If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Moorlands and City Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Guest, Oct 14, 2009.

1. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    Hey Coboman don't tell me that a little walk with a key hammer tired a youngster like yourself out. When we walk we walk not stopping every 1/2 mile.

2. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

I miss coming down. But should get a new car in the next week or so, so hopefully by mid oct ill be back.

3. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Anyone made it past Bridge 5 without slipping yet? This seems to be the challenge as there is a rather tight curve with a check rail just before it and myself and a few others noticed on the first test even the 8F slipped with 4 when the first coach got onto the check rail.

4. tfftfftff86

tfftfftff86 Member

The issue of leaf fall is certainly relevant, as the leaves are still green now and will be falling this month and possibly into November. I suppose, though, that the same commercial interests which made the top-notch tamping necessary, and got it done promptly, will fund more thorough vegetation clearing soon. And as all trains at the re-opening gala are likely to be topped and tailed, hopefully a "slipfest" can be avoided.

But despite any issues, what an exciting prospect this line is! Over the years it'll offer a chance to see all kinds of locos hard at work for several miles.

5. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

Here the Pics from Sunday of the 8F going up the bank in the evening on the 3rd October 2010...http://mcrsphotos.fotopic.net/c1903470.html. Have got some Pics from Monday 4th October 2010 from D Gibson if anyone wants to see them then I will put them up or E-mail them to you. Will put more pics up when the 8F is out again on the MCR line around October :)

6. Coboman

Coboman Member

There aren't any check rails at bridge 5.....I'm sure! I certainly didn't see one when I did a trackwalk yesterday!

7. Coboman

Coboman Member

Awwwwwww it didn't tire me out! I must have wrenched something in my elbow turning all those keys the right way round, and it started hurting real bad last night.....

8. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Girls stuff - nice walk in the country and finished by lunch:)

You ought to have been ploughing ballast by hand with us, followed by a nice spot of removing foot long bolts out of point crank benches down a black hole for the S&T dept.

9. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    I thought there was. Apologies if I've got it wrong but thought there was one just before bridge 5 coming from Leekbrook. Has been over 2months since I walked up the line though! Still a challenge as it's one of the tighter curves on the line, and 8624 slipped on both occasions she went up on Sunday.

10. Coboman

Coboman Member

There might well have been on 2 months ago! :lol:

11. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    Coboman is right the rail for 1/4 mile before to just after the bridge is all elastic spike and plates definitely no check plates. The curve certainly is tight, all part of the fun that is the Cauldon line. Hey Sheff it was almost 3 O'clock when we came upon your gang leaning on their shovels fully fed with lunch, ours was still down Cheddleton then. I suppose you lot did a reasonable job with the packing, see you next week.

12. ADBurgess1992

ADBurgess1992 New Member

13. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    That is amazing footage, any more where it came from?!?

I never realised that such a substantial signal box existed up there, presumably the foundations should remain...somewhere.

14. ianh

ianh Member

Farmer -
    And looking at the last shots that were presumably at leekbrook -- lots of sidings and a platform on the stoke line..... is that still in the overgrowth...

15. Coboman

Coboman Member

All the sidings have gone. no idea about the platform though, It might well have been ripped out when the site was modified when the Churnet line was closed as a through route.

16. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    On the film is there a gap between the road and embankment near Bradnop? I don't recall seeing one or tell wether it was bridge 8,9 or10 I will have to check it out on Wednesday. It looks like some more key changing then.

17. ADBurgess1992

ADBurgess1992 New Member

Im not quite sure what is going on with the stoke line all i know is a few linside huts remain and that all the bridges have been checked and the lines are back in at stoke station.

where as leekbrook apart from one siding where the 37/ballast wagons sit there is nothing there i havent really gone up the lines personally myself just been around them and told about them by people i know.

The platform is sorta there at leekbrook it got cleaned up last year but its not used or anything like that however would be cool to see if be usable for the DMU in the future.

and when it comes to the footage there proberly is quite abit somewhere its just finding it and converting it because i remember talking with me dad how they chased 2 37's filming from the car on the road towards cauldon and what not but i dont know i will have to find out.

18. nigelss

nigelss Member

19. ADBurgess1992

ADBurgess1992 New Member

not sure to be honest ill ask me dad when he gets back from work

but im guessing think it was on a projector then filmed the projection then converted from tape.

like i say im not sure but thats the only way i can think off

20. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    See the galas and events forum for some 37 thrash up the Cauldon line.