If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

North Yorkshire Moors Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by The Black Hat, Feb 13, 2011.

1. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Is there room in Pickering for a "covered stable" accommodating 40 coaches?

2. Rosedale

Rosedale Member

I think I'm right in saying that the proposed site is on the West side of the line between the old trout lake and the New Bridge cottages.

3. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Groundhog day.

4. 43729

43729 New Member

Are there any plans to provide and equally robust fleet of locomotives to operate the line?

Matt37401 likes this.
  5. Rosedale

Rosedale Member

926, 63395, and 5428 will be back this year, with 825, 34101, and 80135 all following next year along with, all being well, 65894 and 60007. Restoration of 73672 is under way, as is work on 29's cylinders, leaving an overhaul queue consisting of 5, 30830, 75029, and possibly 3814; one of the shortest queues of any major heritage line. Of the four steam locomotives currently in service, only 44806 is likely to be withdrawn in the near future, which means that barring accidents in 2018 the line should have a ten- or eleven-strong working steam fleet.

49010, banburysaint and jnc like this.
  6. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Wasn't 34101 supposed to be back in action last year?

7. 43729

43729 New Member

I was just pointing out that this windfall seems to have avoided the loco dept.
    By my reckoning the situation is;
    825 being done off site.
    34101 boiler work off site.
    80135 been to several contractors
    J27 done off site
    60007 at nrm and llan
    830 very long term by private owners
    3814 work being done at llan
    5 and 29 too small?

Maybe a shed for the small overhaul queue should be added to the list.

8. Rosedale

Rosedale Member

Boiler of 825 being done off site by owners in their own facility in Scarborough. Rest being done on site.
    34101 firebox being done off site as part of a job lot along with the fireboxes of several other Bulleids from other lines.
    80135 done in house except for boiler, which went to one contractor and is now being finished off on site. The mechanical overhaul is complete and the problems with the boiler had nothing to do with funding.
    J27 being done by owners at their main restoration base in a more convenient location than a small village a long way from anywhere. Most NELPG overhauls since the 80s have been carried out off site.
    60007 being done by owners in a more convenient location than a small village a long way from anywhere.
    830 likely to be done when 825 completed, partly at Grosmont and partly in Scarborough.
    3814 may or may not stay on the Moors which is why I said 'possibly'.
    5 and 29 perfectly capable of handling six coach trains, which accounts for most off-peak services.

Most of the mothballed locos are stored undercover in the Deviation and wheeldrop sheds

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  9. Rosedale

Rosedale Member

For various reasons there has been a marked increase in productivity at the shed over the past year and a half.

10. 43729

43729 New Member

I don't think we're talking about the same railway.....

34101, 3814, 830, 75029, 80135 boiler, dame Vera are all outside.

IF there were facilities at the small village far away from anywhere were suitable i believe all locos would be repaired on site.

11. Rosedale

Rosedale Member

I said most of the mothballed locos. 34101, 80135, and 73672 are not mothballed, and 75029 will doubtless be back undercover as soon as the wheeldrop shed becomes vacant again. Anyway as you plainly have an axe to grind with the Moors I shall leave you to your own devices.

12. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Please don't take this as having a go but from the outside looking in something is not quite right, for the past few years the NYMR always seems to be firefighting it's position as regards loco availability. I appreciate it has a unique position ie Whitby, Battersby etc but for what I'd call one of our Champions League railways why does it always seem to be short of power?

13. 43729

43729 New Member

I have no axe to grind. I spend my days fixing boilers. Seldom in ideal conditions and often against the clock.

I know I am not alone, and many loco works and boilershops up and down the country are filled with folk like me, who simply wish that railways, trusts, managers and onlookers took on board the size of the task of keeping locomotives going and made provision for the engineering side of things in large schemes like this one.

Optimism doesn't provide any heritage railway with a working fleet of locomotives.

Herald, gwalkeriow and jnc like this.
  14. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    Id think that's as Grosmont owns more of its own engines compared to lines that hire them all in off groups. Instead of the owning group having to fix them, the NYMR has to service its own fleet and prioritses its own assets accordingly as it should.

I think the NYMR own outright 45428, 44806, 75029, 76079, 80135. I'm not sure but think they now own 30926 and the two Lambton tanks No.s 5 and 29. So it has more work to do on its own running fleet. You then add some diesels too such as 08's, 24, 25 and 101.

Some engines are on long term agreements such as 34101, 80136, 63395, 65894, 60007.

That's a lot to be on with.

15. Rosedale

Rosedale Member

The two Black 5s and three of the 4MTs are owned by the railway. Repton and Vera are also owned by the NYMR, under a separate arrangement in that one of the terms of Cliff Brown's donation of the locos to the line was that they could not be sold on but could only be donated to another railway; they are essentially held in trust by the railway until it no longer wants them. The Lambtons are owned by the Lambton Locomotives Trust but mostly maintained by the railway. 34101 and 80136 are on long term loan (IIRC for 25 and 10 years respectively) and maintained by the railway, and I think the same is true of 1264. Everything else is maintained/being restored by its owners, these being NELPG, the A4LS, the ELS, and Peter Robinson.

There were a number of reasons for the loco shortages of recent years. Suffice it to say that most of these reasons no longer apply and that, although things are currently tight on the motive power front, this too will shortly be a thing of the past and that in the meantime steam availability is remarkably good considering the work the four engines are putting in, and unlike in previous years there have been very few cancellations or diesel substitutions. Morale is high, productivity is high, reliability is high.

16. banburysaint

banburysaint Member

For the lottery application I believe that the mpd element was excluded, I presume because as it is the railway was after a record award. It may also be that the mpd plan was not as advanced as the remainder and the bridges at Goathland need work in very short period of time

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

17. Rosedale

Rosedale Member

Incidentally I'm not sure if there's a correlation between lack of covered accommodation and loco shortages. Yes, keeping stored engines undercover slows deterioration and thus makes overhauls cheaper, but shortages of motive power don't generally happen because engines are stored outdoors. The Bluebell's problems over the past few years have not been a consequence of many engines being kept outside and neither have the NYMR's, and there can't be many 'major league' lines which are in a position to keep everything indoors all of the time. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the KWVR, and it too has recently known periods when it struggled for motive power. Much has to do with priorities, policy, personalities, and luck. Luck in particular is a huge factor, because you can't really legislate against a supplier selling you a lot of duff components, or a loco owner dying or retiring or needing the money for something else, or a manager deciding that an engine's face doesn't fit, or roadworks blocking your low loader access, or people falling out, or somebody saying something stupid to somebody else. One railway lost an engine because while it was being loaded to go to another line's gala some berk told the owner not to bother bringing it back.

jnc likes this.
  18. Brunswick Green 2

Brunswick Green 2 Member

I would suggest that the fleet on the NYMR has to work harder than any other preserved line with the inevitable consequences in the repair queue. I understand that several loco owners over the years have refused to loan their engines to the Moors because of this very situation. I applaud the MPD staff and associated volunteers for all their endeavours despite some of the snide comments that appear on blogs such as this.

unslet, oldmrheath, railrover and 7 others like this.
  19. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    You are almost certainly right in your comment that something was not quite right. Put it down to personalities. Things have now changed and very much for the better. One simple decision was to make a slight change to the timetables and do some FTR's at Pickering, both of which were non-starters 18 months ago. This has saved a loco being steamed on all except the Gold timetable. And just as important, the need for an additional crew. The immediate effect of this is to reduce the number of working locos needed to service the Railway and reduce the need for paid staff to cover footplate work to almost zero,
    For a good example of the new attitude and can-do approach, look at (30)926. Boiler back in the frames a week last Thursday and the loco is now all but complete and ready for steam trials, hopefully towards the end of next week. One person from another railway ventured to suggest on Facebook it would be four months from the milepost event of putting the boiler back in.

Herald, 47406, stuarttrains and 9 others like this.
  20. David R

David R Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer