If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

North Yorkshire Moors Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by The Black Hat, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Specially as it is down-hill from the place the loco stops to the buffer stops, albeit a very slight gradient by NYMR standards!

Steven

2. Bean-counter

I have asked a couple of questions of Project Manager Nick Beilby, and can advise that the New roof at Pickering will not be underdrawn, but will have tongue and grove boarding of 20mm thickness attached to the outer side of the steelwork, painted with intumescent paint, covered with felt and then Welsh slate applied. Of course, Welsh Slateb first came the area by virtue of the journey made possible by the ffestiniog and Whitby and Pickering Railways (along with a long seas journey!).

Steven

3. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

A Google search reveals a couple of images (taken yesterday) posted on a community website "rmweb" showing progress on Pickering station roof.

The entire space under the roof is now scaffolded and has staging. Looks very dark in the station! A start has been made at the south end of the station with the tongue and groove boarding mentioned above by Steven, but as the poster on rmweb says, it is difficult to judge the extent of the work progress because of the scaffolding and staging.

The poster further comments that the intention he understands is for the work to proceed from south to north on the roof, with the staging and scaffolding progressively removed as the work is completed.

4. Bean-counter

Sounds about right with the staging - known as a "crash deck" rather worryingly! The plan is to have the wood work that required this deck done and the deck removed for the start of services.

On other winter work, 76079 and 45428 have been towed to Pickering. Both are to visit Ilford by road for tyre turning on the ground lathe, and 45428 is to have its final, full paint job done at Pickering C & W. 69023 has also gone through for road tranpsort to a couple of guest appears in East Anglia. As the two locos for tyre turning have their rods off, D7628 provided traction.

Steven

5. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    See http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/28692-pickering-station-roof/

Regards

6. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    The classic shot of a steam engine resting at the south end of the station will certainly look different once the roof is finished.

http://daniel-hamblin.fpic.co.uk/p66378148.html

Then again, the new variation will be the smokebox area illuminated in daylight and the rest of the train shed in relative darkness.

Regards,

Dan

7. Pesmo

Pesmo Member

will there be any glass roof sections to let in some natural daylight or is the whole canopy to be lit by electricity?

8. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The way things are stacking up, the following locos are likely to run on the NYMR during 2011:
    Rocket, Planet, Salmon, 825, 6619, 44767, 44871, 45212, 45407, 45428, 49395, 60007, 61994, 63395, 69023, 71000, 75029, 76079, 80072 and 92214. That's 20 without trying. Adding to that there is the possibility of 53809 and 62005 appearing during the year, as well and the Autumn gala line up hasn't even been considered in the list. Has any other heritage railway managed this number of steam locos in a 12 month period? I think that the only contenders might be SVR, GCR and the WSR.

9. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    You have to wonder about the effect this will have on the railway's bottom line.

Regards

10. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

It's better than that Steve, you've omitted 61264!

11. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Hopefully, it will be positive!

12. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Other railways bring in more visitors for galas and nobody queries the economics, although perhaps they should! In this case three of the gala visitors are small, cheap to transport, engines and two of the three others are coming for an extended stay. But if one can't push the boat out a bit for one's 175th birthday, when can one!

With around 65,000 steam miles a year on average that's around 5000 miles for each of thirteen locos on average, but some will do more, some less. Several of those visitors and 69023 will run relatively few miles. The railway's service fleet engines (45428, 76079 and 75029) in particular will run more, but I think that from a wear and tear point of view most owners will be reasonably happy if they do 5000 miles in a year.

13. 46118

Re Pickering station roof, an image seen elsewhere shows that construction of the wooden smoke vent that runs the length of the roof ridge has started. Has anyone any further observations of progress at Pickering?

14. Bean-counter

Update from Project Manager Nick Beilby:

Over the weekend a considerable amount of boarding to the roof has taken place. The southern hip is now complete and work is progressing along the sides and is 20% complete. Further deliveries of timber will take place this week and additional Joiners will be on site. It is intended to board out the northern most hip and this will enable the Roofers to come in and slate both hips. Works are on schedule and I have no reason to believe that the roof will not be substantially complete by March 24th. The access scaffold is now complete and once works have been effected at the south end of the Station it will be progressively removed."

Steven

15. 46118

A couple of images on rmweb taken on the 17th show slates being fixed to the boarded roof. An interesting comment from the poster is that the slates are coming from the same Welsh quarry that supplied the originals in mid-Victorian times.

It is strange how difficult it is proving to follow this project!

16. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.
  17. Bean-counter

IMG22495.jpg IMG22506.jpg IMG22502.jpg IMG22498.jpg IMG22508.jpg The web is a strange beast, and while I have struggled to be able to keep progress reports coming, on this thread:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/28692-pickering-station-roof/

on PMWeb, there has been regular updates and lots more pictures - I trust RMWeb won't mind the link!

The latest news is not as good. Whilst progress continues to proceed, the scaffolding will not be clear of the Station for the start of services but is expected to be clear by 1st April 2011. this means that there will be locomotive changes at Pickering (relieving loco).

The pictures RMWeb are pretty well up to date but I will attempt to attach a couple from yesterday.

Steven

18. Bean-counter

Latpest update on progress on the roof at Pickering. As previously advised, trains will be worked into Pickering by 1 loco and back out by another. 2 Whitby locos are available this weekend, so no loco changes at Grosmont on Whitby trains except 1st and last.

As of yesterday morning, a handful of bays of the roof to complete with timber, and 3/4 of the timber work on the clerestory complete. All work requiring the crash deck expected to be completed by Sunday. Scaffolding removal started at south end, last 1/3 can only be tackled once work complete on roof (excluding tiling).

Steven

19. 46118

There are a few images om rmweb taken inside the station on the 26th, as the crash deck was being removed, and it is quite surprising how light it appears underneath the new roof, even without any artificial lighting. The yellow fire-retardant paint on the underside of the wooden boarding also appears to reflect the light coming in through the clerestory. You also get an impression of just how slender the metal structure of the roof appears. Andrews who designed the original in the mid-19th Century must have been a master of stress calculations. Also I suppose he was working in iron rather than modern structural steel.

This roof has all the makings of being most impressive when complete, and totally transforming this station from what it was.

Steven, what arrangements are there for cleaning the glass in the clerestory each year? Can it be done from "on top" , ie are the louvred sections removable, or is it a "spiderman" job?

20. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
    Question; if new arrangements are in place so the train loco is normally "out in the open" after arrival; does this mean that all double heading of trains into Pickering has ended?

Just thinking with the 175th gala starting at the end of next month what the plan is?

Best Regards