If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

midland railway covered van

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by 43729, Jun 28, 2018.

1. 43729

43729 New Member

I have finally made a start on a MR covered van i acquired several years ago.

Checking the vct register it is listed as a d633 10t fitted covered van with metal underframe.

After consulting as many books as i can and measuring what i have (wheelbase, axleboxes, wheel size, metal box frame , etc) i have concluded it isn't a d633 but instead it is part batch 955 of 50 wagons to d664 with larger axleboxes (w12) rated at 12ton. it would have been constucted in 1920.

while stripping i have found evidence that it would have originally been painted in bauxite from new.

this would make sense given the build date.

my question for you lovely folk is does anyone have a picture of one of these beasties in said livery during its brief MR time.

i know it is a particularly obscure corner of railway history, but for now it is my corner and i would like to get it right.

cheers.
    matt

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    30854, oddsocks, johnofwessex and 4 others like this.