If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

New Issue (out 10th April) The one with 3 A4's on the front!

Discussion in 'Heritage Railway' started by green five, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

http://www.railroadmichigan.com/boynecity.html

Some excellent pics on here!

2. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

Since Tralee & Dingle 5T was returned to Ireland, is the Cavan & Leitrim 4-4-0T Lady Edith now the only Irish 3' gauge loco in North America?

Cliff Thomas's book on Quarry Hunslets has a pretty comprehensive investigation of the Penryhn and Dinorwic locos across the pond at the time of publication, and there aren't many mysteries left (isn't Nesta the main one?), one having been resolved with the repatriation of Edward Sholto. The whereabouts of the Penrhyn Avonsides and Barclays also seem to be pretty much known.

There's also the 18" gauge Hunslet 0-4-0WT Gwen (stablemate and near-twin of Jack), which has been restored in Los Angeles. The Southam Peckett 0-6-0ST Liassic and a Kerr Stuart Wren are in the same location in Canada as a couple of the Dinorwic Hunslets.

3. Hunslets Finest

4. David

David Member

water meter reader
    Don't forget A1 Terrrier Waddon is in Canada.

5. beetlejuice

beetlejuice Well-Known Member

Student with 2 part time jobs, Windsurfing coach a
    I have to say that David Wilcocks bit was very good, even if he did waffle on....

However on a different note...

Does anyone acctually proof read the magazine before it goes out?? Because there are so many typos and grammitical errors that its awful. I think they also thought that the printers would have it out on monday because it says that 45407 has already run on the North Briton!

I completly skipped the editorial after I saw the same lines mentioned again...I do realise that the SevernVR was flooded very badly and compared to other journals you have only just been able to put your stories out about it but this is another editiorial about it. Since the line got flooded in July(?) last year it must have been every editorial a mention of the SVR. Now I don't mind two or three as the flood happening and the reopening were very big stories but the over months probably could have had something else. From a casual reader( In its current state I'd never subscribe to HR) it gets repetitive and dull, certainnly doesn't make you want to buy another issue in the near future.

6. Leander's Shovel

Leander's Shovel Member

Scribe
    Best issue of HR I've ever read. 116 pages and a corking cover. Looks like someone's actually designed it this time. Loads of interest and a decent poster. I'll have to make sure our next one is even better. Congratulations to all at our erstwhile competitor.

7. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

I tried to buy this edition in WH Smith in Coventry this afternoon to discover they didn't have any, is it just a local issue of this particular store?

8. daveb

daveb Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Recently I've found it difficult to get during the first week after publication. I tried to get one from WHS in Gloucester last Saturday (12th). None to be had.

I eventually managed to get a copy last night. At first sight it looks to be a good 'un.

9. southyorkshireman

southyorkshireman Resident of Nat Pres

Rotherham 41D or Metropolitan Railway boardroom
    Finally finished reading through this month's mag and definitely a good 'un. Might not agree with everything said in it but it has generated things to think about

=D>

10. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    I hold my hand up - this is my mistake cos I do get confused between Weardale and Wensleydale Railways; I think it's an age thing but I ain't getting any younger so I have to try harder not to make mistakes - Sorry !

11. Hunslets Finest

None in WH Smiths in Bath but in independents for a week. Is it no longer on their list?

12. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Still not in Smiths today in Coventry, have Smiths and HR fallen out? ;-)

13. hughesfowler

hughesfowler Member

A very good Issue indeed, very rare I buy it but bought this one, However when are hr going to get the reproduction of photographs right, have spoken to Fred and Brian about this but it never gets any better overall. Pictures seem to come out like paintings, very bad, Robin over to you on that one. If the repro was spot on every time would buy every month but if not will only buy when it is agood read.

Nigel valentine

14. halothewynd

halothewynd New Member

I bought it for the first time last month given some of the comments and as a read I thought it was quite decent but as you say the reproduction quality of a few pictures was shocking.

15. David

David Member

water meter reader
    Yes have to agree with the comments re: reproduction of photos. The shot of Rood Aston Hall in the Mainline section looks a bit blurred and in the past we've had many a cover shot blurred or grainy, the cover shots of Clan Line and 71000 spring to mind. That apart certainly this month's issue was very good with the 3 A4's lined-up together, but HR definately needs to sort out it's repro. photos.

16. Roastbeef4t

Roastbeef4t New Member

I thought the centre spread shot of 4771 was outstanding, as were the ones in the 'Streaking Ahead - and the rest!' article.

Jerry

17. southernman

southernman Well-Known Member

Personally the center spread shot wasn't that great. with the exhaust covering 1/2 of the train. On the same topic of the V2 with the teak set the photo on p44, bottom left, despite having a bright green engine the train sort of disappears into the surrounding foliage. With an orange/ brown vegetation and then a Orange/ Brown train.
    Also the photo on p45. There surely has to be a better photo of the V2 at Goathland???

18. hughesfowler

hughesfowler Member

gone back to this to see the responses, suprised no reply from someone at hr regarding the repro, perhaps the next issue will blow us away!

19. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

A lot of things in Canada don't open until Victoria day no matter what the weather, before or after..

On the subject of British Engines in North America, some of the narrow gauge steam engines from the smelting work at Avonmouth were exported to Canada but there seems to be no record of where they are now.