If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR Restorations and Overhauls

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by LN850, May 21, 2010.

1. Footbridge

Footbridge Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Waiting in the Cattle Dock, I guess the two tenders are next, then 'James the Red Engine' (31625)

[​IMG]

churchwoood likes this.
  2. dhic001

dhic001 Member

The BR front end mods do make these locos look quite different when compared to the originals. The originals look more delicate above front running plate.
    Daniel

3. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

Its hard to believe looking at it now, that it was once (not that long ago) a mainline certified engine…..

green five likes this.
  4. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Blimey - someone's done a spot of gardening along the running plate! :eek:

5. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Does anyone remember the last time 31625 last turned a wheel in anger.

Cheers

6. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

i thought that myself:) are they using just the one low loader for all the movements then? can they do Alresford to Perbeck, unload, then back to load up the tenders in the same day?

7. Duty Druid

I believe at least two tractor & trailer units are being used.

8. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    Happy Days! :D 31625 was a feisty little performer on the ML. Travelled on a couple of great Daylight Railtours with her (I think both are featured in the video). I also went to see her in action when she was involved in Steam On The Met and the crews really made her bark up the hill through Chorleywood :)
    It was a real shame that she didn't do more ML trips. IIRC she suffered with a recurring boiler problem which required it to be lifted off a couple of times. Her planned final ML run was in the James The Red Engine guise hauling The Red Devil from the MHR to the SVR. But she had problems again and 45407 was called in at short notice from Bury to haul the train, which was renamed The Severn Stanier.

I have trouble remembering exactly when her last runs on the MHR were. The only one I can remember (but not the year) is at a Gala when she was rostered due to the failure or non appearance of another loco. I remember it well as she suffered a serious priming on the climb out of Alton, with a bizarre roaring noise coming from her exhaust.

Swan Age likes this.
  9. 73129

One round trip from Alresford to Swanage ends up being 136 miles. Should be able to cover that mileage in a day.

10. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

I remember doing the trip to Bristol behind 31625. The return up through Savernake stays in my mind to this day, what a gutsy performance for such a relatively small loco.

11. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

I always think they must be near the top of their 4p classification? I suppose they do steam well which always helps!

12. Footbridge

Footbridge Member

I did notice that some bright spark had written 'Scrap to Swanage' (can't make out the middle word) on 31625's cylinder casing, uncalled for and cruel.

It is a shame it has had to suffer among all the troubles over recent years. I do hope that the start of this new chapter in its life will see it shiney, working and loved once more.

[​IMG]

jnc and Swan Age like this.
  13. Swan Age

Swan Age Member

Yes such silly comments however light hearted the intentions are uncalled for. Anyway I for one are looking forward to the day 31625 steams again.
    Why can't some people leave the past behind and look forward to a positive future for JB's moguls?

14. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

I agree, this chapter is now coming to an end, let it go, move on, you can not change the past, but you can help the future

15. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

well said. The new agreement needs to be given every chance.

16. Duty Druid

Gentlemen, I concur with your sentiments.

And I've just had a shufty through my images from Oop the head shunt over the last few weeks, and it looks like some "wag" did this a week or so ago! As you say "why"??? doesn't put the MHR in a good light does it?............. People forget, the powers that be, do keep an eye on this forum................... though bringing the culprit to account might prove a tad difficult.

So, in other news................................. anybody else noticed the Black 5 is "missing"?................................ its undergoing its 5 year intermediate... Jeez, how time flies! Has she really been out & about that long! :eek:

17. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/20998-mhr-black-5-45379-lit-up-for-first-time/ - just found these pictures when she looked brand new…….shame they can't stay like this!

Apparently she is getting a new ashpan as part of the works.

18. 73129

Hello Dave,

45379 didn't enter service until Sept 2010. So it can't be having a five year intermediate. I was led to believe it's having a new ash pan fitted and a few other jobs done on the loco.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
    Hurricane likes this.
  19. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Very sad. There was no need for that especially after all that has happened recently with this social media gubbins.

Good luck to the Swanage Railway with their new residents. I wish them all the best with the overhauls and look forward to seeing the N and U's working past Corfe Castle.

20. Duty Druid

Lee, I was told that at the weekend......................... time plays tricks as it goes on - who says it has to be five years?...................... so maybe the decision has been made to do the intermediate a tad early, given the amount of work she;s done, never mind the "holidays" she's been on! Prudent if you ask me.

Anybody else notice, we've gone from a home fleet of 5 to 3.5 in a short space of time?........................ ie the 9F should be back this week, making it 3. with no room for error! hence one o the growlers was out last week on a passenger turn, whilst 925 was being used for a "pay & play" with the 9F & 5 OOA, and I suspect 34007 under some kind of TLC........ I felt sorry for the crews on 34007 t'other weekend - 26/27th - cab temp reported to be 60F and humidity 95%+ - I know I died in the heat up at Alton on the 26th.......... :eek: