If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Masbury station appeal

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by dampflok, May 28, 2013.

1. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

Getting slightly back on topic, is it pronounced Mazzbury or Mazebury?

I followed a Peak Oil tanker near Bakewell last week :)

Dave

2. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

Ivo Peters used to call it "marsebury". By the way I have seen a very strange place called "Masbury Bummit" depicted on a map!

Paul H.

3. Great Western

Great Western Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I've noticed on the official Masbury Facebook page that people have started begging for money from the fund!

There is a message from a women who's father needs travel expenses to get from the Isle of Wight to Southampton for cancer treatment.
    Of course he is ex S&D engineman.

I'm so relieved I didn't donate, I can see money being 'donated' to these scams. Or people floating pie in the sky scheme and asking for money, it's happened already some chap wanting £1000 to start his own Radstock scheme.

Great Western

4. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

That's the issue with having a Facebook group where anyone can post, would be better have it set so messages have to be approved before appearing.

5. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Well I did donate (should I be relieved?!) but clearly not enough (!) and I did so on the understanding that, should the Masbury appeal fail (and I believe that it has not yet "failed" as such) my donation would remain with the S&DHT at Midsomer Norton for them to use to improve the Midsomer Norton site and extend the line to Chilcompton etc. I would be less happy for the funding to go elsewhere but that's the risk I guess. That said, the Masbury Facebook page isn't the decision-maker, rather the officials of the S&DHT (if I'm wrong please tell me - gently) so I'll leave it in their hands. The next few quid will be going on "bridges to Broadway" of course!

6. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Yes I am an active volunteer
    What group actually raised the money?

My understanding is that, if it is a recognised Charitable Trust, they are duty-bound to spend it on the purposes for which it was raised (which would go back to the wording of the original appeal). If that purpose is no longer viable, my understanding is that they have to make reasonable efforts to contact the donor, either to return the money, or agree on an alternative use. (If they thought the project wasn't viable now, but would become viable in the future, they could hold on to it - but only for that purpose).

Of course, if it is some other kind of organisation - all bets are off.

That's my understanding - happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

Tom

7. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

hurrah! :D

8. mogulb

mogulb New Member

Masbury Appeal statement 30.9.2013
    Taken from the S and D Railway Heritage Trust website:

"Members of the Somerset & Dorset Railway Heritage Trust and the New S&D met with the owner of Masbury Station recently in the light of the fact that the national Masbury Appeal income would be nowhere near the sum needed for its purchase. Whilst we did have alternative ideas such as redeemable bonds and timeshare opportunities, both Trusts recognised that this would take time to organise and that the owners had set the 30th September deadline for a reason. Whilst achieving over £80,000 is a superb response, it is clear that other competing calls on enthusiasts funds (with even more coming on stream over the next few months) will have had far more appeal than an isolated yet iconic S&D station.

The good news is that one of the Trust's members has come forward as a potential purchaser of the whole site and therefore negotiations have started with him and the current owner. None of the appeal money is involved in the purchase and therefore remains available for our joint potential involvement. Clearly until the sale is completed we cannot conclude with any certainty any negotiations with the new owner but what we are aware of is that he shares the current owner's vision for a working railway in the first instance towards Shepton Mallet and the first missing overbridge. This is where the funds we have raised could be assigned but there will be a considerable amount of negotiation that will be required. The Trust will be writing to every donor to see what they would like happen and how their donations may be able to help in that regard. In the meantime the appeal for purchase is closed but we may well be seeking future funding to help achieve joint aims. This does not alter the longer term potential to join Midsomer Norton with Masbury but we have always regarded that as taking anything up to 25 years to attain based upon experience on other heritage railways. Both Trusts and the potential owners would appreciate it if there was not speculation as to what may happen in the future with Masbury Station and our potential joint involvement until we are able to announce what is intended. That may well take until the December or later issues of the railway magazines before we have some idea as to the new owners intentions and aspirations and how we can fit in with them"

MogulB

9. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Was there ever a follow-up update about this?!

10. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

I believe that the station site was sold, not to someone associated with the project.
    No idea what happened to the funds.

11. 11D

11D New Member

The new owner is aware of the provenance of the old station and appears happy to maintain it - individuals are asked to please respect their privacy.

With this outcome (as above in the S&DRHT statement), donors were written to - some had monies returned, others left their donation with the Trust (charity) for future works at Midsomer Norton South.

12. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    In my case, I chose to have some of my funding returned to me and some retained for future works at Midsomer Norton South as I remain a member of the S&DRHT. Looking forward to the anniversary in 2016.

11D likes this.