If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Narrow Gauge Entries and Exits 2022

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by bantamd14, Dec 27, 2021.

1. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Definitely like to see EoM back at some point. Names? TBH, I'm sanguine, though the second? third? first? Mountaineer thing could rapidy get mighty confusing!

andrewshimmin likes this.
  2. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

The question was built *in*, not *for*.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    There's and easy solution to that....restore it to WW1 condition and use its WDLR number 1265 (puts tin had on!).
    Seriously though Mountaineer, as is, doesn't really have a role on the present day FR as its slot has been filled by Lyd and to some extent by Welsh Pony. As a WW1 memorial engine it would have its own USP for use on lighter trains and special events over the WHR. I appreciate that a lot of Nat.Pres. members fondly remember 1265 in its modified guise resulting from the necessity for it to do things for which it was never designed. I can't help feeling that if one took a Castle or A4 and modified it so far from its original guise there would be an outcry - or is it O.K. to do this to n.g. locos?
    Ray.

Mrcow likes this.
  4. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    Out of interest, do you know if there's any likelihood of the Decauville "Barbouiller" returning to service in the near future?

5. 30854

Retired
    So it was, which is odd as I was thinking specifically in terms of 'not for export to some far flung destination'. In that category, there were two 3ft gauge 4-6-2+2-6-4 Garratts for FC Dorada, Colombia, built by BP in 1938, though quite what quirk of history resulted in 3ft gauge lines there is unknown to me. AFAIK (unless there's been any recent culling) there are still over 1600 miles of narrow gauge in operation in that country.

6. 30854

Retired
    That one is shown on Amberley's website as being privately owned. I was lucky enough to see it in steam around 30 years ago. A tidy and effective little loco.