75029's boiler passed its insurance steam test yesterday.

825, 44767, 45428, 63395, 92212 and 69023 are all currently available. 80072 has had a spring changed and will be weighed before returning to traffic. 49395 is undergoing repairs to piston packing. Both 80072 and 49395 are expected to have work completed today. 61994 is booked to arrive Sunday (see UK Steam).

Steven