If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Manxman

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by Guest, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Austerity

Austerity Member

Loco Fitter
    I have just heard that there is to be one last desperate attempt to save her. Apparently she is in pretty bad shape after the unsympathetic asbestos stripping job.

2. stan the man

stan the man Member

Thanks for the update, I desperately hope that against all odds she is saved.

Do you have any info on those who are spearheading this latest attempt?

Stan

3. GHWood

GHWood Member

Good luck to whoever is prepared to give it a go - I really do wish them every success!

4. CALEDONIA

CALEDONIA New Member

Retired
    We can only live in hope, its very frustrating not being able to get any firm news on her condition, Sadly i personally fear that it has got to the point of no return. No doubt if the removal of the asbestos has taken place, she will be in a very poor condition. Its so hard to realise that this nomadic existance has gone on for 29 years now, i never thought that back in September 1982 that we would still be looking to give this wonderful vessel a lifeline, not matter how slim, sad ,sad times.

5. stan the man

stan the man Member

Lets just hope this final attempt to save Manxman is succesfull, if not Im afraid it will be game over.

I really do wish the very best of luck to those who are trying to save her.

Manxman is an absolute gem we can ill afford to loose.

Stan

6. stan the man

stan the man Member

Is there any more news on the last ditch attempt to save her?

I have reliably heard that Pallion will start breaking her in earnest in 6 weeks but they will listen to anyone who has ways and means of saving her.

I really fear it is farewell Manxman this time.

Stan

7. Austerity

Austerity Member

Loco Fitter
    That's a little encouraging Stan-but realistically that has always been their stance. Maybe all is not lost!

8. stan the man

stan the man Member

Lets hope not.

One thing for for sure, if nothing comes up very soon it will finally be game over.

Stan

9. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

the problem is who has the ways and means to take on any large ship ? and Pavillion wont wait for ever, as far as i can see, there isnt anyone riding to the rescue of any of the historic ships mostly because of the vast sums involved

As i see it the only viable sane option is for everyone who might wish to preserve a historic ship is for all these separate groups to combine and decide on one ship that is a restorable, forget about Ryde , shes too far gone, im sorry , i too have fond memories of the sealink ferries that used to run between Ryde and Portsmouth but any attempt to preserve her should have been done 30 years ago when she was in better shape.
    That leaves just 2 as far as i know, the Dover and Maxman, which of these two would be the better restoration case and would it not be better to go for one and possibly get it, than dilute your attempts and lose both?

10. CALEDONIA

CALEDONIA New Member

Retired
    Looking at the recent photos of both of this historic vessels, it pains me to say it but obviously the Dover is a far better bet now to try and save, i think Martin Butler is on the right lines here, the Manxman is probably now realistically too far gone to make a sensible restoration project.What a terrible sad end to a magnificent vessel awaits the Manxman now, i suppose i am very fortunate to have had the wonderful experience of travelling on her and her sisters on many occasions, starting with my first trip to the Isle of Man back in 1959 on the first Lady of Mann - what a superb ship she was, now there is a tragedy that she wasnt preserved.

11. stan the man

stan the man Member

I absolutely agree with the above 2 post, I feel if we dont all get behind one ship we will have nothing. Sadly Manxmans condition is far worse than SS Dover.

Stan

12. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I can't help but feel that the only thing that will save her is a Euro lottery jackpot win and in the nicest sense that really is clutching at straws

13. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    It's very sad that a ship connected with an island where the main industry is helping rich people, especially bankers, avoid tax on their income can't be saved (or indeed hasn't already) by the generousity of some millionaire or two - but I suppose you don't become a millionaire by helping good causes!

Steven

14. stan the man

stan the man Member

How very true.... and incredibly sad.

Stan

15. brblue

brblue New Member

16. stan the man

stan the man Member

She could easily be put right if the money was there.

Stan

17. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    Forgive my ignorance, but did this lovely boat ply between Liverpool and the IOM?

18. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Correct - and was "preseved" at Liverpool (or was it Birkenhead?) until the property tycoon types took over and started "regenerating" the area beyond repair! (i.e. lining their pockets to the detriment of evryone else)

Which is actually sadder - the state a fine and supposedly "preserved" ship has got into or that fact that such an excellent shipbuilding facility can let her sit there for so long without being in the way?

Steven

19. Dan Cross

Dan Cross New Member

Dad, Husband then Tug Skipper & DAPS Chairman
    She was never "preserved" in Liverpool or Birkenhead but served for a short time as a night club in Liverpool docks then went to the East Coast in the same employment.

Having seen the pictures recently of the crack in her side and definite movement in her, I can't still believe people feel any amount of cash should be sought to restore her. Surely several smaller vessels could benefit from the cash and offer a greater heritage experience in several locations and sail as well. The price of fuel now only underlines the fact that any aspirations to steam the likes of Manxman or Dover in this day and age is simply not realistic.

Dan

20. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    Thanks for the info. I must have sailed this boat to the TT races when it was owned by the "Steam Racket Company". Incidentally does the "Fish and Chip Boat" still exist..........that horrible green and cream thing?