If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

National Preservation Diesel moment of the year 2010

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Pete Thornhill, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

As the year draws to a close I thought it would be nice to see what is the forums Diesel moment of the year. Lets get those nominations in now and I will run a poll with the shortlisted ones!
    So which moment do you think should be moment of the year and why. I will reveal mine later!

2. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

Are we only considering preserved diesels, as this is NatPres?

3. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

For now both are welcome depending on the nominations really!!! As the title suggests really diesel moment of the year!

4. planetpower

planetpower Member

nowt
    MSC 4002 Back In traffic after 3 years on the sideline, the huge silencer was remove various other tasks done. Repainted in to MSC green and entered traffic sounding like a 37/9.

5. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

I think the highlight for me was 37425 working ballast trains on the West Highland line in May. To see a large logo tractor back on a freight in the highlands was pretty special, but then for the loco to be essentially turned off on arrival back at Mossend and DBS to throw the towel in on their 37s made it even more of a memorable event, if not exactly for the right reasons. Oh, and the weather that day couldn't have been any better :)

Other highlights for me have been various runs with the Deltic, mainline tours that utilise the Cargo-D stock with appropriate locos, and the largely unsuccessful but entertaining DRS intermodal trials with 37s and 57s.

6. brmp201

brmp201 Member

IT Director
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Surely it has to be the first start up of the class 15? Such a rare beast, plus it's taken a long time to get this far, so great to see real progress.

7. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

Class 15 start up for me too, same reasons.

Looking forward to the Co-Bo's turn now :D

8. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

If we're talking all diesels, I'd say 20304 working from Yarmouth on service trains - who honestly would've guessed a single 20 would work timetabled passenger trains out of Yarmouth in 2010?!

In preservation, I suppose I'd go for the 15 as well.

9. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Some more (37 themed) ideas:

-The first "original" bodied Class 37 to be recreated in preservation, 6940 at Llangollen.
    -The first mainline diesel up the 1-in-45 Cauldon Branch (37075) which could be heard over the hills three miles away!

10. 7911

7911 New Member

Not that I think it'll win, but there have been a few Lazarusesque returns by non-preserved engines of late - 60007 is to have a full overhaul after 2 years out of service and I think a 37 was brought back after even longer on the sidelines.

11. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    For me it was on a day which proved to be the highlight and lowest point all within 24 hours. 674 miles behind Western Champion from Westbury to Carlisle and back, lots of very fast running,the climb of Shap after being checked at Tebay by a coal train,the run down the Settle and Carlisle, the climb to Sough Summit,blasting through Manchester Oxford Rd, more fast running down the West Coast Main Line.
    The down side was a text to say an engine had put a leg out of bed at Dilton Marsh on the ECS run to Eastliegh. Such a shame after a great day.

I look forward to having 1015 back soon in top form.

12. Coboman

Coboman Member

D9531 will be next, we'er planning to start it early next year with a return to traffic sometime before the summer. I'd expect it will be a couple of years before the cobo starts due to the fact that its engine needs a complete rebuild, but we do have all the parts we need to do this.
    Jim