If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mid Hants Railway Operational Matters

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by NightRail, Jan 11, 2017.

1. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

Any idea where 34105 is in the queue?

2. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Going by what was said by the volunteers doing the guided tours during the open weekend she has slipped down the queue due to the cracks found in the centre cylinder.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

3. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Reading between the lines, I think you'll be seeing 506 a lot sooner than this time next year! :)

Shaggy, Johnme101 and green five like this.
  4. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

Ah, that’s a shame. Many thanks for posting!

green five likes this.
  5. green five

No problem. I was really disappointed by the news. Swanage is one of my favourites from the Ropley stable.
    S15 506 is due out of the works next followed by 35005. Not sure how far off S15 828 is from returning to action or the other S15 499. It is planned to have both 499 and 506 in ticket at the same time.

6. Duty Druid

828 has suffered the unfortunate set back of having a serious amount of valuable parts nicked, if you remember, earlier this year - so that's at least 6 months or more behind....... & they just like the Urie lads would welcome folks dipping into their pockets to help see their charge up & running again!

7. green five

Yes, I remember and it still makes me angry. Did the Police ever catch anyone for the thefts or have any ideas about who the scumbags were? I wasn't sure how far the incident had pushed back the overhaul.

8. Duty Druid

In answer to the above - no - Old Bill not even interested = cat in hells chance of catching the bugga's or recovering parts, as they'd be melted down in hours.

Last I spoke to the Lads, it still sticks in the craw - original parts gone forever & serious money needed to replace them - so as I said - if you want to see 828 sooner rather than later folks, go see em in the yard at Ropley & bung em £20 - it'll soon add up! ;) :)

Oh, and from memory in answer to an earlier query, 850 is penciled in to the works after 506 is up & running..........

9. LC2

LC2 Member

IT
    Surely you missed a 0 and a 1 in that number DD ;)

green five likes this.
  10. sem34090

sem34090 Member

May I ask which of the two ULS locos is the one set to go into LSWR Holly Green? A lovely livery - The railway needs more green locos! ;)

11. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    I think the plan is for 506 to emerge in SR black but later to go into BR Black as 30506. 499 will be restored in LSWR condition - stovepipe chimney, no smoke deflectors and painted in LSWR green. (Open to correction by anyone from the ULS/MHR who knows better - I'm only quoting something I read somewhere - probably in Mid-Hants News- a while ago.)

green five likes this.
  12. sem34090

sem34090 Member

Oh lovely!

Actually... SR Lined Goods Black would be a nice one, and not one that I think has been seen in preservation recently.

13. green five

Thanks for the reply. Sadly this response from the Police doesn't suprise me. When my Dad's car was badly damaged some years ago by a guy who was completely off his head on some illegal substance the Police admitted they were only able to arrest him (after a long chase on foot through the streets during the middle of the night) because he had spat on one of the officers. It didn't matter that my Dad had just witnessed the guy throwing a paving slab through the passenger side window glass of his Ford after pinching the slab from our neighbours pick-up truck! The guy was eventually sent down mainly for the other offences he had committed earlier in the day in Aldershot town centre. The Police had already arrested him in Aldershot but he had managed to escape them!:Facepalm::Banghead:

14. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Just to clarify. If you're referring to the original centre cylinder, it has been known for some time that the casting was in a poor state and required a new one. However a new centre cylinder has been ordered, but I'm not sure at what state the manufacturing process is at.

15. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

You wouldn't particularly want to live in a country where one person's accusation was sufficient without some form of corroboration for someone to be arrested and potentially charged with an offence either I am sure.

16. sem34090

sem34090 Member

Quite.
    Anyway - I can't wait for the day to come when we can have services operated entirely by locos in non-BR liveries! ;)

17. Denbridge

Denbridge New Member

Seems a bit pointless without sufficient pre nationalisation stock. The MHR does a great job of portraying BR steam.

18. sem34090

sem34090 Member

That is true, and in some ways I agree with that. But having only one loco in green is a bit boring! You are right though, like Swanage it does a good job of portraying the BR era. I think perhaps more what I'm looking forward to is having a bit more 'native' non-BR motive power around - some SR locos besides the 'schools' and, even better, ex-LSWR locos as the S15's are! I do like the idea of an S15 in SR black - I imagine (if the later black livery, the 'sunshine' one, is chosen) it would still be compatible with MK1's, though perhaps not in green. But yes, you're right and part of me would be annoyed to see more non-BR liveries at the head of MK1's!

19. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

You would be surprised what gets to the courts.

20. green five

Quite right.
    Apologies folks for not giving the whole story as I was writing this during my lunch break and ran out of time. I should add that there were two additional witnesses to the slab going through the car window; the neighbour with the pick up truck heard the guy moving stuff in his pick up and was watching events unfold out of his window, and our other neighbour who was just getting ready to go and walk his dog saw what happened.
    After fleeing from the crime scene the guy then went on a spree of kicking over walls in Farnham, including one outside a busy pub and was witnessed by many people doing this. He was finally detained in Farnham. But he was only arrested for spitting on a Police officer!
    Sorry about the thread drift but I thought I should clarify what happened.