If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

North Staffordshire 0-6-2T

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by Tim Light, Oct 28, 2016.

1. fergusmacg

fergusmacg Resident of Nat Pres

Design Engineer
    Just because it's called a 'National Museum' that does not equate it to being exclusively British - otherwise you would have practically empty the National Gallery of Art. The museum at Critch is also described as the National Tramway Museum, yet it's got many overseas trams, have they got it all wrong too? I think your flogging a dead horse there.

2. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It hasn't got rid of anything, the NSR loco is on loan to the Foxfield who will no doubt bring it back to life. Surely this is much better than not having it on view or just stuffed and mounted? I would like to see the Q1 go back to the Bluebell where it operated for some years.
    The NRM is, with one or two exceptions, unfortunately run by Civil Servants rather than railway historians and it shows. The last time I was there it had no railway atmosphere at all, that was probably lost when they converted what was a steam shed into a warehouse and now we have the proposed extension which looks like an out of town supermarket. Sorry for being so critical and I concede that the NRM is a world leader in transport museums, it's just the presentation could be so much better.

3. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Just to clarify, it's not on loan, it's no longer part of the national collection.

Reading General likes this.
  4. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    I didn't know that but it doesn't change my view, seen working on the Foxfield has got to be better than stuffed and mounted.

5. Avonside1563

Avonside1563 Well-Known Member

Bolton's Sidings, just behind the running shed!
    No it isn't on loan, ownership of NSR No.2 has indeed been ceded to The Foxfield Light Railway Trust from the National Railway Museum. Anthony Coulls did give the complete and lengthy process that the NRM has to follow to deaccession the locomotive in a post on a previous thread on this forum regarding this subject. That same post has been reproduced almost in its entirety in the latest Steam Railway (which seems to feel that genuine reporting consists of quoting selected posts from this forum). Suffice to say that there are a number of hoops that the NRM has to jump through before any item can be deaccessioned from the national collection however small or big that item is, that same process took nearly twelve months to complete and includes reviews by senior directors at the Science Museum. This process is not something the NRM enter into lightly.

6. Tim Light

Tim Light Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Can't argue with that logic. The way the NRM's mission statement is worded they can collect and display anything they like so long as it's railway-related.

Big-Boy anyone? TGV perhaps?

7. Peter Hall

Peter Hall Guest

I presume the carriage in question is BR Mark 1 CL 43046 http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=1935 Always helps to give a number so as to avoid subsequent confusion. On the presumption it is this I did have a discussion about its future earlier in the year as it was then being considered for de-accessioning. A couple of points discussed might help give an insight as to why vehicles are leaving the collection.

1) - Duplication. This internal layout of this carriage is very similar to that of 2 Hap DTCsoL 75395 which is also in the collection and currently the subject of extensive restoration work. They both are from the same era and tell the same story of commuting into London although type of propulsion is different.

2) - Are other examples preserved elsewhere and are these in better condition and safe for the foreseeable future. You only have to look to the North Norfolk Railway to find an answer. Their you will find 43041 from the same lot included in the project to have a set of such carriages to compare with the Quad-art from an earlier generation. Another six can be found around the country most of which are in near to original configuration and seeing use.

With regard to where de-accessioned vehicles are transferred. I am assured all options are explored and the one that is considered to give the vehicle the best possible future will usually be the beneficiary. Did anyone else actually express an interest in taking on this carriage?

8. fergusmacg

Design Engineer
    I'm sorry I burst your bubble, I think the covered accommodation issues never mind the costs would prevent a Big-Boy arriving any time soon!

9. Peter Hall

Peter Hall Guest

This comment often is made but they are what many visitors want to see and tell many other stories as well. The amount on display at York, now six, is less than once was the case and covers several eras, evolutions and designs. When it comes to de-accessions it can be argued that such carriages have suffered disproportionately, five have left or are in the process of leaving the collection. Because of the TLC given to such carriages they are often the best examples of construction methods of the time, many having seen little modification.

In comparison around eighteen carriages that conveyed passengers are on display at York dating from the era of the Liverpool & Manchester to a BR Mark II of the 1970's which gives a ratio of 4 to 1.

Wenlock likes this.
  10. Peter Hall

Peter Hall Guest

Already sort of got a TGV in the form of Eurostar Power Car 3308.

11. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Was anyone else actually made aware that it was available?

12. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    It was apparently on a list of items being disposed of, although how widely this was circulated I don't know.

Bob.

13. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

I wonder how many of the posts on here will be regurgitated in SR next month in order to illustrate that there is 'outrage' in the movement and thus conveniently support the writers long-standing agenda? Smile everyone

14. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

One lives in hope :D

15. fergusmacg

Design Engineer
    There is only 'outrage' from some - I think its both a good move for the NRM and the loco itself. . . . .

Wenlock likes this.
  16. Tim Light

I don't think anyone has expressed outrage. Challenging the NRM's logic and priorities is not the same as outrage.

I too think it's an excellent move for the loco. But it could have remained part of the National Collection.

17. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

Agreed. I think everyone has expressed delight that the loco's moved to a good home and is in with a chance of steaming again, just wondering why it had to be deaccessioned rather than just loaned to achieve the same result.

18. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

Wenlock likes this.
  19. Tim Light

20. fergusmacg

Design Engineer
    Why? It's gone to a registered charity, the NRM appear to have gone through all the hoops to ensure its long term well-being, why does it have to remain as part of the national collection when they can well do without the management responsibilities that entails at the mo.

Johnb likes this.