If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

My "New Look" website - A Portrait of Steam

Discussion in 'Links' started by Phil Jones, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Phil Jones

Phil Jones Member

Third yr Psy Uni Student
    As some of you may or may not be aware, over the last couple of weeks, I have been working on a “new look” website, which has replaced my old “fotopic site”. With this new site, I have more control over things such as “right clicking” which will hopefully prevent organisations “stealing” images (which is so easy to do with fotopic). As I have just added the final touch today, I feel it is now at a standard which is suitable for viewing. As always, any comments good or bad are most welcome.

Kind Regards, Phil

http://www.aportraitofsteam.com/

2. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Excellent site Phil. You have a great eye for railway photography and your work will go from strength to strength. Well done you !

3. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

I must agree with John's post above and the write ups for the photographs are also excellent and very informative. Well done Phil!

Neil.

4. BillR

BillR Well-Known Member

indeed a very nice site and something to read as well, but you can't stop the right clicking !

As Photium say....
    Well with Firefox, Safari & Opera I can save your images, if I so wanted to, so their "built-in protection systems" only seem to work with IE.
    I suggest you use that watermarking system, it is the only real way of copyrighting your images.

5. NDTSDN

NDTSDN Part of the furniture

I agree it is a very nice website.

It is very well presented. Black as the background is the only colour you need as it shows off the images to their absolute best.

On the negative, I can confirm your images can be right-clicked. Although I mainly use IE7, I also have the above web browsers on my PC just to check the websites I have built still work on them. I dont know whether the new Google browser allows right clicking - I haven't downloaded this browser yet.

Watermarking is really the best solution. Hope it wont take too long to add this or another safeguard.

6. Phil Jones

Phil Jones Member

Third yr Psy Uni Student
    Thank you Bill / NDTSDN for bringing this to my attention. I will look into it immediately. Thanks again,
    Phil

7. Mighty Mogul

Mighty Mogul Well-Known Member

Artist
    Great website Phil. Very smart design and a well selected set of images (I can't stand the 'memory card dump' websites that you see all too often!). All the photos here a top notch - particularly like the going away shot of 76079 and 45407 and the King's headlamp. Lovely stuff!

8. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Some excellent pictures there - a fair few I recognise from the photo challenge.

9. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    A truely excellent website you have there Phil. There are some really fantastic photographs you have, especially those you have on steam on the main line.

Well done matey. :smt038

10. jon5051

jon5051 Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Excellent website, can I ask what programme you made it with??