If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mid Hants Railway Operational Matters

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by NightRail, Jan 11, 2017.

1. 3855

3855 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    To generate several more pages of waffle?

johnofwessex, ghost and 26D_M like this.
  2. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Ideally there should be more one off generous donations, but unlikely. Looks like one condition was to make it mainline certified
    "The group hopes people can see Wadebridge departing London Waterloo in 2025"
    and if it did some occasional mainline runs could help the MHR with extra income and publicity.
    https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2020/11/mainline-return-for-steam-locomotive-34007-wadebridge.html

3. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

For clarity, is that purely on running and in service maintenance costs, or does it include allocation of restoration/overhaul costs as well?

4. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    My concern is that do we have to many loco projects chasing to fewer funds, be it a new build or just the restoration of an NRM artifact?

5. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

I did say I wasn't going to comment further, but that's a reasonable question so I will. It did not account for the difference in overhaul costs which are generally driven more by condition than by size of loco ( though obviously a new inner firebox for a MN will cost more in materials than a boiler for Talyllyn engine).

Chris86 and 26D_M like this.
  6. 21B

Future overhaul plans for the MHR have centred on the smaller locos. It doesn't look like it much because CP is one project and 34007 is another. The first is sadly long overdue as a result of far more extensive boiler work being required than could have been foreseen. Among other things NTD failed to find some of the faults later identified. (This led to a change in the way NTD is done on boilers).

34007 has come up the queue because money was available to do that specific loco thanks to a generous benefactor.

Here are two examples of the common reasons why overhaul of a steam engine in the 21st century doesn't run according to obviously logical business plans

All overhauls need space, people and money. All can be adversely affected or stopped by any of these. It is counter productive to keep starting overhauls until you have created the space, got a funding plan in place and identified the people. That's why 850 is still patiently waiting its turn.

Romsey, horace, Matt37401 and 2 others like this.
  7. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Thank you - and I promise not to probe further!

8. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

And if there were fewer projects, there would most likely be less funds too. People will donate to projects that interest them, not a small set of projects dictated to them by others.

9. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

You do need space, people and money, and for that funding to keep up with the work plan, To me common sense says, that once 75079 is done, that the team, who overhauled the engine, stay together and work on either 73096, or 80150 depending on what can be raised from a fund raising appeal, as ever the boiler is the most expensive part, but assuming that its a 4-5 year programme to overhaul an engine from what is scrap yard condition, there needs to be a far more active appeal to get a rolling restoration plan funded, over time to at least get the mechanicals done, frames, wheels motion tanks , once done the frames can always be shunted into the head shunt if the boiler work is not keeping up with the chassis, Maybe the team who did the overhaul on 35005, could start on 34058 , possibly at Eastleigh, the main thing is this, there needs to be a program of active fund raising , to fund each stage of the work, working on the 80000 tank, would mean that there would be a medium size engine availible to the railway, in time, plus an appeal to overhaul what are engines that have never steamed in preservation, might work better than trying to raise funds for an engine that has ran previously,

10. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Possibly. But people also respond to needs, so appeals based on providing what’s necessary might not do so badly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. 1729

1729 New Member

An Ivatt is perfect and efficient for 4 coaches, she could do more and has done 5 in its current ticket and done considerably more in steam days and previous tickets as those who remember her mainline career can attest

However the MHR isnt a 4 coach line for all sets, the primary Alresford set is currently 5 minimum and on a Sunday Countryman is 6 including a restaurant car which is heavier than a standard mk1

A good class 4 is optimal, but you have to take what you can get, a 9f was appreciated on snowing Santa days as she just worked

Also the Ivatt is a class 2, but she more than out performs most class 2's in her range

12. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    It was rather late at night Peter, and I was what’s known as ‘knackered’ after a long shift across 2 sites, I merely quoted the number in 61264’s thread (although I thought it wasn’t quite right :), I did know what locomotive he meant though:))

torgormaig likes this.
  13. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Reading all the above posts, most people are saying MN and possibly a light pacific are just too big for a preserved Railway and the optimum loco would be a class four or possibly a class five in the power range. How does a 9F compare to a class 4/5 ,I only ask because a 9F firing grate is 40.2 sq ft.

thanks

14. Tintagel

Tintagel New Member

80150 is a wreck with a huge patch in the firebox, most of the motion missing (I think the group have obtained some coupling rods) no injectors etc, and I doubt the tanks and bunker are salvagable. I'd have thought an overhaul would be multiple millions. This was an engine which got left in Barry for reason.

There are far better out of ticket engines to tackle.

15. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Most of what you list are fairly standard items for an ex-BArry engine, but even locos that have been restored and run some years can cost a great deal as wear is uncovered in the course of an overhaul. The NYMR are having an entirely new copper firebox built for 80135, for example. Personally I would think that it's better to spend a bit more and get a loco better suited to what is needed. You don't say wwhich locos you think are better prospects, I imagine 45379 might be one of them but early AW black 5s are reaching a stage where they need a lot of work. The NYMR's 45428 has been said to be in need of new frames before too long and 54379 might be in a similar state.

16. WesternRegionHampshireman

WesternRegionHampshireman Well-Known Member

Said that for absolute ages.

17. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    I have seen it elsewhere (45293's website) that 45379's frames are very tired and required not inconsiderable attention during her last spell in traffic.

Chris

18. 21B

Not much different to running a standard 4 bizarrely

Chris86 likes this.
  19. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    Out of interest, what is the latest on 76017 itself? Is she still marooned at Sheffield Park?

20. Ben Jenden

Ben Jenden Member

A1X likes this.