If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

May 2009 Issue

Discussion in 'The Railway Magazine' started by ralphchadkirk, Mar 31, 2009.

1. ralphchadkirk

ralphchadkirk New Member Account Suspended

Just wanted to say how pleased I was with the current issue. Very informative and some very interesting articles. One small point (me being pedantic though) on pg 24, you have a picture of some staff at Milton Keynes mesuring clearances, the caption says "in the 'ten foot'", shouldn't that be six-foot as they are at a normal distance apart?

2. Selsig

Selsig Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    On a four track main line from cess to cess it goes cess, four foot, six foot, four foot, ten foot, four foot, six foot, four foot, cess, regardless of whether the six foot is 6' or 20' wide, same with the ten foot, it can also be as small as 6', or wide enough to accomodate a removed platform, pass bridge pillars or accomodate a retaining wall. The descriptions are as much to help identify a particular rail as for any particularly descriptive purpose, and it'd be senseless to have the two middle roads with a "six foot rail" and another "six foot rail".

Saying that, where there are odd numbers of lines it can get a bit obsure. In that situation you would tend to identify a particular six foot or ten foot (the down slow up side six foot, for instance) and can get a bit wordy.

John

3. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator