If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Narrow Gauge Diesels

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by MuzTrem, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Mrcow

Mrcow Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    That is a surprise! Especially when they have the new ones coming too. I love the shrink standard gauge look GE went for with the 91s and MLW went for with both those and the later ones with the safety cab.

2. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

Well, the SMR have gone for a new-build hybrid design.

https://www.railwaygazette.com/uk/s...y-of-diesel-battery-locomotives/56892.article

It makes sense to use regenerative braking to recharge the batteries on the way down. That should save them money on fuel (remember they are commercial and not a heritage charity).

The locos themselves are really quite ugly; looks like they've taken a modular design and either (1) removed one of the cabs from it or (2) used one modular power pack instead of two, but rather than shortening the chassis they've just left a space where the 2nd cab/power pack would have been.

I think they may need a new name for their "traditional diesel service" as well. Presumably they have an option to buy more of them once they've got sufficient funding and will withdraw the Hunslet diesels.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    MuzTrem likes this.
  3. bantamd14

bantamd14 New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    There is method in their madness, the '2nd cab' area is for a removable 'pod' either for a maintenance one or a passenger variant. Good business sense, in that I should imagine some 'cranks' would pay an even bigger premium to go up the mountain on the loco!

MuzTrem likes this.
  4. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    At least the space on the loco will help those in the carriage get a better forward view?