If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mystery Location.

Discussion in 'Photography' started by 45669, Aug 2, 2020.

1. 45669

45669 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Many, many thanks for all the replies. I think that we've cracked it between us!

I've recently started to scan the pictures in a slide box dated 1964 / 1965. There are around 200 slides in the box, and very few of them have anything written on the slide mounts...

2. pedantic_p

pedantic_p New Member

It's probably not the case but at Newton Heath when an engine came on the shed for disposing, if it was due a washout the phrase used by the Deputy Foreman was "all out washout" , not that it was chalked onto the smokebox but I suppose that there could be a couple of reasons for that to be the reason.
    I was only a passed cleaner at that date so I cannot remember any threat of industrial action at that time.

3. 45669

Retired
    Well that's an interesting thought. But if it referred to the date of the next boiler washout, it wouldn't still be there in February or March 1965. Or would it!

Could there have been a local dispute that only affected Willesden MPD?

I wonder whether England were playing cricket in Australia and the inscription was to celebrate the Aussies being all out?!

4. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Great to see the collective knowledge of NP members solving a location problem.

68923 likes this.
  5. 46203

46203 Member

It was a good idea to post the slides onto NP - the OP got his answer. I too have been spending the lockdown period going through my 1960s stuff and have a small number of missing locations. If 45669 doesn't mind the copy, I will post them via a separate thread to see if anyone can help.

6. 45669

Retired
    No, of course not. I'm sure that we'd all be pleased to see them. Do you you put them on Flickr or any of the other photo sharing sites?

7. 45669

Retired
    It was a joint effort with suggestions and input from folks on a couple of other forums as well as this one. NP was the one that led the way though!

8. 45669

Retired
    I've re-scanned the pictures at a higher resolution which I hope has improved them; clicking on the pictures at the start of this thread will take you to the revised version.