If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

New Type Air Pump.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by buseng, Aug 31, 2012.

1. fish7373

fish7373 Member

tube lines Northfields railway depot Piccadilly li
    Hydrovane compressors would be the way if this was to ever become a reality. not so we had some fitted to 73 tube stock they were no good all ways leaking oil eventualy we got rid of them fish7373 81c

2. BR8P

BR8P New Member

No. I'm laughing at how you can even make the comparison. Mechanically, the turbo on your car works differently to a vane compressor, so heat would be a problem regardless of whether synthetic oil is providing the lubrication or not. Even the oil coursing through your Saab turbos journals and engine block requires a degree of cooling.

Although as I did say earlier, it is possible. But not without some investment and I doubt many of the loco owning group's would be willing as the compressors that are already in use are, regardless of the few failures that are encountered, pretty well proven not to mention that they are pretty simple to maintain and repair. Money is better spent keeping an engine running rather then trying to reinvent the wheel.

If you still think differently, perhaps you should be the one to prove this concept or go back to playing with your Saab ;)

Back to the drawing board then. Oh well...

3. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I've had plenty of Saab Turbo's too, and grand fun they were. However, the turbo only produces about 1.4 barg, even spinning as it does at a gazzilion rpm. Really it's not much more than a super-fan in compressor terms, which is fine for the job it does, but not much use when you want 6 barg or more.

4. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Retired
    BR8P

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Sheff

I appreciate what you say my question was to adress the problem of the size of the existing pumps in tight applications only.

The original type of pumps I agree fit into the larger engines without too much problem.

I was just wondering wether something more discreet could be utilised where space is at a premium.

Cheers Dave

5. Lplus

Lplus Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    They're still increadibly heavy. A lighter unit would be a worthwhile idea, even if it were the same size.