If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Middleton Railway Social Meetings

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by ahardy, Jan 31, 2009.

1. ahardy

ahardy Member

Hello everyone.

Just thought I would post on here a list of monthly social meetings held at the Middleton Railway. The meetings occur on the first Tuesday of each month and start at 19.30 and end around 22.00. Our meetings cover a wide range of railway (and sometimes non railway) topics and are held in the railways "Engine House" display building. You do not need to be a member of the raiway or any other society to attend and all meetings are free. Refreshments are avaiable during the interval.

Im doing the next meeting, and am presenting a slideshow of images from the railways "preservation archives" from 1960 to today. Although the railway is not one of the largest in the country, it is the first preserved standard guage line and has changed considerably, with motorways built over it, museums built and even the landscape changing around it. The show will also show images of the early freight trains that the railway ran when it first started.

Below is a list of our meetings this year:

03/02/09
    Gems from the Middleton Railway archives

03/03/09
    The big railway before 1981 - Part 2

07/04/09
    Here, there and back again

05/05/09
    Still in steam, India, Nepal & Pakistan in the early nineties

02/06/09
    Zero inch gauge to broad gauge

07/07/09
    Railway miscellany

04/08/09
    tbc

01/09/09
    tbc

06/10/09
    NELPG - overhauling the K1

03/11/09
    Switzerland & Central Europe in the 1970s

01/12/09
    tbc

If you live nearby (or further afield) feel free to come along. There is ample parking and the "Engine House" can be opened to visitors wishing to see the locomotive collection.

Hope to see some of you there.

Andy Hardy
    Traffic Manager, Middleton Railway

2. Drewry Car

Drewry Car Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Due to the current weather conditions and the likely situation tomorrow evening I have just spoken to Andy Hardy and we have reluctantly agreed to cancel tomorrow evening’s meeting. It will be rescheduled for a future date – possibly in the summer with a barbeque and diesel train ride thrown in.

Please pass this on to anyone who may have thought of coming – it’s just the wrong kind of snow..!

Sorry

Ian
    (Social meeting organiser)

PS If anyone would like to present a show for us please PM me!