If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mid Hants Railway Spring Steam Gala 2014

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by steamvideosnet, Dec 9, 2013.

1. chessie1

chessie1 New Member

Retired
    Thanks for the shots of the goods.

2. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

Drop me a PM with your email address if you'd like a copy

3. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    My video from Saturday. Thanks to all involved.

4. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    My video from Saturday morning at Northside Lane public footpath

5. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Ah that was the reason for the delay. I got to Alton for the 10:20 departure which arrived just before that and left late although it took a while to sort 925 and 850 out but didn't hear why everything was running behind schedule.

I'll have some photos of the last 2 days up later.

Sadly not going today as its a bit difficult getting there but had 2 great days down on the line. Sadly wth Braunton I only had her on a Ropley to Alresford but will probably get a chance in the future. Got quite a few trips with 35028 over the weekend though. Quite a few times it was standing room only. Met 1 sounded great on the shuttle I got with her (didn't sit in the best place on the Hampshire Unit though. Was quite bumpy waiting for the off.

Edit: Also you could photograph 34016 at the end of Alresford car park where the recycling bins are. I got 2 photos of her down there but aren't the best and you could only get side on pictures. A few carriages had been removed between Friday and Saturday so she was more visible.

6. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

My Father and I had a great day on Friday. Just got to Ropley in time (unbelievable traffic near home) to catch the 9.30 departure from Alresford with 35028 in charge. We had a very good round trip with 35028 sounding very nice with a perfect, even exhaust beat. By the time we arrived back at Alresford the sun had come out so that 35028 could bask in the rays in the cattle dock siding. 35028 is an absolute credit to the MNLPS. She was immaculate with not even a speck of dirt on any of her BFB wheels.
    We followed this with a very spirited run behind 31806 from Alresford back up to Medstead. Most impressive sound and performance from 31806 (although she was making some strange wheezing/squeaking sounds from the cylinder drain cocks when departing Ropley ).
    Final run of the day for us was with 34046 from Medstead to Alton and back to Ropley. The 15.35 departure from Alton was the highlight of the day with a superb tender first climb of the bank. Another Bulleid on top form. Didn't get a chance to go on the shuttle with Met 1 but at the end of the day we waited to get a shot of her Ropley. What an experience this was. As the sun set we stood and listened to Met 1 pound up the bank from Alresford for some time before she rounded the curve into the station. The 9F also sounded superb making the same climb. It's great to have 92212 back in the Alps again. I've really missed that distinctive sound.

We would like to thank everyone involved for putting on another superb Steam Gala. The MHR Galas really are an unmissable event these days.

Photos and videos haven't been taken off the camera yet as I have been a bit busy yesterday and today with my Parents Celebrating their 4oth Wedding Anniversary. Hope to put some pics and videos up later in the week.

7. evilswans

evilswans Member

8. FJR8642

FJR8642 Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
  9. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

This was a terrific gala. I was really impressed with the roster. Lots of opportunities to ride behind the two visiting Bulleids. Best of all was that the train locos ran into Alton, so that passengers could actually do a complete round trip Behind a loco. I had stopped going to Mid Hants galas, until last year's outstanding diesel event which also facilitated the full run into Alton. Another very satisfied customer!!

10. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Yes, a really good day on Saturday. Great weather in contrast to last year's MHR galas where one was freezing and the other was soaking! A good turnout although the trains were not too overcrowded. Shame that everything was running 15-20 minutes late but it didn't spoil the day at all. Actually I thought they got the timetable just about right this time in that there was a) Only one round trip with the freight train and b) Only one double-header. They have tended to overdo these things in the past. Star of the show was undoubtedly Clan Line. This is actually the first time I can remember it being at a gala anywhere. How the MHR managed to pull that one off I don't know but well done and thanks also to MNLPS for allowing it. It was great to get a chance to be on the footplate even if only for a few minutes.

The only thing I wasn't keen on was Met No 1 pulling the Thumper round all day. OK - I know that the MHR struggles a bit to find enough coaches for a gala but it just didn't look right. I did ride up from Alresford to Ropley on it and it just felt like being on a diesel unit with the noise of the Thumper's engine (I suppose it had to be live to allow the brakes to work) masking the sound of the steam loco. I'm not sure that the "shuttles" really add anything to the galas although it does allow them to bring in smaller locos that can't really work solo over the whole line.

11. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

The reason for Met 1 from an earlier post : -

12. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Another great day at the MHR. The gala looked well attended over the three days. Looking forward to the Diesel gala in September followed by the Autumn gala in October. Two photos from Saturday and Sunday. image.jpg image.jpg

13. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

I'm just back from the gala and I enjoyed the shuttle. Travelling in a Thumper coach reminded me of years long ago and it was the first time I have had the opportunity to be hauled by Met 1. Judging by the passenger numbers today, I think the shuttle must meet the needs of many visitors. It is of course somewhat idiosyncratic but short of borrowing a couple of the Met coaches it couldn't be anything else.

For travelling behind assorted big Southern locos, the gala was great. I had an excellent time.

14. Paul42

I think the reason they changed the loco from the incoming train to the outgoing train at Alton ( they have also done it at Alresford) was to give everyone a chance behind a visiting loco as well as reduce overcrowding. At this gala there were sufficient solo return trips behind the visiting locos( as well as starting them from opposite ends of the line. 35028 Alresford and 34046 Alton). Resting a diferent member of the home fleet each day was a good move, as was having the RAT/dining set behind one of the home fleet instead of the visiters.

15. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    A good day at the gala today, and fantastic weather to boot. Even managed to recover the early late running as well, so a big well done to all concerned.

[​IMG]

Railway Galleries - MHR Spring Gala 2014

Video to follow

16. chessie1

chessie1 New Member

Retired

I'd like that - but being thick as a brick I can't quite work out how to pm you, no magic buttons or anything....

17. Paul42

They are called "conversations"on the current forum software ( use to be PM's).Click on Simon's name and a pop up will appear, select start a conversation.

18. chessie1

chessie1 New Member

Retired
    Doh! Thank you very much.

19. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Clan Line active today, just left Alresford with much gusto and whistling! No pictures, I was just attending to the chickens in my garden. I now have a rather scruffy Bodmin at the top of the bank at the bottom of the garden!

One for Duty Druid from yesterday- not quite a "selfie"!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/13055404795/in/photostream

IMGP0514_edited_2_hf.jpg

KentYeti likes this.
  20. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    As promised, my video of events