If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mid Hants Railway Operational Matters

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by NightRail, Jan 11, 2017.

1. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It is great that this particular hatchet has indeed been buried and what better way to do mark this but the return of this popular engine to the Mid Hants, I can't recall anyone associated with the railway ever speaking of 73096 in anything but glowing terms and as an armchair member, I too am pleased that this loco - which is so ideal for the line - will be returning with a secure future ahead of it.

I will say, however, that when 73096 departed the MHR, I, among others, assumed it was for a main line future under the WCRC banner. Now this won't happen and given the excellent performances 73096 put up on the main line in the early 2000s, that's a shame as there seems little likelihood of any other BR5 venturing onto the big railway now. I guess quite a few of us have fond memories of its performances on Daylight Specials and the early Steam Dreams charters. I thoroughly enjoyed my two runs behind it - once to Chichester and once to Canterbury.

However, I will always associate 73096 with the Mid Hants for one rather unusual and personal reason:- on Saturday May 11th 1996, I had to drive through Hampshire on family business and broke my journey at the Watercress line. 73096 was working and I photographed it - not one of my better pictures of this particular engine. I then returned home and then went to a friend's birthday party where I met the young lady who is now my wife! Although the two events are unconnected apart from happening on the same day, I cannot think of 73096 without recalling what was a very special time for me.

Matt37401, desperado, Shaggy and 2 others like this.
  2. OldChap

OldChap Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    In a moment of idle contemplation, I wonder if the future when 73096 returns from overhaul if MHR owned 45379 will be offered for sale? The black 5 was purchased as a de facto replacement of 73096 in the first place, does the MHR need it after the std5 returns?

Anyway I hope they build a authentic tender to replace the one she has now (the LMS frame with a BR1G tank) I would like to see a BR1B/C high sided version as she was originally paired with, or even better a BR1F as only a number of 9f's and std 5's delivered to the Southern were ever so fitted... 75077 also was coupled to a 1F for the last few weeks in service.

3. NightRail

NightRail New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    The last day in service for 73096 at the Mid-Hants was September 30th 2011. It was working a Footplate Experience turn, Greg Foxon and Neil Marshall were in charge. 73096 Final day in service. 30th September 2011..jpg

73129 and green five like this.
  4. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

I would still think there will be a need for the black 5 as regards the tender, there is a plan for the standard 4 4-6-0 to have a BR1C tender so maybe in time that may find its self behind the 5, and the hi bred tender can go behind the 4, its slightly shorter than a proper tender tank, so even if the MHR can have a BR pattern chassis made , the tank will need extending, not the end of the world, but a lot of work.

5. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Wonderful picture of 73096.

I also remember when she first entered traffic as 73080 Merlin. It was the first time my Dad took me to watch loco's climbing Medstead bank from the Motocross field at Four Marks (the location is now out of bounds). IIRC 60009 was also in use on the MHR but I fell in love with 73096. You could hear her pounding most of the way up the bank, her magnificent chime whistle signalling her approach before she rounded the bend and stormed past gleaming in the sunlight.

I hope to be able to watch 73096 in action again on the MHR with my Dad in the future. We very nearly lost him to an anuerism (brain haemorrhage) in early September and he is only now starting his long road to recovery.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

6. martin1656

i remember when it was turned out as Merlin, in lined black, i had a couple of turns on it, did it run in black as 73096? i can member helping mick paint her in " Henry Green" and soon after noticing she had the NR warning flashes, and thinking, how did we get that :) then watching her stretch her legs with the green train . knowing i had worked on her from barry condition.

green five likes this.
  7. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

My goodness that is fantastic news. 73096 is a fine engine and the 5MTs are a fine class. I too remember taking a Daylight Railtour behind 73096 to Canterbury and I was impressed though not surprised by its abilities, having been pulled by various standard classes of all sorts on my school train every day back in the sixties. They were more sure footed than the WCs and we young spotters knew that while less glamorous than a Bulleid, a 5MT would always get us home a minute or more ahead of the pacifics especially when the rails were wet. This is a red letter day. All we need now is the announcement of the extension to Itchen Abbas!

green five, Shaggy and cct man like this.
  8. chessie1

chessie1 New Member

Retired
    IMG_0370.JPG Looking forward to getting my hands on it again!

9. martin1656

Assuming you can get your zimmer frame on the foot plate by then :)

10. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

As some have noted, probably the most pressing locomotive issue is not which one to do next, or which tender to hook behind it, but how to protect what we have.

Swan Age likes this.
  11. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Simon,

Presumably the first issue will be to buy some land. The second is:- Where? Not something you would wish to discuss too openly I think!

Paul H

12. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

Wasn't there an appeal to build a running shed once? I think the building got built, but then got used as an extension of the loco works.

13. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Very good news for the MHR. I think 73096 was the first loco i rode behind on my first visit to the MHR in 1998 during a Thomas event when I was 6 I think. I have a pic of it at facing country at Alresford from that day somewhere at home.

14. martin1656

Yes the carriage works and boiler shop are now what was intended to have been the running shed, As with everything, land is an issue, there just isnt any suitable, without massive earth works , i suppose a 2 road shed could be put in where the manor was, but its made up land and not stable, then you have the problem of access as you would have movements of coal lorries etc theres the land at Butts juction, but its in the middle of nowhere railway wise and a shed there would need to be very secure, its a tager's dream, Cariage shed at Alresford is a posibility, but again by the time you have errected the steel work, how much space will you actually have? your talking massive expence, of course, if the farmer ever decides to sell the land next to the shed at Ropley, then thats a whole new ball game .

15. polmadie

polmadie Well-Known Member

16. nine elms fan

nine elms fan Part of the furniture

Retired
    Amazing news about 73096, might even get Bodmin back, you never know:)

domeyhead likes this.
  17. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    A Standard 5 is just the ticket for the MHR .... it's no wonder there are so many tails wagging furiously since the announcement and I can't imagine too many glum faces in the running shed or works either.

As to "Bodmin", now there was a loco whose rasping exhaust really sounded the part echoing around when departing Arlesford .... and they don't come much more 'appropriate' than a Bulleid pacific down that way.

18. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

That's not the way I see it. I'd expect JB to put the proceeds from 73096 into overhauling Bodmin for use on the mainline and anywhere except the MHR ;-) Bodmin is reputed to be the loco closest to his heart. Then again, I've been wrong about such things before, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Shaggy and cct man like this.
  19. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    I was given to understand that a running shed south of Alresford was mooted in the cutting roofed over a few years ago. What happened to that proposal , was it deemed unusable ?
    Regards
    Chris

20. martin1656

No that was the Itchen Abass Tunnel on the extension to Winchester chesil , it was muted that a second cut and cover tunnel be cut to join the military railway that isnt there, but is if you get my drift ( home of stategic reserve )

cct man likes this.