If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mersey Ferry 'Royal Iris'

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by Thompson1706, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Dan Cross

Dan Cross New Member

Dad, Husband then Tug Skipper & DAPS Chairman
    T Bird Frank wrote:
    "The Daniel is a superb piece of restoration - but can only ever be a minor player in the passenger carrying preservation world."

And your conclusion above is based on ?????

2. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I would imagine that Frank is referring to the passenger carrying capacity, which equates to possible revenue balanced against operating costs.
    The 'Royal Iris' originally had a certificate to carry about 2200 passengers when used purely as a ferry, but considerably less when used for cruising.

Bob.

3. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    That is exactly my point

She will operate in many ways like the Shieldhall - and therefore will not be a big player in coastal cruising.

Note what I wrote - not what you thought I wrote

The Iris - Bob - Mersey Ferries are reluctantly looking at reducing their fleet to cut costs just now - I don't know how anyone sees them suddenly acquiring money for a non core activity like that - and if money is splashing about it will be an even bigger disgrace if it isn't directed towards Manxman

4. Dan Cross

Dan Cross New Member

I am a little puzzled by your asumption that the Daniel Adamson will operate like the Shieldhall?
    By this do you mean the Daniel will only operate occaisionally and at special events etc?

5. Guest

Occasional
    I mean that she won't be going for a Class III certificate or simiilar, but will be seeking an exemption to allow restricted passenger carrying - but more than twelve.

6. Dan Cross

Dan Cross New Member

Good Morning T Bird Frank,
    Thanks for your reply.
    You are though totally incorrect in your previous statement.
    I do wonder where this information was taken from?
    The Daniel Adamson's Class V passenger license will be re-activated since it last operated under this regime upto 1985 and when restoration began in 2004, the time lapsed between the old Class V and working towards a new Class V license was under twenty years. This is an important point- more than twenty years and totally new rules would be applied.
    There will be no exemptions sought nor given. She will operate again hopefully within the next 2 years under a full Class V pasenger license for upto 100 passengers plus crew.
    The vessel will operate as per laid down in recently competed Audience development plans and will see regular useage allowing for use to many areas of public interest to travel on her.
    Education, special interest, public trips and corporate entertainment will be amongst the plans for her.
    Historically she is of greater importance than the Royal Iris and Manxman due to her build date, method of construction, art deco interior, machinery/ boiler and the various other unique features she has aboard.
    I hope you now appreciate what and how the Daniel Adamson will operate and what she has to offer and her importance.
    Dan
    I will post some photographs below to demonstrate:

Attached Files:

7. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

Sunk somewhere in the Med about twenty years ago if I remember correctly.

Edit. Actually rather more recently! See http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/viewship.asp?id=16258

Cheers
    Alan

8. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It isn't Mersey Ferries but Merseytravel, their parent body, who are behind the scheme.
    Maybe they're using some of the excessive profits which they cream off us poor Mersey Tunnel users.

Bob.

9. Guest

Occasional
    Exactly like the Shieldhall - and not Class III or IV with up to 850 and 600 passengers

There is a substantial difference - its called potential cash flow

10. Dan Cross

Dan Cross New Member

Mr TBirdFrank,
    You have obviously read a book on the MCA Class designations which refers to maximum number of passengers carried.....
    The Daniel Adamson will operate with a Class V domestic passenger license.
    You are obviously well versed in the field of preserved passenger vessels.
    Surely cash revenue v's capital outlay and running costs should be taken into consideration?
    You seem very dismissive of the Daniel Adamson.
    Does her importance count for nothing either?
    Why?.....
    Dan

11. Guest

Occasional
    I repeat

What is dismissive please? Kindly read what I wrote, not what you think I wrote.

12. Dan Cross

Dan Cross New Member

Clearly wasting my time....
    If you look at your earlier postings on the subject you were telling me the DA will be a minor player, seek exemptions from the MCA and operate like Shieldhall.
    Please accept at least you are poorly informed and incorrect on these assumptions.
    Dan

13. Guest

Occasional
    I'm sorry Dan - once you have a handle on actually operating the vessel - I presume on the Mersey - you will get an appreciation of the technical, commercial and financial difficulties of obtaining a return in those waters.

The Mersey is like operating on Network Rail -expensive and very difficult in compliance terms.

You will need a deal more than a ticket and good intentions

14. channel

channel Member

Assistant Harbour Master

As a personal friend of Dan I can assure you he knows only to well the difficulties with operation on the Mersey and has many years of experience with shipping operations in the area. There is a broad spectrum of experience and knowledge within DAPS with many maritime professionals involved, and indeed many commercial companies supporting the project.

Dan saved the DA, an important piece of maritime history from going to the breakers yard at the very last minute and I have every confidence he will lead the project in returning the DA to operation. DA is also an economical size for operation and is in an area rich in maritime history.

The project so far has been lead in a very professional manner and I am sure this will continue throughout her restoration and re-entry into passenger service.

15. Guest

Occasional
    Today we sailed past the Iris on the way to Tower Bridge in the company of a very good friend who's knowledge of the Mersey scene is unrivalled.

The ship is a total derelict and a very far cry from that January day when she last operated on the Mersey

I'm afraid that he - like me - knows that Merseytravel are in no financial position to embark on pipe dreams like resuscitating this albeit unique vessel.

They have statutory obligations far more pressing - unfortunately.

16. Dan Cross

Dan Cross New Member

It was fairly common knowledge that a lot the Iris is past it's sell by date and her hull is kept mostly water tight by doubler plates.
    Mersey Ferries are subsidised by MPTE to the tune of over £2 million, was never a starter.
    Thanks for your kind words Chris.
    T Bird, not really a fan of alter ego's, prefer to use peoples real names, be Frank with us please and give us your real name.
    Dan

17. Guest

Occasional
    Not that old chestnut again!

Just to advise the forum, the OP was sent a personal message a few days ago attempting to pass on information that would hopefully forewarn, so he knows perfectly well who I am.

Anyone who feels the need to see who is behind that acronym only needs to ask Google and they will be inundated with information, as my username has been on t'internet for almost a decade now and returns complete name and address and status details by the score.

18. iss

iss New Member

Education (retired)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Trouble with the U-boat it is one of those features once visited one does not tend to go back to! It really needed to be associated with a much larger museum and not a free standing exhibit in its own right. I went there a few days after it opened and it was quite busy, but will it be busy in next February?

I'll take a look then - I have bought one of those new Mersey Adventure Season Tickets which gives unlimited Ferry trips after 10:00 plus entry to the other Mersey Ferry attractions so it won't cost me anything!

John

19. iss

iss New Member

Education (retired)
    No I do not currently volunteer

20. Guest

Occasional
    Couldn't agree more, John.

The Three Graces should have been left with a pristine outlook, not obstructed by the carbuncle that is the ferry terminal.