If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

MHR Autumn steam gala 2011

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by 73129, Mar 4, 2011.

1. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

There’s been an update on the MHR web site for the Autumn gala. The NEW date will be 28th to 30th Oct 2011.The original date was 9th to 11th Sept. There are two visiting locos 60163 Tornado and 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley.

http://www.watercressline.co.uk/News/Latest/View/438

2. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    Would be nice to have"Bittern" double heading with "Sir Nigel" don,t you think Lee?

Regards
    Chris:

3. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

What about having them top and tailing each other. Then we could have a steam HST set?

4. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    All we really need is 60103 to complete the line up!

60103 + 60163 double headed Mmmmmmmmmm....

Now that would be nice, come on MHR make it happen - please.

5. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    It'll be good to see No. 7 on the MHR again. Last time she visited she ran alongside 35005 when she was in BR Blue (well, until 35005 suffered a valve failure and was withdrawn) which was 1996/7? Just hope the weather is as good at that time of the year. Wonder why they changed from September? Have they got something else up their sleeves? I guess 60007 must have some ML work lined up in the South in October otherwise that's an expensive move down from the NYMR.

6. Duty Druid

I think the reason that they've got SNG & Tornado is that they should be appearing together at Barrow Hill along with Flying Scotsman for an A1 A2 A3 A4 line up earlier in the month, thats why I said it would be nice to see FS at the gala as they could all come down together.

Octobers just got more expensive!

7. green five

Now if they got Flying Scotsman as well ...................... I don't think there would be any room on any of the trains behind these locos!

8. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

The A4 at BH isn't supposed to be 60007,unless things have changed in recent weeks.

9. Duty Druid

I know that Barrow Hill's preferred choice is Bittern, but as usual is subject availability & at the moment neither loco appears to have any mainline work in October, so if SNG doesn't go to Barrow Hill then its a heck of a long light engine move!

I wonder if we'll get to see an A1+A4 double header over the gala weekend?

10. Oakfield

Oakfield Guest

Would someone be so kind as to advise the date of thee Barrow Hill Gala, as it is not yet on their website?
    Many thanks, in anticipation

11. Duty Druid

They're not advertising it yet as it is entirely dependent on Flying Scotsman being fit & healthy, so its a case of watch this space - if it does happen then it should be the middle of October.

Anyway back to topic..........................

12. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

The Cathedrals Express to York on the 30th September has 60007 & 60019 listed as the rostered loco's.

13. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

maybe not this year, but i would not be surprised at some point to see 4472 going through the gate at Alton , now if at some stage an A4 , A1 and A3 just happened to be at Southall one week end, with no booked work , if they could find their way down to Alton on the friday night and back on the monday morning you have got a very interesting gala line up

what would it cost to hire in 3 or 4 engines in one movement by rail in this way, either they run le and support coach or deisel hauled , compared to the possible takings , lets say you managed to get an all LNER line up of say 60009, 60019, 4472 and 60163 ,
    For me personally , i would rather it was 34046, 35027 and 35009 aided and abetted by 34007

14. Duty Druid

Yes it would be very nice to see a line up of LNER super power, if only Blue Peter could be overhauled!

Honestly though as much as I would love to see 4472 pounding up the Alps, I would be more than happy to see a K1, K4,B1,B12, D49 even the J72 on the shuttle!

I would also like to see an all Southern line up at some stage, but with out Wadebridge (unless it was in Southern livery). Swanage would make a nice change.

Anyway lets get the copper top gala out of the way first before we carry on speculating the line up for the Autumn!

15. green five

Just looked at the MHR site and saw that the special events page has been updated again. It strikes me that the MHR could be "shooting themselves in the foot" by now running Tornado for the weekend before the Gala with standard fares applicable. How many people i.e. non enthusiasts will now come that weekend to see Tornado rather than coming the following weekend and paying a bit more to see her running alongside 60007 and the resident fleet? Last years two autumn Galas were great but the visitor numbers were not good for the mixed traffic event. I hope they are a bit better this time round and that Tornado brings the crowds in again.

16. Duty Druid

Yes it definitely would be nice to see two busy galas, The Spring one with Tornado was extremely busy, but like you say the Autumn gala(s) were much quieter - probably something to do with Swanage holding theirs at the same time (same this year if the date hadn't changed) which is probably detrimental to both lines considering that they are pretty close together, so hopefully both lines will reap the benefits this year instead of detracting from each other!

Still - looking forward to seeing Tornado up close & personal in Brunswick.

17. martin butler

At some stage a southern region gala has to be done before 31806 moves to pastures new ,my hope that we will see the old T9 come home even just for one week end along with other visitors such as the M7 , both beattie tanks and an BR liveried terrier on the shuttles or pick up freight and the larger engines (MN,WC BB) running express non stop Alton to Alresford where you change to the shuttle calling at all stations to Medstead on the sunday with the Schools, u class and t9 and LN running the through expresses on the saturday and the bullieds in the yard

18. Duty Druid

Martin,

That certainly is a good idea and something I for one would love to see, though if you include a Friday for good measure, I think you may just give the planners a headache trying to workout the pathings, loco rosters double headers etc, but it would certainly offer something different and would most certainly be very authentic - bring it on I say (please Tim!)

19. martin butler

Pathing wont be an issue if you can clear the up siding at medstead local comes in, from Alresford, waits for the express to clear ,engines run round and follow in next path, or another loco is stabled in the siding, runs on , brake test and forms the return working the engine (s) off this stable in the siding for the next train and to act as relief should an engine become un servicible at Alton and at Alresford again engines could be swopped so you would never really know what is heading the next working you could even get swanage on a 2 coach local and the u boat /T9 on the fast

20. Duty Druid

It certainly is an interesting and workable idea, and would freshen up a gala no end with a constant permutation of loco combos & workings.

I think it is something the railway should seriously consider doing, though not at every gala, every one in three maybe so that it would maintain a level of interest & novelty factor given a galas specific theme.
    (I wonder could we possibly see this in October 60007+60163 double headed non stop - a sight & sound to behold!)