If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR Diesel gala 2009

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by 73129, Oct 25, 2008.

1. 4464

4464 Guest

Pilotmen do not have to stay with the same loco.
    The loco diagrams should change throughout the weekend with different combinations on Fri/Sun to Sat.
    33053 will not just be a brake translator for the 56. The 56 will always run with one of the vac fitted locos for a brake translator on passenger services and so a mix of 56+33/37/73 is possible. However, it can run trains such as unfitted freight etc without the translator. Hopefully you will see the 33 running trips on its own and also with an ED.

On the point with regards the length of days and the 12 hour discussion, one thing perhaps that people don't consider is that the staff who travel to work must also be fit to travel home at the end a shift - directors of any company cannot ignore this. Do not also forget the rest required between shifts for safety critical work. With all the will in the world of any volunteer, there are always rules to which they must work.

For MHR, the commute could vary between 400 yards to 130 miles. Every railway has a different volunteer base and the size of pool of qualified staff will also vary. One size doesn't fit all but we can always grow and will always welcome new volunteers.

2. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION

Chessie :

I too am mainly a steam fan though forthe period that the Mid-hants is in there is room for deisals too.There is also the boon of havong a deisal should we have a loco failure and of course the prohibitive cost of coal in these recession hit times is another reason.

We all have our likes and dislikes, however as a man called Malcolm Saker said to me once at the Bluebell Railway and I quote,"there is someting for everyone in preservation". The "little blue engine " events are also not my cup of tea these days but it brings in the income for us to continue our hobby so IMHO the management are to be commended for having another deisal gala.

Tongue in cheek you and I are old enough to remember steam on the national network wheras the next generation can only remember deisals when they were young.

Please take this as not a dig at yourself or anyone else, but like yourself just giving an opinion.

Best regards
    Chris

3. cct man

CONSTRUCTION

Chessie :

I too am mainly a steam fan though forthe period that the Mid-hants is in there is room for deisals too.There is also the boon of havong a deisal should we have a loco failure and of course the prohibitive cost of coal in these recession hit times is another reason.

We all have our likes and dislikes, however as a man called Malcolm Saker said to me once at the Bluebell Railway and I quote,"there is someting for everyone in preservation". The "little blue engine " events are also not my cup of tea these days but it brings in the income for us to continue our hobby so IMHO the management are to be commended for having another deisal gala.

Tongue in cheek you and I are old enough to remember steam on the national network wheras the next generation can only remember deisals when they were young.

Please take this as not a dig at yourself or anyone else, but like yourself just giving an opinion.

Best regards
    Chris

4. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    OOps posted my reply twice by mistake, can one of the Mods please delete one for me?

Thanks
    Chris

5. cct man

CONSTRUCTION
    OOps posted my reply twice by mistake, can one of the Mods please delete one for me?

Thanks
    Chris

6. 4464

4464 Guest

Duty, Honor, Country!

Intentionally spelt the American way..

Seriously though Ches, don't you think these diesels have some appeal.. It's just turn a key and go isn't it? Not for Westerns I believe but then they've always wanted to be different. 8-[ No middle engine to oil. No ashpan or smokebox to chuck out. I figured that would be right up your street :-#

To be fair, it is the pilotmen who are in the few this time since MHR are crewing the 08s, DMMUs, DEMU and 33.. Just the grid, slug and shoeboxes need a pilotman. Did I get those nicknames right? This gala is using more of the MHR home fleet than previously on a diesel gala.

7. MParker873

MParker873 New Member

Engineer
    I have just got back in from this. A top day out I got a ride beihind the 33, the 37, and the DMU's as well as seeing the 56 on the freight train. The first diesel gala I have ever been to and I would definatly go again.

8. ralphchadkirk

ralphchadkirk New Member Account Suspended

Yeah, found all that out today when it went up the creek.

9. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Hi all just a few photos from today.

10. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    In the Transport Laws its a max of 12hrs work.
    There is no mention of including time taken travelling to/from work.

It is the individuals responsibility to be in a fit state to carryout their full duties.

11. chessie

chessie Member

Say it quietly but I had an enjoyable day yesterday acting as pilotman for this. Due to a few problems with the 56 the timetable went out the window but we survived the day. Enjoyed the racket created by 37905 on full chat, glad to hear that this loco is to spend the next 12 months on the MHR.

12. LN850

LN850 Member

is that because 33053 is leaving?

hoenstly, the MHR should ditch overhauling Douglas at the moment and give their diesel fleet some TLC so 33208 can work properly again, as well as the black 08, the MHR loco flet really is in shambles at the moment.

13. chessie

chessie Member

No, 33208 is leaving for some tlc, as you put it.
    Why is the MHR loco fleet a shambles?

14. 73129

Great to see that 37905 will be staying at the MHR untill 33208 is repaired.
    \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

15. 73129

Reading Wessex rail gen today I see that 37905 is staying for 12 months.
    =D> =D> =D> =D>

16. LN850

LN850 Member

It is a shambles 'chessie' because they harely have enough locos to cover services. True, they have a 121 and 117 DMU and The Hampshire Unit (full credit to those who have restored it out in the open and in a good timescale). There is now 2 hired in diesels for shunting (37 and 33), which costs even more money. They only have 1 08 that is in good working order, the black one needs 'TLC' and the class 11, what on earth is happening with that?

The steam locos situation is also terrible. Everyone I talk to at MHR rambles on about the importance of the black 5 when it has the charisma of a dustbin. There are only 3 locos available (not including 5524 which again hiring in is costing money) and lets face it, thank god that 850 came this year else the railway would be in a right state. Bittern needs to get out on the mainline and one feels for Jeremy Hosking whos patience is clearly being tested.

The workshops also take their time. Just lay off on Douglas and shove it up into the yard for a while and concentrate on the 9F and Black 5. For ages the MHRPS has rambled on about the black 5, well just get it into service! the 9F is stands no chance of being inservice in July as is intended, the railway will be lucky to have it in service by September, just look at how long 34059 was fiddled about with at the Bluebell! The black 5 is always loosing money on its boiler certificate. And as to the boiler of 31806, it was origionally supposed to be back by spring 2008, but it still isnt there. If I were in command at MHR I would be on to Chatham steam and get them to work harder on it.

Normally I am very pleased to belong to a member of the MHRPS, however lately I have watched it deteriorate and become almost an embarassment!

17. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think someone needs to think before they type.

The steam situation seen as a shamble to you is just bad timing... the railway lost two locos in the same weekend (41312 & 73096). I can't see how that is their fault? And they now have 60019, 34007, 850 & 5224 to cover services for the time being... that's enough in my eyes...

I do fail to see how the overhaul of Douglas delays the overhaul of a diesel... the same people don't work on them. Arn't they seperate groups? I would be surprised to see pure steam enthusiasts restoring a diesel and the same vice versa. As far as i know both the Black 5 & 9F are in more advanced stages... i really don't think they can be hurried any further.... I also haven't seen anywhere that says the 9F would be back by July... i just heard 2009... you moan about the shortage then insult the Black 5 which will provide the line with much needed traction... you can't win!

I also thought the reason why Bittern isn't doing much mainline work was because she hasn't been booked to do much... not to do with the MHR needing her... surely if the loco is required to cover on the mainline the MHR have to make do?

And don't get me started on the thought of you being in charge at the MHR... ](*,)

18. 37255

37255 Guest

I seem to remember the latter being debated at some length, was a conclusion ever reached?

19. simon

simon Resident of Nat Pres

20. Small Prairie

Small Prairie Part of the furniture

Coach Driver
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Ok then , Not sure if your interestted . But the MHR try to restore and overhual engine to a high standard . Not in the fastest possible way to just get things running ....Think long term .

Douglus is a brilliant engine not only for thomas but as a small tender engine for footplate experiance ....Looks big , can sound big but uses very little coal and water . saves money in the long run.

9F , its soon to be out and running , i dont think you can speed up much in a time scale of just 3 to 4 months.

Black 5 , Might be slower then most restorations that people might be use to , but ours will come out in a much much higher standard .

Ok , so i cant talk and dont want to talk on behalf of the MHR , these are PERSONAL views on the progress and usefullness of the engines. but im not sure were the shambels is?