If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

New Build Traction Engine

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by GWR4707, Nov 13, 2018.

1. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-en...sman-steam-engine-preparing-for-300-mile-tour

2. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

Nice but not a new build. The DVLA lists this engine as built 1925 even though date of first registration is in 2017 (but the same DVLA search has tax due 1998, seems odd but maybe registration lapsed and was re-applied for). The Traction Engine Register (£9 well spent) lists it as Fowler 16263 with no date (the engines near it on the list are from late 1924 / early 1925, it looks as if Fowler delivered engines out of strict numerical sequence though).

3. Andy Williams

Andy Williams Member

Design Engineer
    Yes I am an active volunteer
  4. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

That was my interpretation also, although it all gets rather confused when it suggests that the original hauled parts of Titanic, yet was only built in 1926?

5. Andy Williams

Andy Williams Member

Design Engineer
    I presume they meant that Fowler road locomotives similar to the original design hauled parts for Titanic. The basic design was quite long-lived, although 'Talisman' represents one of the later variants.

6. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

The original Talisman was built in 1925 so , as posted above, the comment about hauling bits of the Titanic is just journalistic bo!!ocks. When owned by Pickfords it did. however, haul parts of other ships for Harland & Wolff's in Liverpool. When Pickford's sold the engine it wasn't scrapped but cut down for steam sterilizing (a not uncommon use for old traction engines). What remained to be rescued, some of which has been eventually incorporated into the 'new' Talisman, was the boiler, boiler fittings, front axle and wheels and some of the spring gear.
    So is it a 'rebuild' or a 'new build'? I can think of several projects including a steam wagon and a spitfire that started with a lot less! Maybe that's a discussion for a different time and place. Best of luck to Alex, Jack and the rest of the team.
    Ray.

pmh_74 likes this.
  7. Johann Marsbar

Johann Marsbar Well-Known Member

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  8. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

As far as I'm concerned if it carries the ID and significant parts of the original it's a rebuild. I'm not sure where you'd draw the line but boiler, front axle and wheels is a pretty big chunk of a traction engine. I've also seen the steam wagon which was rebuilt from not much more than a cylinder block, and that is still claimed as a restoration (it's very nice too).