If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

News from The Talyllyn

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by ellisteph12, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Wagoniester

Wagoniester Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The lovely thing about the TR is we can look like other railways too if we try.
    Afternoon lineup yesterday:
    Corris railway (No.3 and saloon);
    Glyn Valley Tramway (No. 7 - the most GVT looking loco we have - plus coach);
    Talyllyn Railway (No.2 and original coaches).

20230702_155409.jpg

silversteellady, P-J, Mrcow and 16 others like this.
  2. John Williams

John Williams New Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    And, perhaps, look like yet another railway;

andrewshimmin likes this.
  3. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

We had a great trip yesterday Dolgoch to Nant Gwernol and back
    Weather was, frankly, appalling, but nothing could dampen the TR atmosphere.
    As on every previous visit every TR volunteer and team member was friendly and helpful and welcoming.
    Really loved seeing Ty Dwr restored.
    Also great to see No 2 back in proper TR green . I'd have them all green if I could!
    What a special place.

The heavy rain these last few days meant Dolgoch Falls was incredibly impressive.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

4. Phil_Guard

Phil_Guard Member

Hi all,

Some details of the upcoming Autumn Diesel Day at the Talyllyn, which is happening on October 14th...

A running day for No.9 "Alf", supported by Baguley No.12 "St Cadfan" and visiting battery loco No.12 "Aberllefenni". Highlights include:

- "Alf's Adventure": a special non-stop run over the length of the line with No.9 (first time ever), departing Wharf at 1100
    - A special 'feeder' service from Abergynolwyn (depart 10.00) with No.12, to bring passengers to Wharf in time for the non-stop
    - "Y Tren Mawr" (The Big Train): a heavy mixed train for No.9, with two sets combined (standard bogie set, plus heavy engineering wagons and brake on the rear to form a heavy mixed train). 1520 ex Wharf, with the train returning in two portions.
    - Visiting battery loco No.9 "Aberllefenni" (from Corris) giving short passenger rides at Wharf, hauling "Toby". There will be a small additional charge for this. The loco recently worked demonstration runs/shunting etc at our Heritage Weekend: this will be the only time that the loco gives rides at the TR, before it returns to Corris on October 16th.
    - Rover tickets available: ride up and down all day! (Also valid on the steam services, operating to the normal Lilac timetable paths).
    - Cafes open at both ends of the line
    - Note that No.5 "Midlander" and No.11 "Trecwn" are both currently unavailable for traffic, and won't be part of this event.

Timetable and details here: https://www.talyllyn.co.uk/events/autumn-diesel-day/

If you have any questions, please do ask. Looking forward to seeing some of you at the TR on October 14th.

Diolch,

Phil.

John Williams and Wagoniester like this.
  5. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Not a TR member nor do I have any association with it any more but I do think the proverbial cap should be doffed to this bloke…

Nice one Sir :)

Chris86, Hando, acorb and 5 others like this.
  6. John Williams

John Williams New Member

Retired
    From the TR Facebook page -

"We are so delighted to announce that The Tracksiders have won Team of the Year at the 2024 Heritage Railway Association Awards!"

With concern about enlisting volunteers to take heritage railways into the ever uncertain future, this seems quite encouraging.

Hando, ragl, 3ABescot and 1 other person like this.
  7. Wagoniester

Wagoniester Member

Appeared in Heritage Railway mag, now also confirmed on the TR's website: Falcon No.10 is visiting the TR during July, but not before No. 3 travels over to the Corris for June which will mean Maespoeth shed will house two operational Falcons for the first time in over 100 years!

A gala day is planned at Corris for June 15th which should hopefully have all three engines running. No. 10 will appear at the TR's Anything Goes gala first weekend of July (in conjunction with the always-popular beer festival). The Sunday of AG will also see a recreation of the 1974 AGM train which combined two carriage sets to form a 12 coach train led by Nos. 1 and 2 - something which I don't think has been done since.

https://www.talyllyn.co.uk/events/anything-goes-gala/

Hando, MuzTrem, ykin01 and 3 others like this.
  8. Wagoniester

Wagoniester Member

It's been a while since this sight has last been enjoyed: 1-2-3 at Wharf for today's 75 Appeal launch.

20240322_110954.jpg

9. SG-Canada

SG-Canada Member

Land Use Planner
    We had planned on stopping to at least see a service train return, and visit the gift shop, but timing meant we arrived just before 2pm and were able to take the last train of the day up the line and back. Wonderful trip, nice to say I’ve been to where preservation and volunteer run railways started now.

Cheers

Stephen

Attached Files:

10. SG-Canada

SG-Canada Member

Land Use Planner
    Slowly continuing to write up more detailed blog posts on our trip around Wales and the midlands.

Our Talyllyn trip was a bonus where I didn’t expect we’d have time for a ride. Can’t wait to come back and spend more time at the railway on a future trip.

https://sjgardiner.wordpress.com/20...-railways-and-a-ride-on-the-talyllyn-railway/

Enjoy,

Stephen

ilvaporista and mdewell like this.
  11. Wagoniester

Wagoniester Member

This weekend coming is the 'Anything Goes' gala (plus Beer Festival) with five in steam (1, 2, 3, 7 + No. 10 from the Corris) and all available diesels out. Timetable currently going through housekeeping/formatting and should be up shortly; it's later than had hoped as we've faced a number of issues/alterations out of our control that have meant changes were needed.

The two Falcons will double head on Saturday, with a 'new builds' double header on Sunday featuring 7 + 10. Evening cavalcade at Wharf on Saturday from 5pm, then a loco parade at Abergynolwyn Sunday from about 3.30pm. Sunday morning also sees the 1974 AGM train recreation with 1+2 working a double length set from Pendre to Abergynolwyn (banked by No. 7) where the train splits.

https://www.talyllyn.co.uk/events/anything-goes-gala/

Also on Monday July 8th there will be a photo charter with the two Falcons that will stop for shots at some spots not normally accessible to the general public. Still spaces available on this and should be a good leisurely evening out with the two locos (3 on TR stock, 10 with Corris Saloon, brake and two wagons.)

https://www.talyllyn.co.uk/events/falcons-fly-again/

mdewell and black5 like this.
  12. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre

Video from the Saturday of Talyllyn's Anything Goes Gala, with double headed Falcons, Steam hauled 'Engineers' Train, Diesel action and cavalcade featuring in a day of mixed weather.

13. ykin01

ykin01 Member

Some photos just posted into a Facebook Group show No. 6 Douglas has moved to the Severn Valley Railway to be on Display in the Engine House at Highley. Post says Douglas will be there until November.

14. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    Video of Corris Number 10 alongside Talyllyn 1, 3, 5, 7 and 9 during the Awdry Extravaganza yesterday.

silversteellady, bluetrain and ragl like this.