If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mid Norfolk Railway - General discussion

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by toplight, Mar 18, 2010.

1. dman-lewis

dman-lewis Member

Trainee CAD Draftsman
    Well I cant remember it all, One mermaid, maybe a buffer, maybe track and point linkages and locks.

2. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I visited Yesterday Here are some pictures, full album tomorrow

photos back soon

3. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

4. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

5. dman-lewis

dman-lewis Member

Trainee CAD Draftsman
    Nice photos dace, nice to see two part to the bridge delivered by us. Do you know where its going?

6. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

7. dman-lewis

dman-lewis Member

Trainee CAD Draftsman
  8. toplight

toplight Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The work on the loop, platform and signal box at Thuxton looks great. Well done to all concerned ! Look forward to having a ride on it when I am next in the area.

So some quick questions:-

1 In the pictures, the big ex goods shed at Dereham. What's it used for at present and are there plans to lay track back inside it, maybe use if for restoration etc ? I am sure I read somewhere that there is even an original GER stables inside ?

2 I found this link showing the old waiting room at Thuxton now a holiday cottage. http://www.clickholidaycottages.co.uk/holiday-cottage4383.asp
    Now wouldn't that be great converted to a waiting room ! Could this happen ?. Also I believe there was a similar one on the other platform. Could this be rebuild ?

9. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

The Stations along the route are private homes (apart from Dereham), When I visited Thuxton someone was sitting outside the waiting room having a cuppa. With the investment of the station owner at Thuxton I doubt conversion will take place. However the second platform buildings could in future be rebuilt, Although I'm not sure if this is MNR policy. The goods shed is used for restorations already, the wooden bit for the signal box is in there at the mo I think. The GER stable is a future project, for full restoration.

Seen here to the right of the goods shed
    [​IMG]
    Stable door
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. s1m0nad

s1m0nad New Member

11. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

How is progress on the line north going. i havent seen much information recently. do they have a date for the opening of the thuxton loop? would love to see this line get bigger with more stations and loops. who ownes the box and building on the same platform at yaxham ? they look empty

12. s1m0nad

s1m0nad New Member

Steady progress is being made on the Northern section with regular working parties - reports of the work carried out (mainly sleeper replacement, vegetation clearance and drainage) can be found at http://www.mnr.org.uk/news/volunteer.html and older reports at http://www.mnr.org.uk/news/archive.html. Track is now up to the standard that the visiting steam loco 9466 and a brake van could travel the northern section as far as bridge 1701 (http://www.mnr.org.uk/about/routemap/northallgreen/ - approx 14 miles from Wymondham) last Sunday (29th August)

The pway and signalling work at Thuxton loop has been completed and is awaiting inspection, the planned opening date is Friday 24th September with the Class Golden Jubilee Event http://www.mnr.org.uk/events/jubilee/ . The signalling is currently controlled by a ground frame pending completion of the signal box.

I'm not sure who owns the signal box and platform building at Yaxham, but the box important for the lines history as it is the only original one still in situ.

Simon

13. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

do you know if they plan to get to north elmham before they get to county school or just go straight there? is it possable to use both platforms at dereham for extra passing or is this something that will have to be done at a later date? this could be such a fantastic line in the future when its done. do they have a year when they think they may get there? sorry about all the questions im just interested haha

14. s1m0nad

s1m0nad New Member

No problem with all the questions, however I'm not an official spokesman!

My understanding is that the Northern section will be reopened in segments for the basic reason that the funds are limited and there is a lot of work and expenditure required to get to County School. The initial plan is to open to Hoe which is just over 2 miles from Dereham - North Elmham is a further two miles and County School is a mile and half beyond that. The only timescale currently being talked about is getting to Hoe in 2012 - but this is dependant upon volunteers and finance.

Your question about Dereham is well timed as the latest edition of the MNR magazine 'Blastpipe' arrived in the post today (available online at http://www.mnr.org.uk/shop/books/), and contains quite a lot about the future use the platforms at Dereham! The railway has just acquired the footbridge orginally at Whittlesford (previously stored at the Colne Valley, then at Whitwell & Reepham - but latterly owned by the North Norfolk). This bridge will be used as a replacement for the one that was removed in 1965 and will allow the use of both main platforms. This in turn allows Dereham to function as a passing loop, again loads of work is required including commissioning Dereham signal box and signalling.

Hope this is of interest

Simon

15. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

"do you know if they plan to get to north elmham before they get to county school or just go straight there"

They have to go to North Elmham first, although the original station is in private hands. A new platform will be built??
    Trackbed from NE to CS is looked after by the now renamed County school and North Elmham group.

Photos
    [​IMG]
    Trackebed between CS and NE
    [​IMG]
    The buffer stops and the end of the line at NE
    [​IMG]
    NE yard
    [​IMG]

16. s1m0nad

s1m0nad New Member

I'm pleased to report that Thuxton loop has passed an inspection by HMRI/ORR today, and therefore the first use of the loop will be at the Class 37 jubilee gala over the weekend of Friday 24th to Sunday 26th September - http://www.mnr.org.uk/events/jubilee/

Simon

17. Joe Petroni

Joe Petroni New Member

Just noticed on the MNR website that King Edward II is to operate on the railway next summer, along with Denis Howells Pannier Tank Loco.

http://www.mnr.org.uk/news/

18. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

19. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

20. Joe Petroni

Joe Petroni New Member