If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Moorlands and City Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Guest, Oct 14, 2009.

1. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    Well a change of scenery today,a good sunny day at Endon Station. It had been decided to expose all the sleepers and chairs to see what work was required before we could run into the station. Had a good turnout with 9 in the morning + 2 extra in the afternoon when they finished a job at Cheddleton. In doing the length of the platform and 2 panels it was found that approx 80 sleepers needed changing but only 4 chairs were broken.The sleepers will be done by the sleeper changer before ballasting and tamping can take place, A couple of before and after photos plus 2 of the gang.

Attached Files:

2. nigelss

nigelss Member

I'm not familiar with the layout at Endon. Will trains from Leekbrook have to cross the road to enter the station platform or do they reach the platform before the crossing?

Thanks,
    Nigel

3. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Endon Station is south of the crossing, so trains from Leekbrook must cross the road.

4. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    You may be interested in this:

Endon Signal Box Digram

Of course there are now no signals, box or up platform, and only a single line (the ex down line) running through, but it gives you an idea of what was/is there.

5. nigelss

nigelss Member

Thanks Sheff and M59137 for the information. Any idea when the sleeper changer will reach Endon? Sounds like it is going to be busy!

I read the ORR report on Network Rail's application to lease the (Stoke to Leekbrook) line to MCR railways for 150 years for a peppercorn rent yesterday. Fascinating stuff. I hadn't realised that one of the conditions was that once the line is restored any train operator can apply to use it and that several freight operators raised questions on that theme. Makes me wonder if MCR is going to do all the work to get the line reinstated and then have other freight operators undercut them on future freight contracts to Couldon Lowe, but then again I suppose MCR would make money from track access charges in that case.

There is more about the possibility (or not) of reinstating passenger services to Leek but you'll have to read that yourself. It also has a set of plans showing the land to be transferred to MCR. You can find it at MCR Cauldon Lowe, Stoke-On-Trent & Leekbrook Junction Page | Facebook in a box for Tuesday labelled "Rail Reg's, Cauldon Lowe, ORR". Many thanks to MCR, Cauldon Lowe, Stoke-On-Trent & Leekbrook Junction facebook group for posting it there!

PLEASE NOTE: The document is not dated so it should be viewed for historical interest only. If you pass it on to others please make this clear.

Best wishes,
    Nigel

6. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    I may be corrected on this, but I always imagined in my mind that the latter scenario (an already established freight operator paying to run on MCR's track in a similar fashion to Colas running onto the Weardale Railway) would always be the most cost effective (for MCR) strategy, therefore I would guess the more interest/competition between companies the better.

I remember reading some old closure/sale proposals from several years ago and there were objections from several freight companies who wanted the route to be strategically retained. I gather that this was one of the obstacles with the Churnet Valley extending to Leek (on its own) in the early 2000's, the fact that the heritage extension would have to "sever" this link at Leekbrook Junction.

7. daveb

daveb Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    That's interesting. How much double track was there going towards Leekbrook? Was it double track all the way?

8. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    From Stoke-on-Trent I think it was double until Milton Junction (3.5 miles) where the single track Biddulph branch curved off and the Leekbrook line itself also became single. The single line then ran a further 3 miles as far as Endon where it became double again to Leekbrook Junction (another 3.5 miles). So to answer your question yes it was double from Endon-Leekbrook.

9. daveb

daveb Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks for the info. I've seen bits of the line when on canal boat trips along the Caldon Canal and I'd assumed that it was single because that was what was left in the undergrowth. I'm certainly looking forward to being able to view the canal from the railway rather than vice versa.

10. PortRoadFan

PortRoadFan New Member

How much infrastructure is going to be installed/recreated at Endon? Will it need a passing loop and a 2nd platform once more, with signals? Also, is Stockton Brook station going to be re-opened, since it seems to have been a very picturesque location?

Chris

11. Sheff

The remaining buildings at both these locations are in private ownership so aren't like to see railway use in the near future for sure. As for new buildings and platforms etc I couldn't say, though a loop would certainly be useful if funds permit.

12. Just_Sayin

Just_Sayin New Member

Technician
    There was a post on the "Support the Plans for the Railway to be Re-Opened to Alton Towers (MCR)" facebook group made on 1st December 2011 following a meeting held in Leek with MCR Officials. I've gone back and found it;

Obviously timescales have lapsed, but I think we can let them all off. It's not exactly an easy project the guys are taking on here.

13. Sheff

... but that doesn't answer PortRoadFan's original question.

14. Just_Sayin

Just_Sayin New Member

Technician
    Does about Stockton Brook, as there is no mention of it in those notes. Agreed there no mention of a passing loop at Endon, but with the services planned above you would have to say the line will need such as I can't see both the Leek / Alton Towers / Cauldon services all managing to operate along a 10mile single line section without there being problems.

15. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

16. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    Another sunny day at Endon if fact too hot, dare I say, finished at 2-45 hot and bothered. Changed chairs, replaced keys and removed ,greased and replaced some fishplates which were a devil to get off. Good number of people came up to us to see how things were going and wished us well with the work on the line, which was nice to see. Just some photos of the work starting on the other side of the crossing at Endon

Attached Files:

17. kebab123

kebab123 New Member

Train Driver
    Nice pics of the work in progress p/wayman, on the first pic it looks as if people are still trespassing, as there appears to be a line of well trod grass, down the center of the track.

18. p/wayman

p/wayman Member

voulunteer on pway
    I'd not noticed this until you pointed it out so I don't think many people are trasspassing but they must climb over the gate. There is a single strand of barbed wire round the top bar,not to much of a deterent. Not seen anyone down the track the last 2 weeks we've been down.

19. kebab123

kebab123 New Member

Train Driver
    I was thinking that it could be those pesky people, who are trying to stop the railway, by still using the track for access. So they can say that no one is enforcing the law.

20. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

Saw 2 folk this evening on the line walking a dog towards Leekbrook from Endon Crossing... & 2 chavs walking down the line from Endon Stn towards Stoke.
    Had a quick ganders my self this evening after returning from Hanley, great progress from you p-way lot! Always doing a good job ;D

Quick photo from me: Endon (MCR) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    4mcr5.jpg