If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mid Hants Railway Spring Steam Gala - 30th April-3rd May 2021

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Ben Jenden, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Ben Jenden

Ben Jenden New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    6435 announced as first visitor

2. 6026 King John

6026 King John Member

Does anyone know when tickets are going to go on sale for the gala?

I am assuming that there will be some kind of Covid restrictions like last Autumn's gala but I'm still keen to attend. Last Autumn's gala was excellent despite the restrictions.

3. ruddingtonrsh56

ruddingtonrsh56 Member

4. Paul.Uni

Paul.Uni Member

5. D7076

D7076 Member

6. Paul.Uni

Paul.Uni Member

7. Ben Jenden

Ben Jenden New Member

Gala tickets now available

Attached Files:

8. Jonno854

Jonno854 New Member

Land Manager
    Well, I've bought my ticket for the Friday but there was no option of what train I was travelling on (surely not one train in use?), which end I was starting from, nor timetable, just 09.00 - 18.00. Very curious!

9. Paul42

Paul42 Well-Known Member

It was been stated before that the timetable will be like the Autumn Gala where there were 3 trains in operation ( and you will be allocated one of these trains) each hauled by all locos in use in turn during the day.You will be able to join your allocated train at Alresford, Ropley or Alton, and leave and re-join it at any station, althought the best place to take a break is Ropley.

10. AMP

AMP New Member

Interesting response from my request to be pre-booked on the first Alresford departure:

We are not allocating seats to specific trains for the Gala, you will need to plan your itinerary when the timetable information is added to the web-site.

Andrew

11. alts1985

alts1985 Member

Store Manager for the Co-operative Group
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The gala page on the website has been updated with quite a bit more information including the travel arrangements.

12. Ben Jenden

Ben Jenden New Member

That's interesting....

13. LC2

LC2 Member

IT
    From the Gala info on the Watercress Website

Covid-19 Information

The Watercress Line has worked hard to develop and maintain very high standards of protection. Seating is not allocated for this event to give visitors the freedom to explore each station and join whichever trains they wish. We will be cleaning each train internally every hour through the day and cleaning the drop lights, door handles and other frequently touched items at every station.

Carriages have “one way” systems to reduce contact between passengers, and the seating capacity of each train will be reduced by around 40% with certain seats marked as “out of use”. We have installed seatback dividers through our carriages which will also help maintain social distancing. It remains a legal requirement that face masks are worn on board all trains.

There is more on the site, but I think this is the info you are asking about.

14. Ben Jenden

Ben Jenden New Member

Yeah forgot to remove my comment when I saw the webpage earlier. Shocked was one feeling but obviously in a great and welcoming way of how the MHR has gone about it. I look forward to coming to ride behind the Prairie and Pannier one day and filming the second.

15. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Well-Known Member

I missed this here when it was posted (although did see it on another forum). The website seems not to be accessible so I do not know if more detail is given but will this not lead to lots of queuing for popular trains e.g. visiting locos, after lunch, late afternoon etc. How do you control access if trains arrive at the mid point stations almost full?
    Not planning to attend, although this would discourage me, but all reports seemed to imply how well last years system worked so I wonder why it has changed when things generally are not back to full opening up yet.

green five likes this.
  16. Ben Jenden

Ben Jenden New Member

5526 failed at Chinnor on Thursday and is due to return to South Devon on Monday/Tuesday for repairs. Apparently according to the Official group page thread it's going to be a lengthy repair. Have doubts on it visiting the event now.

17. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Yes, I had it confirmed in a phone call that no seats will be allocated and this did rather unnerve me having booked given that we are talking about an event in only a few weeks.

Whilst I presume that the MHR is limiting numbers of tickets that are sold I'd be interested in knowing how on earth they are making judgements about capacity given that a singleton would not want to share a table with a third party. And then there will be the inevitable bunching of people on certain trains.

I do hope that the MHR has thought this through as a sniff of bad publicity around this event will be all they need.

green five and MattA like this.
  18. acorb

acorb Well-Known Member

Surprising this, given Mid-Hants seemingly developed a good formula which has been adopted by other railways and received good feedback. I must admit I would think twice about booking, safety is still very high up my list of priorities and this seems a step backwards - however, you could argue what is being proposed is no different to national rail services. However, do we expect higher standards from a visitor attraction and day out? I would place value on having your own dedicated seat / compartment at the moment. I would be interested if this is a market led or economic decision.

green five and MattA like this.