If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR Spring Gala 12-14th February 2016

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Hurricane, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    My humble offering from the weekend.

http://daverydingphotography.zenfolio.com/mid_hants_spring_steam_gala_2016

GSN likes this.
  2. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

My video from the gala:

James

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Well the only day I could attend turned out to be the coldest and wettest day. Never mind because the atmosphere was still there and the locos on show preformed excellently. The star for me was the return of the Ivatt. What a splendid job guys. The T9 will always be for me a star and again proved to be the case.

A few shots I did manage to get either between or during the rain showers or should that be snow showers?

PS. Also managed to finally become a member of the Urie Locomotive Society after several years of deliberation.
    001.jpg 002.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 006.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg 009.jpg 010.jpg

4. Respite

Respite Member

Retired
    This was the third MHR gala I have attended, the October 2014 and 2015 ones being the previous occasions. As before it was an excellent event although I was disappointed at the number of double headers and especially that the Q class only did one round trip each day on its own. It was difficult, with the working roster, to get trips behind the T9 and the Q class in and it was these two engines that made me make the trip down from Yorkshire.

The Q was quite a revelation it didn't half go and was also great for sound. The Ivatt tank looked good, it seems to be suffering from stuck drain cocks again already, hopefully a teething problem. The sheer amount of engineering work going on at Ropley on the locos is enormous. With Swanage, three S15s and the two class 4s you realise just what a huge task it is keeping these locos going. Time keeping has been excellent in the past and one of the guards told me 'this is a right time railway' this gala wasn't so good. I wasn't there on the problematic Friday but I understand getting the T9 and the Q together was the problem on the afternoons of the other two days.

With Lord Nelson and Bittern now out of ticket and Wadebridge about to be I can see the railway is going to be short of locos. 45379 is due to come out of traffic to have its frame repaired leaving 41312 and 925 and the 9F. There were rumours about the 9F having repairs I don't know if this was correct?

I was surprised at the poor attendance on Sunday given the lovely sunny weather. I know it clashed with Valentine's day but given the proximity to London and the M25 and M3 plus the electric train service I was very surprised. I look forward to future MHR galas, there is so much to see and await with anticipation to see what happens in October.

Hurricane likes this.
  5. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    Yes, Sunday did seem quiet despite the much nice weather.(see attached pics) Re loco availability, 76017 should be back in service by the middle of the year which will help. The repairs to 45379 shouldn't take too long once the coded welder becomes available.....I did notice that 925 was running this weekend rather than the advertised 92212. Thia weekend saw the Hampshire Unit out - 1125 starting up on Tuesday covered most of my garden in thick smelly oily smoke, as the engine had st cold for a good few weeks, it also woke us up on Saturday with a very noisy start!

[​IMG]
    Q at Baigents Copse
    by Arle Images, on Flickr

[​IMG]Ivatt by the Arle by Arle Images, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    92212 at Arle Heights
    by Arle Images, on Flickr

[​IMG]Double Delight by Arle Images, on Flickr

Hurricane and ykin01 like this.
  6. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Just a small post on behalf of all in the wagon group,to say a big thank you to all who came & saw us at Medstead over the gala, your generosity has really helped our 'fighting fund' for maintaining the freight rake you all love to see & photograph! :)

Hurricane likes this.