If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Moorlands and City Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Guest, Oct 14, 2009.

1. SteveTheBoater

SteveTheBoater New Member

IT consultant / canals volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Indeed so :)

2. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    I suppose you're right but with my sensitive nature I'm not used to upsetting folk.

3. N.StaffsNeil

N.StaffsNeil New Member

But of course:wink:

4. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    As Alton Towers is only an extra 10/15min drive, can't see it being used as a P&R esp as the train would take nearly a hour extra.
    Be more advantage for use in bringing people TO Waterhouses from Stoke/Leek for the Manifold trail which is hugely popular particularly in the summer.

5. desperado

desperado Member

I thought there's also an advantage in having a station at the end of the line - that you count as public transport and not an amusement ride and don't have to pay VAT?

6. Morris Minor

Morris Minor New Member

Not sure
    Can we just concentrate on getting to Endon.
    Followed by Stoke, then Leek.

Then do what you want.

Waterhouses and Alton Towers, dream on

7. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Werent they supposed to be in Stoke by 2012 ?

8. desperado

desperado Member

If Waterhouses is necessary for the proposed freight traffic that is a major justification for all of this then surely the order would have to be 1) stoke, 2) waterhouses, 3) anything else.

9. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    See you on the track gang next Sunday and/or Wednesday.

10. Jark91

Jark91 Member

I don't see any reason for this attitude. Getting to Alton in the short term is one of their main objectives and it only involves rebuilding a couple of miles of track on a well preserved trackbed.

11. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    Only!

If only it was that simple. The trackbed is owned by the council, and so access will need to be approved before we can even think about laying track but that requires the aquisition of a Transport & Works Order before we start anything.

Add to that, the local "Friends of the Churnet Valley" Group are doing their best to stop the railway returning as they don't want to lose their dog walking route and are scared the trains will return Oakamoor to 'Smokey Oaky' (plus other sensationalised affects). There will be an uphill battle to complete this section, and even though I'm optomistic for Greg/David etc I can't see Alton Towers being completed in the short term.

Stoke is obviously the most important re-opening, with the aim being for MCR to re-open this in 2013 once CVR have completed the Endon re-opening from Leek Brook (planned to be finished in the autumn I believe).

After this personally I'd like to see Leek tackled as it would be of more beneficial to CVR, but reading all the various press releases MCR seem to be planing to start on Alton Towers before Leek.

Have to wait and see what happens!

12. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    The Waterhouses extension isn't confirmed, just the option hasn't been ruled out.

13. Morris Minor

Morris Minor New Member

Not sure
    I think some people look at this whole project through rose coloured glasses.
    One main item preventing all this work is that root of all evil.
    MONEY !!!!!!

14. Jark91

Jark91 Member

Perhaps 'only' was a bad choice of word but my point was that in contrast with many extensions on preserved railways there are less hurdles to overcome - no major missing infrastructure or anything of that nature, nothing obstructing the trackbed, the station and platforms at Alton still in place etc.

15. lil Bear

Railway Technician
    At Oakamoor the old trackbed is used as an access to the car park, for the old road bridge has been removed. This will more than likely need replacing before any access to the current former rail bridge is granted.

There was a sewage mains across the trackbed somewhere, can't remember if this has been rectified or an agreement made at least.

Alton Towers is owned by the Landmark Trust as a holiday home, and so to gain access to this would require negotiating with them. There is also still an idea to build a new station about a mile further on that is closer to AT Theme Park, passing straight through the former station. A costly exercise though, and that's before they consider access to the park from any new station.

Lots of hurdles to jump and hoops to go through, and then there's the obvious one of raising all the money.

16. SteveTheBoater

SteveTheBoater New Member

IT consultant / canals volunteer
    The trackbed has a whole load of mains services under it (gas and sewage if I remember rightly but stand to be corrected) along much of the length from Oakamoor to Alton. The walking/riding route also needs to be accommodated, as does future restoration of the Uttoxeter Canal. All those things can be done but it's certainly not as simple as just relaying the track. Incidentally the route is owned by the County Council not Staffs Moorlands as implied above.

Have to admit I'm personally hoping for Stoke to happen first. Have very clear and fond memories of seeing double-headed steam-hauled services from Cauldon Lowe, from the back garden of my Mum's house, but can't remember when that would have been. Late 60's maybe? We'll definitely have a party in the back garden when the next one goes past!

17. Jonto

Jonto New Member

Hello!

Long time forum lurker here but after seeing some of the guys working today on the station at Endon, given that I've been following this project for sometime now I thought its about time I actually posted something!!

I'm not interested in the various politics which seem to afflict the project but all I want to say is that I think this is a great project which hopefully, when complete will have very positive affect on the area and the people that reside in this area.

I'd love to get involved in some capacity but children and work dictate that that isn't possible, but if someone wants to give me a shout when you are working on the line near my house (on the old Bullers site) I'd be more than happy to offer a few days labour and maybe I could even get my Mrs to bring down a couple of brews!

Anyway, it seems like the project is in good hands, and those good hands have great intentions.

Keep up the good/hard work and rest assured, once completed, it will be appreciated by all!

Regard
    Jonto

18. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Welcome Jonto! Thanks for your support, and glad to hear the Sunday Gang were hard at it, and not slacking on their sofas like us Wednesday boys.

Better invest in a bigger kettle, 'cos when the going gets tough, us p/way lads brew-up ;)

19. brmp201

brmp201 Member

IT Director
  20. kebab123

kebab123 New Member

Train Driver
    That's that know nowt Wendy Birks again, she tried that years ago as part of a campaign by the green party.