If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Missing stock from Shildon

Discussion in 'National Railway Museum' started by Bestieboy, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Hi Guys (Anthony)
    I received a full report from here last week and a few items of stock were not found. Can anyone confirm if these are out of view to the general public or moved on elsewhere.
    2234 (45010) MR Steam Railmotor, Derby 1904, conv Officers' Saloon in 1907
    3171 4w Oil Tank
    499254 LMS 22t 4w 5pl Long Open
    Cheers
    Steve

2. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

They're all there on the middle road, sort of visible if you look. We haven't got any non-public areas for storage, but the middle road is "the road of shame" where some of the poorliest stuff lives.
    Cheers
    Anthony

3. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Thanks for confirming Anthony.

4. 2234 (45010) MR Steam Railmotor, i didnt realise this was in the collection anyone got a photo of it?

5. Bramblewick

Bramblewick Member

6. Anthony Coulls

I have a few from when we unsheeted it a couple of years ago for the Midland Railway Society, will have to go digging through the archive. They subsequently produced a nice little book on the MR steam railmotors by Stephen Summerson, look out for it.

7. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

I've got a few pics of the railmotor from a visit to Locomotion a couple of years ago, when I was building a 4mm scale model of it, taken with the kind permission of the duty staff (thanks to all), as it's in the 'middle road', as Anthony has previously mentioned. Will see if I can put them up somewhere & post a link in due course. (Must have been there at about the same time as the MRS were getting their photos!)

Thanks for the heads-up on the book too, Anthony. No copies at Shildon?

8. Anthony Coulls

I've never seen it apart from a copy that the MRS kindly sent me, and we haven't ever had it in the shop at Shildon. It's not on the MRS website, but this appeared on Google, may be worth checking out availability before committing:

The Midland Railway Steam Motor Carriages by Stephen Summerson

Stephen was an authority on Midland Railway locomotives, and was President of the Midland Railway Society for 2005/06. On completing his term of office, he enthralled those who attended the 2006 AGM with a meticulously researched Presidential Address on the Midland's Steam Motor Carriages. Unfortunately, Stephen died in April 2007, but before his death, he had passed over a manuscript based on that address, which the Society agreed to publish. This final work by Stephen is a fitting tribute to his memory. It consists of 36 well-illustrated pages - including covers - and costs £6.50 post free. Overseas rates advised on request.

Available now from: Nick Wheat, 56 Main Road, Holmesfield, Dronfield, Derbyshire, S18 7WT Cheques payable to Midland Railway Society.

The book may also be purchased online with credit/debit cards via http://www.Paypal.co.uk - Paypal address: midlandrailwaysociety@derby.org Please remember to add 5% to the price to cover Paypal fees imposed on the Society for using this service (ie £6.83) and remember to provide your name and address.

9. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Sorry Anthony.
    I have another query at Shildon ref Chaldron wagons.
    My contact reported three of these.
    ex Cramlington Colliery built 1826
    S&DR Rep built 1870
    31 - ex Londonderry Collieries built 1870
    He didn't have time to visit the Hackworth building but its been brought to my attention that another chaldron wagon is located here with loco Bradyll
    Can you confirm if the 3 I've listed are all in the main building and if/what the fourth one could be in the Hackworth building as I only have 3 as being here.
    Cheers
    Steve

10. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

Thanks, Anthony. Much appreciated.

Mark

11. Anthony Coulls

Hello Steve, all 4 chaldrons in the collection have been in the Soho shed for the past 3-4 years, there are two S&D ones, one Seaham/Londonderry one and the 1826 Cramlington one. NONE are replicas. One is a heavily restored one for the 1925 centenary though.
    Cheers
    Anthony

12. Bestieboy

Bestieboy Member

Thanks once again Anthony
    Hopefully I've now got everything listed correctly! I will have to make the trip from Portsmouth sometime soon!
    Steve