If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mod recruitment

Discussion in 'Forum Information' started by southyorkshireman, Feb 23, 2009.

1. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

To be fair they have few posts. one has 22

2. bhallett

bhallett Well-Known Member

Which one is that? Are you sure you are looking at posts or their age?

3. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Are you sure you haven't misread 221?

The new members of staff weren't picked merely on how many posts they had made, but on the relevant experience they bring to the team as outlined in their applications. We felt that these members were the best ones to take the forum on and improve it for everyone.

4. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Sorry my mistake it is 221

although Ann Mitchell has 64

I'm glad 5 were picked, should add some new ideas, variety to the forum

5. perhaps they should introduce themselves then seeing as they are quite new / lesser known and give a indication of thier visions for the forum

6. bhallett

bhallett Well-Known Member

Thanks for that.

Yes, Ann has only 64 posts, but if you look at them you will find a quality and depth that will help this forum. I look forward to Ann's input, which I am sure will move this forum forward.

Brian

7. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Crikey, give them time, they only took on their roles this afternoon! Plus there are other things to do such as learning what the various mod controls do and so on. I'm sure if they have a moment they will be more than happy to do so.

8. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    OK - I'll go first!

I've been involved with Embsay Steam Railway, National Railway Museum, Swindon Museums Service/"NRM on tour" etc. in the past.

In my proper job, I'm a web manager for a trade association and manage a similar discussion forum for over 1,000 members.

Looking after two young kids, I don't get out to railways as much as I'd like ... yet! But having mainline railtours running past the end of our garden in south London isn't so bad.

Richard

9. Ann Clark

Ann Clark Member

OK a bit about me before I turn in as I am early turn fireman at Swanage tomorrow. I have been involved with preserved railways for over 24 years. During this time I have been involved with Plym Valley (in its very early years), Bodmin & Wenford and Swanage Railways. I am currently a passed fireman at Swanage and one of the loco owners reps for 6695.

10. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I install Commercial and Domestic Oil Tanks all ov
    Hello I spose I'd better add a bit about me then I live in Torquay, and as such my local lines are the SDR (Who I volunteer for on Pway at the mo) and the PDSR, hence the reason mosty of my posts relate to those lines.

I have also visited at one stage or another the WSR, B&WR, Bluebell, Swanage (But only briefly) and have recently passed my driving test so am hoping to visit the G&WR, SVR and DFR later in the year if I get chance and work Permitting.

I better go now as am off for some Pway at Buckfastleigh to help get the line read for opening in 2 weeks time.

11. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

Hi and sorry I have only just got round to introducing myself in my new role!

As far as railway preservation is concerned I am quite a newcomer, around 8 years when time allows between work and family. My interests are mainly steam but I am interested in railways and their history and development in general. I also enjoy photography and videoing steam as well. I do some volunteering at the ELR when time allows but this has been pretty rare recently due to major changes and upheavals within my day job and not being sure whether we were going to emigrate to New Zealand this year but that is now on the backburner for the foreseeable future due to the changing economic climate and employment opportunities in New Zealand.
    I have had numerous jobs since leaving school 30 years ago from being a messenger on a national newspaper when I left school through farm labourer, gardener, groundsman for local authority parks dept, trackman for BR South Eastern Region in the late eighties, outreach worker working with drug users etc on the streets of Manchester, landscaper, groundworker for a tree surgery gang and presently I work in the social housing sector, not for local government I might add!
    I have met a number of the Nat Pres members on my travels and hope to meet many more as time goes on and I hope I become a useful member of the moderation team when I have a chance to work out what does what and updated myself on the rules again! If the forum happens to dissapear in the next couple of weeks it will probably be me pressing the wrong button somewhere #-o :smt100

Regards, Neil.

12. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Well hi there, i guess i'm the slowest to reply today, but i have been unashamably having fun wandering er... gaining useful moderator experience, up and down the SVR gala all day.

I'm John, 34 years old from manchester, grew up with my father who lived, slept and breathed steam, which meant my first 18 years i spent as an active volunteer every weeekend.

Now i am a "grown up" my job has the perk of global travel which I make full advantage of my weekend and whatever is my local railway on the day..

i can be found at many galas or often any thing that moves
    round London or in Poland...its only a matter of time before my hands get dirty again, but what i learnt as a child is etched to my brain..

Am planning to be at the WSR gala, followed by SSS at
    Llangollen and my usual trip to Wolsztyn..