If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

North Yorkshire Moors Railway General Discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by The Black Hat, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Brunswick Green 2

Brunswick Green 2 Member

Just looked in on Grosmont webcam to see the J27 coupling up to 29 ready for the 50th Anniversary train.

26D_M likes this.
  2. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A bit of a feeble non-event in comparison with what it could/should have been, imho. Too many of the management have no real feel for what has been achieved over the years, or for those who have achieved it.

3. Dunfanaghy Road

Dunfanaghy Road Well-Known Member

Retired
    Never a truer word ... ... ... :Banghead:
    It's no comfort to you, or to me, to know that you're not alone.
    Pat

stuarttrains, YorkyLad and 2392 like this.
  4. 61624

I probably sound like a disgruntled old so and so, but I fear the NYMR has lost its way On the one hand it seems to prefer being a safe haven for paid employees with railway enthusiast volunteers and their aspirations/preferences treated as a necessary inconveniences, whilst on the other hand they seem to be going all-out to pander to peripheral groups in the hope that this will bring in large sums of grant money. IMHO it's a misguided approach, in that such grant money (for lineside conservation, for example, is unlikely to help with the costs of running and maintaining the railway (the conservation work could continue if the railway closed) and may indeed add to them - the inability to use weedkiller sprayed on the trackbed will not help maintenance, for example! Nor is it particularly likely that those conservation volunteers will turn nto operational or maintenance volunteers in significant numbers. It's almost a though the railway is becoming a sideshow to other areas and I don't see that there is a long term future there.

2392 likes this.
  5. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

On the other hand I thought it was a really good low key celebration put on by those who have been closely involved with the operation for the last fifty years. It was great to see so many from both NELPG and NYMR who were involved with the original opening special still active today. No management orchestrated ballyhoo, just a pleasant gathering of volunteers past and present largely organised by themselves to rightly acknowledge the amazing achievement of the last half century. It was so much better with minimal razzmatazz and little input from senior management in my opinion.

Here at Goathland are three of todays participants who were on duty on 1/5/73, Driver Chris Cubitt, Signalman John Bruce and then Fireman, now Driver, Terry Newman. It would seem that progression through the ranks must be very slow as only Terry seems to have been promoted up the ladder since then:). IMG_7959 copy.jpg

Peter

Jark91, JBTEvans, ady and 17 others like this.
  6. Sidmouth4me

Sidmouth4me Member

Retired
    Good to see five engines in steam today (J27, 29, Repton, Eric and S15).

Woolley likes this.
  7. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Was it supposed to be a big thing or a low key celebration today?

8. Woolley

Woolley Member

It was a good atmosphere there today we had no idea it was the 50th anniversary train until we got to goathland booking office but then was told all about it from that moment till the moment we left for home. Very enjoyable day and nice to see more steam locos out and about

9. Sidmouth4me

Sidmouth4me Member

Retired
    3BFAC4F8-CD38-43D4-9F9D-F464165FE8C8.jpeg
    Might have been a fairly low key event but all the trains seemed quite busy today, particularly the 12 noon ex Pickering and 14.10 ex. Whitby departures and on which I travelled, with both appearing 95% full at times and a considerable interchange at Goathland. Nice to see a good number of through passengers as well as those travelling to and from Goathland; from those wanting to travel on a heritage railway behind steam there and back; travelling from Pickering to visit Whitby, from Whitby to visit Pickering as well as those using the railway to just visit Goathland village or walk the rail-trail walk.

I do think the NYMR had it all today!

10. 61624

I agree with most of what you say but I still think that it is disappointing that the NYMR management could not find a way of marking this milestone in a less low key way. Isn't the railway supposed to be looking for ways to boost revenue? Shouldn't this have been a great opportunity to do so? It was a bank holiday (long) weekend after all.

YorkyLad and 2392 like this.
  11. unslet

unslet New Member

It was on the local news as well.

12. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    What were you expecting though some sort of gala? Whilst the WSR and MHR are at opposite ends of the country there are only so many enthusiasts to go around.
    Sometimes less is more especially in financially strapped times. 5 loco in steam as reported above does not make it sound like a normal day to me anyway.

unslet likes this.
  13. 61624

Actually, yes I would have expected at least a mini-gala, and something that paid tribute to not just the three singled out but also the hundreds of other volunteers, including quite a few others who have stayed working on the line since before the public opening and who are still there today.
    For most railways, the 50th anniversary of opening would not be a low key occasion!

Robert Heath No.6, 2392 and YorkyLad like this.
  14. Steamie Boxes

Steamie Boxes Member

Apprentice Enginner at NYMR
    IMG_20230504_113651.jpg IMG_20230504_132647.jpg 92134 has ventured out today for the first time after having winter maintenance, the keen eyed may notice that the loco has been turned to face Pickering

green five, alts1985, ykin01 and 4 others like this.
  15. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Nice to see that 92134 carries her Birkenhead shed code, although she's a lot cleaner now than when she was a 8H loco.

Bob.

weltrol and banburysaint like this.
  16. 61624

Some good news that seems to be emerging from the NYMR is that Standard tank 80136 has been donated by its owners to the Trust. It still has three years left on its current boiler ticket, so there is a chance we'll get to see both 80135 and 80136 in steam together.

Also, NER TO 945 has been outshopped in full NER livery but has now been moved to the carriage shed. It is hoped to have it on display alongside the Atkins Building for the summer. There's still quite a lot to do to finish it - particular steam heating remains to be fitted, which will require much of the interior to be stripped out, so it's some way off being finished. It is reported in the latest LNERCA Newsletter that it has been donated to the LNERCA, having previously been in the Association's care but owned by the NERCG. There's no indication yet of where it may enter service, though.

For pics, see:https://www.facebook.com/LNERCA

17. The Black Hat

The Black Hat Member

Defender of the Faith
    good news about 80136. I wonder if they fit the signalling gear to make it a Whitby engine as that sounds like a smart move to me...

18. MrDibbs

MrDibbs New Member

Whether they do or not (I don't believe it's a necceserily quick or cheap process), 80135 is planned to be fitted when it re-entes traffic, with electronic cubicles being included within what was the rear tank space beneath the bunker last I saw the loco.

19. 61624

Probably not the course of this boiler certificate, I suspect. It only has till early 2026 I think.

20. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend