If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR Spring Gala 12-14th February 2016

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Hurricane, Nov 3, 2015.

1. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

I am afraid they are good at not holding trains for people running to catch them. Just like BR used to!

2. js5646

js5646 New Member

I enjoyed the chilly day at the gala yesterday and popped back this afternoon (following a tour around Eastleigh works this morning) to catch the Q on the freight. Images of both guests attached (and for both I was on the right side of the fence from the railway's point of view). The freight looked great (as always!) and a real credit to all involved.

Attached Files:

3. siquelme

siquelme Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Was a good day today I thought, VERY VERY cold but everyone seemed to be in high spirits and the Q class looked great tho the Ivatt stole the show for me she looked brilliant with the freight set in the morning.

green five likes this.
  4. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    Pleased to say we had a much better day despite the miserable weather again.
    Started the day with a good, surefooted run with the T9 from Alton to Alresford. Warmed ourselves up with some Chips from the West Country Buffet.
    Followed this up with a visit to Alresford Old Goods Shed to view the rather good model railway layout of Ropley station and yard (with 34016 and 73096 among the motive power) and we had a good chat with Geoff Burch.
    Later we watched 34007 performing a magic trick at Alresford as she worked her last freight and made the station disappear in a cloud of steam.
    Hopped on the shuttle with the 9F where we had some impressive acceleration out of Alresford :Jawdrop:
    Changed over to the Black Five from Ropley to Alton for another steady run up the Bank.
    At Alton we boarded the Round trip with 34007 which did not disappoint in either direction. Even though she is near the end of her ticket she certainly sounded in fine fettle today particularly on the delayed 15.20 run from Alresford. We had a wonderful soundtrack up the Bank from Alresford and then from Ropley as she was opened up in some style about half way up the climb. I haven't heard a Spamcan working that hard for a while. We even made up some of the lost time. I am certainly going to miss the sight and sound of a Bulleid on the MHR for a while. A great finish to the day which totally made up for the disappointments of yesterday.

5. Hampshire Unit

Hampshire Unit Well-Known Member Friend

Carer, Gardener
    34007 on that very same 15:20 departure (actually taken at 15;57) and then at rest on shed tonight

[​IMG]34007 leaves Alresford by Arle Images, on Flickr

[​IMG]Guildford Shed? by Arle Images, on Flickr

6. green five

7. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

30120 made a fine sight storming out of Alton this morning on the 1020. Fine sunny and cold so lots if clag.

8. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Storming run up the bank behind 30541. Quite outstanding and will I am sure be the best climb if the day. 34007 next having made 925 back from Medstead. Trains quiet at the moment

9. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    ykin01, siquelme and black5 like this.
  10. cymroglan

cymroglan Member

That was a great day out! The 9f really impressed me. Good to catch some spirited performance from Wadebridge before it starts what I imagine will be a lengthy hiatus. Great to see the Mid Hants operating such a thoughtful and busy timetable. I really enjoyed the comfort of the dining set, and could easily have fallen asleep therein!

11. Hampshire Unit

Carer, Gardener
    Come back and enjoy an evening on the "Watercress Belle" If you are very unlucky, you may find I'm cooking!
    A superb day today with some lovely light and spirited running

12. Hampshire Unit

Carer, Gardener
    Shaggy, ykin01, dublo6231 and 9 others like this.
  13. green five

Sods law in action again! Couldn't attend today and the weather was much improved
    This seems to happen quite often to me with MHR Galas.
    Still, I look forward to viewing your excellent pictures later as I have been looking at your shots from the first two days

14. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Yes a very good day and excellent timekeeping until the MHR shot themselves in the foot again by a SPAD with 30120 on the 1430 ex Ropley at the Alresford outer home followed by that time losing procedure of replacing engines outside Alresford so 25 late back. Compared to previous Galas trains very lightly loaded so I am guessing that a loss overall. Star of the show without doubt was 30541 but 41312 looked quite superb in the winter sunshine. And best of all there we were crossing the footbridge at Medstead to go back to Alton and the guard actually asked us if we wanted that train! Careful guys don't set a precedent!

15. 6026 King John

6026 King John Well-Known Member

Thought the loadings were quite good yesterday despite the horrible weather. I seem to have Green Five's knack of turning up on the worst days at the MHR. That's 3 out of the last 4 galas where I've got soaked. I really wonder whether it's a good idea having a "Spring" gala in February though. I think this is the second year this has happened - is it just to avoid a clash with other galas?

16. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Led to believe the main reason the gala is held in Febuary is to avoid clashing with other galas.

Attached Files:

17. Hampshire Unit

Carer, Gardener
    Loadings today seemed light, yesterday was busier! The weather finally produced some decent photo opportunities, whereas yesterday I spent most of actually on the trains!

45379 and 34007 at Rookwood lane, taken from the BOAT

[​IMG]Double Delight by Arle Images, on Flickr

18. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

Here be my video of the freezing cold Spring Steam Gala from today:

19. 8126

8126 Member

I don't think I could ever get bored of seeing the T9.
    T9 crop.jpg

20. A1X

A1X Well-Known Member

Insurance
    Video of the event now up